Tuesday, August 29, 2006

It really IS a small world...

So last night I'm sitting with a couple of my knitting mommy friends at the Yarn Garden. I'd just gotten done with a massive shopping spree:



which took full advantage of my 20% birthday discount card (I managed to snatch their lone copy of Folk Socks off the shelf shortly after it had been put there). I had it all spread out on the coffee table in the cafe to show it off when a group of people wandered in. One of them came over to check out my sock yarn and we started chatting. She mentioned she was from Boston. I thought she looked familiar, and asked if she had a blog. She said "Yup, I'm Stariel." How completely insane is that? She was just passing through town on her way from Seattle to Salem, just happened to stop by the yarn shop that I happened to be hanging out at (which doesn't happen all that often, sadly), and just happened to strike up a conversation about the sock yarn I just happened to have sitting out in front of me. Talk about serendipity!

Anyway, it was a total delight to talk to her (if you ever meet her, ask her about mouse sperm), and I couldn't have been more surprised to bump into one of you in a Portland yarn store (except perhaps Virtuella, who would've had to come from Norway, which is only slightly farther from Portland than Boston...).

I also spent a few minutes working on the Sweet Mary Jane Cardigan, which for some reason I'm still knitting on, dull needles and all.



Check out all the stitch markers! It's a 9-stitch lace repeat, and in the pattern she insists that stitch markers must be used - that they are critical to the pattern. I scoffed, thinking that it was such a simple lace pattern I certainly didn't need all those stupid stitch markers. In all honesty, I didn't want to have to do an entire row of *k9, pm; rpt from *. After several half-rows of tinking, I decided that I'd be better off with the stitch markers. So much for me knowing better than the pattern designer! For some reason those little jump rings make me think of lip or eyebrow rings. The knitting reminds me of the cousin in Vegas Vacation who has like 30 piercings in his face. Sadly, I do think that this will be set aside very soon for more work knitting. It was nice while it lasted!

11 Comments:

Blogger Sonya said...

What a lovely pile of goodies! I love the Folk Socks book. It's amazing how you met Stariel. Knit blogger serendipity!

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pile 'o stuff there!

12:41 PM  
Blogger lexa said...

Great stuff there!

I got my cashmere sock yarn in the mail today! Now I have to decide what I want to make with it. I'm not jumping on it right away. I want to make sure it's something special!

Did you get my package yet?

2:12 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Wow, nice haul! And sorry to hear about all the tinking. Sometime ya just gotta use those markers. :) I love the serendipity of meeting Stariel at Yarn Garden! She's in our Mystery Sock KAL and she knows Bryghtrose who was my SP4 pal! Talk about your (less than) 6 degrees of separation. *grin*

2:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi again! It was great to meet you yesterday. :)

We discovered yesterday (when I was meeting up with some other Portland knitters) that I seem to know everyone. All night they were talking about knitters who just happen to be in Boston and then I run in to Knittinmom at Yarn Garden!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

How cool that you got to meet Stariel!

4:29 PM  
Blogger soapy said...

HOw cool is that. What a small world!

7:48 PM  
Blogger jillian said...

What a bounty of birthday goodies!

Hope your big day was wonderful!! Happy Birthday!

7:13 AM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Hmm, yarn and mouse sperm. I never know what to expect on blogs. Lucky you on your yarn spree. The Sea Socks looks like so much fun.

3:54 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Meeting Stariel would be so cool--like you, she's a sock knitting goddess!!

10:19 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I still have to get out to the Yarn Garden - looks like it's not *that* far away from my house. Sounds like a nice place!

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home