Tuesday, August 22, 2006

It just wouldn't be right...

That is, for me to give out all the SAM1 prizes without forgetting something. And that something is the Brownie Point Prize. I think Karen can truly call herself a sock-aholic after knitting 39 brownie point pairs in addition to her five monthly pairs (she was a late entry, or I'm sure she would've had all seven months covered). Many of those socks were baby socks which she sent off to cover needy little baby feet. Rock on, Karen! And thanks for being patient with me as I'm sure you thought I totally forgot about you.

As her prize, she'll be getting a hank of Augustus, the August Project Spectrum Sock Club color from yarn dyer extraordinaire, Mama-E. Appropriately, it is in shades of brown (brown, brownie point, get it?). Hee hee!

I actually have some knitting to show you this morning. Yes, it's true! I finally knit something from someone else's pattern. This is the pre-felted version of the clutch from One Skein.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It's for my One Skein Secret Pal. And yes, I know that technically you can't do colorwork with just one skein, but it was stash yarn, and I think that the whole thing could've been done with just a single skein of Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Bulky, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. It was a great project - I knit the bottom two color bands yesterday afternoon and then finished the rest of it at knit night last night. Fast! Stay tuned for a post-felting pic in the next few days.

I got some yarny goodness myself in the mail yesterday, courtesy of Jill the totally awesome. Here's what she sent me for a late b-day present:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It's gorgeous sock yarn in my favorite colors from Everything Heather, and a little flip flop mop to wear on your foot so you can clean up spilled milk, juice, barf...whatever with a baby on your hip while talking on the phone (at least, according to the little picture on the tag). I love it! Thanks, hon!

We are being taken over by tomatoes. Literally. They're like tribbles.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is just a small portion of the total number of tomatoes we've picked in the last couple weeks. They just keep coming, and coming, and coming... If anyone has any great ideas about what to do with hundreds of tomatoes, please share them with me. We're desperate! I won't even tell you how many have gone on the compost heap because we just can't keep up with them (but at least they're going back into the soil...). Here are the out-of-control tomato plants that have taken over much of the front yard:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We also have crazy pumpkin plants that are growing over everything and these insane 12-foot tall sunflowers:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

You don't totally get the scale of these things from the picture, but the big one over on the right is reaching right up to the telephone line. The flowers on these things are like dinner plates. I'm starting to think that our house was built on some kind of radioactive toxic waste dump or something. But it's probably just the manure that was mixed into the new soil we bought last spring. It's incredible.

Bill finally got to fill the Jetta up with biodiesel yesterday. I drove it to knit night last night and got a nice aroma of popcorn as I was idling at stop signs with my windows down. So cool! I adore that car.

I'll leave you with this picture and I ask you, is it just me, or does this seem like a lot of shoes?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is what I picked up and threw into Bill's "shoe corner" yesterday while cleaning the house. Unfortunately, whenever I ask him how many pairs of athletic shoes one person needs, he throws it right back at me - "well, how much yarn can one person possibly knit in her lifetime?" Sigh.

14 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

Oh that's nothing. I counted eight pairs of flip flops and then there's the boxes of shoes. He has more than me! Thankfully, the yarn never comes up with us.

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, I'd just keep throwing his shoes in the corner and not say another word... :0)

11:00 AM  
Blogger Jillio said...

yeah, the "is there such a thing as enough yarn" argument is always a trump card.

i just got a new shelf from ikea (in a totally roundabout way...curse them for not shipping to hawaii!!! grrr...), which will be my new stash containment unit and twice as large as the first, so i'm thinking i might have a problem.
yay for birthdays! i was thinking maybe i needed to send you two of the footmops - one for each foot - but i couldn't find two matching colors. hehe.
i see salsa in your future. ;)
happy knitting, knittin' mom!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Brittney Corrigan said...

Tomatoes freeze really well! Just cook them down into a sauce, and toss them into freezer bags in family-serving sizes. Then you'll have great spaghetti sauce starter for the entire winter!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Bettina said...

Sundried tomatoes... if the weather is still hot and nice, slice, put on trays, sprinkle with basil and dry... 12 hours per day, full sun, until nice and dry. Cover with cheesecloth during to keep flies off. You can then pack them in jars with basil and cover with olive oil. Makes great presents to give to friends. Perfect with fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, avocado and basil.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

You could make tomato sauce and freeze it. Or salsa and can it. Just a couple of thoughts but it does take time.
That's a lot of shoes. I wouldn't say too much because I'm betting you have a lot of yarn. ;-)

12:28 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Man, I love that Vacation colorway from All Things Heather! I was *this* close to buying it from Michelle's Sweet Sheep shop and backed down. *pouts* I just have so much going on I couldn't bear to add another skein to the stash knowing I wouldn't get to play with it until well into next year.
And those tomatoes! Wow! That happened to us one year, too, so this year I got tricky and bought varieties that don't all fruit at the same time. . .
As for getting rid of them--neighbors! Push them on anyone that will take them. Plus the ideas from everyone else are great, too. :)

12:32 PM  
Blogger Manda said...

Since my first ever attempt at growing tomatoes this summer was quite laughable, I was very grateful to find a few houses that simply put their extras in a box outside with a sign marked "Free". :)

7:25 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

There is just nothing you can say when they start throwing yarn back in your face. Nothing. :0)

8:37 AM  
Blogger LavenderSheep said...

My mother has a similar crop of tomatoes. She blanches them, by dipping them in boiling water, to get the skins off, then cuts them up and freezes them. Then she uses them in soups and sauces all winter long.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I love the clutch. Please take picture of it felted too. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I'd can those lovely tomatoes and/or make chili sauce. Or, you could just give the extras to me :-).

7:55 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

That clutch is going to felt up so nicely! I like the colors you chose.

I get the same comment about yarn from my DH. Annoying, no?

2:24 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

You could always take the tomatoes to a soup kitchen or food bank - they could probably use them.

The clutch is so cute! I'm sure your secret pal will love it.

That orange, blue and white yarn you got looks great! Have you decided what you will make with it yet?

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home