Friday, September 08, 2006

Do I take advantage?

I really think I must. See, I got a little mention on the Yarn Harlot's blog in her post about her visit to my fair city. Do you think that will spike my hit count? Um, just a tad. So...I'm going to take advantage (but it's all for a good cause, I promise). I am selling a brand spankin' new sock pattern (and for those of you who don't read my blog regularly, I am a relatively new designer but have upcoming sock designs in the Winter '06 Interweave Knits and the upcoming Big Girl Knits 2, so I've got a little bit of street cred).

But wait...this isn't pure self-promotion. My dear blog friend Karen, who is a long-time sufferer of diabetes, is raising money for the Walk for Diabetes, which she will be participating in on Oct. 15.



This sock is going to be one of my first self-published patterns, once I get my website redesigned and up. I am currently working on this with the fabulous Jordana Paige, who designs amazing knitting websites in addition to her awesome bags. She also helped me put my new pattern template together, and let me tell you, it is gorgeous! And you, my lucky readers, have the opportunity to get an early peek at this pattern (along with the new graphics) and a chance to help Karen raise money for a cure that could help her and others who suffer from this chronic disease.

I am selling the sock pattern, which I've dubbed "Karen's Sugar-Free Diabetes Walk Socks", for $5 a copy with all proceeds from patterns sold before the October 15th walk going towards Karen's pledge drive.

Additionally, everyone who orders a copy of the pattern will be entered in a drawing for three balls of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran (which is what the sample sock is knit in) in a color of their choice with which to knit said socks (or, really, anything you want to knit out of it - I won't make you use it for the socks!).

To order, just click this Pay Pal button to be taken to a secure payment screen:



I'll send you a pdf of the pattern via e-mail within 24 hours. If you don't want to use Pay Pal for whatever reason, e-mail me at knittinmom at gmail dot com to make alternate arrangements (you can mail me a check instead, and I'll e-mail you the pattern as soon as I receive it - I can also make printed versions available if you can't receive a pdf by e-mail).

Let's raise some money for diabetes research, boys and girls! And if you would, please help spread the word by linking to this post. Let's help put Karen's pledge account over the moon!

All right, shameless plug over! It just feels serendipitous that I got a link on the most popular knitting blog in the universe at the same time that Karen & I are working on this little charitable project. As the Harlot would say, Knit On!

13 Comments:

Blogger Jillio said...

oOoh....lucky! i swear, i want to be the yarn harlot when i grow up! :)
way to go, you! sounds like you had SO MUCH FUN! makes me wish i was still in Portland. look what i missed!??! *sigh*
GORGEOUS sock pattern! my oh my, that's nice. great job! i can't wait to see you published!!!!
i am twitchy today, and it's not because i just chugged my coffee...ack!
i better get back to work...

12:27 PM  
Blogger Jillio said...

btw, do you or anyone else you know have an opinion on the art institute of portland's bachelor's program on apparel design? i read on their program curriculum that they have courses on fibers, yarn, knitwear, etc. i might be interested in going there...you know...maybe...possibly...hopefully...perchance...well. yeah. something like that.
go look for yourself.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Lori Rode said...

Thanks for your support of Karen and her diabetes. I'm a type 2 diabetic, and I have my own type 1 who I'm supporting in the local JDRF walk. What a cool fundraiser. I'll have to work on my sock skills! (My diabetes blog is at vovhdiabetic.blogspot.com ) I hope it goes well for you both.

2:44 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Talk about traffic! I was dying to know, so I installed a blog stat counter and I'm getting at least a hit a minute--all from The Harlot's site. I wish I'd thought to do that this morning. . . .

4:35 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

What a great idea! Wonderful use of the traffic you will get and I get a gorgeous sock pattern. Best wishes on this fund raising.

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a fabulous idea for the sock pattern. I can't wait!

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there. I love that pattern, have a friend with diabetes, and heard about you from yvonne ( i was her sock saviour knitter from the uk). Is there any way I can get a pattern? or 2 or 3 maybe.......wow would I have loved to have met the Yarn Harloy!!!
Anne J.
Yvonne has my email address!

5:17 AM  
Blogger Ragan said...

Lovely socks!!!! Beautiful! You have been sooooo busy. I will try to post your link to the charity sock this evening...when blogger cooperates!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Ramona said...

I am one of those people who came over from Harlot. My Dad has Type 1 Diabetes and I will be more then happy to buy the pattern and support the cause. Breastfeeding in public is also an issue very dear to my heart. I'm glad I found your site. Keep up the great work!

8:54 AM  
Blogger NeedleTart said...

I actually came from CastOn web site. My DH's family all have diabetes and I love the socks.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Auntly H said...

You can thank Brenda Dayne for sending me your way. I'm not a fan of knitting socks, but I am Type 1 so maybe this pattern will be the one to make me a sock knitter. Even if that doesn't happen, I'm happy to support Karen's walk. Thanks for the opportunity.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

I got here from Knittin' Mittens. How'd that happen? Can't remember. But I want to donate to the cause & purchase your sock pattern. So I'll go to your PayPal link & do that now.

I'll get you posted & linked to my Blog over the weekend. Yay for sugar free socks! Keep up the good work!!

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your socks and I love the idea of donating money, so I bought the pattern this morning. I bought it under my husband's address and was wondering if you could send the pattern to my address.
Thanks,
Kimberly Gintar
lolly_de(at)gmx(dot)de

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home