Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I really should be working...

The kids are asleep, and I'm trying to finish up this pattern that was due on the 31st and is absolutely killing me. But I'm not, am I? Nope! I'm here talking to you, because I've got exciting stuff to talk about.

The first being our garden. As some of you know, we put some sort of magic, crazy super-soil in our garden beds at the beginning of the summer. In addition to millions of tomatoes, we've grown the world's biggest sunflowers.



They are just as insane in real life as they look in this picture. My graphic artist brother-in-law doctored this one up, although everything is still true size:



Crazy, no?

We spent most of the weekend just hanging around the house (me, furiously working on my pattern, Bill passing by occasionally with the comment "I don't think you're ever going to be done with that thing. What are you making now, 2 cents an hour?" and then a couple hours later "I think you're going to have to send money in with that thing."), but on Sunday we packed the kids in the van, met up with Katrina and her family, and headed to the Oregon State Fair.

You may remember that I was going to enter several things in the fair but totally spaced out on the day I had to drop them off. Well, Katrina is more organized than I am, and she entered two knitting projects, two beading projects and a jar of jam. She got a bunch of ribbons, and it was so much fun to go look at her stuff! We also spent plenty of time on the midway, as evidenced by these photos:


Sydney and Katrina's Girlie on the swings.


Sydney & ZimDee in the first canoe, Girlie taking up the rear, and that's Sproutie walking alongside. Aren't they cute?


Owen didn't meet the height or age requirements for any of the rides (no kids under 2), so he got a ride on Daddy instead. It was so sad to see him trying to follow the big kids up the steps to the ride, when I knew I had to go pick him up and comfort him as he screamed with rage and disappointment... I kept telling him to hold out for next year, but that didn't seem to make him feel much better. Poor little guy!

In all, we had a fabulous (if somewhat hot) time, and I'm bound and determined to get my stuff to the church on time next year... And Sydney made a new friend, who has been her constant companion since we got home. This is "Una".



Tomorrow is a big day on two fronts - first, Sydney goes back to school (I don't think either of us is ready for that) and second, THE HARLOT IS COMING!!! Yup! The Yarn Harlot will be in Portland for a reading tomorrow night, and I cannot wait. I missed her when she came through last year, but this year I'm totally ready. Although I have a feeling it's going to be utter insantiy (the clerks are telling people to be there at 6 for the 7:30 reading, which means people, including myself, will probably be there even earlier), at least it will be of the knitterly variety. I will have a full report for you, hopefully with some pictures, at the end of the week.

And now, back to work with me!

9 Comments:

Blogger LavenderSheep said...

There's a group of us from Hood River that are going to see the Yarn Harlot. We'll see you there!

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait!!!! I will only be able to stay for like an hour though because I have to pick my son up by 9pm. Oh well...any amount of time is better than none. :)

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm excited about seeing the Yarn Harlot, too, since she and I will be in Salt Lake at the same time at the end of this week. Family visits can be a good thing!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Poor little short guy! I don't think a two year old can quite grasp the concept of waiting until next year, esp since he has only lived two years..lol

Have fun listening to the Yarn Harlot!

12:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really should be studying... Ihave to take a kick-butt test tomorrow that will eleviate taking weeks of broing classes. Have I started? Nooooooo.... is it 315PM the day before the test?? Yesssssss.. Is my Stitch N Bitch meeting at my fav coffehouse tonight?? yesssssss... I think you see where this is going...
Enjoy your "free time"!
KellyD

12:22 PM  
Blogger lexa said...

Wow - those sure are giant sunflowers! Don't think I've ever seen any that big.

Poor little guy must have been disappointed to not go on the rides. Next year!

Have fun meeting the Harlot!

1:16 PM  
Blogger Lori Rode said...

Those damn clerks, telling everyone to be there earlier than I can possibly get off work. Grrr. I hope I get in. Why couldn't they get a larger venue for the Harlot? I'll have to knit to calm myself, now. Perhaps we'll run into each other there!

3:03 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Yikes - 6:00? Sounds like pack a meal and get there *really* early. At least the store isn't too far away. See you there, somewhere!

6:08 PM  
Blogger Teri.p said...

Your day at the fair sounds like so much fun. I have very fond childhood memories of trips to the Indiana State Fair. My mother often entered knit items, so we always spent plenty of time in that area looking around.

3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home