Friday, October 21, 2005

I just can't help myself.

I know, I know. I have a problem. Hi, my name is Chrissy, and I'm a yarnaholic. (All: hi, Chrissy!)

The weather here has been getting colder. So, of course Owen needs a hat to keep his fuzzy little head warm. And something to keep his little feet warm. That's my lame excuse for going onto WEBS last night and ordering yarn for this - baby UGG booties and a hunting cap. I blame Crazy Aunt Purl for posting a picture of the booties on her cat and giving me the idea in the first place. I'm going to try to make some little matching mittens, too, since I should have a bunch of yarn left over. The ironic thing is that for the price of the yarn, I could've bought a real pair of baby UGGs. Plus, I was so close to the $60 cut-off for the 20% discount that I had to buy a couple skeins of this (color 119). I'm such a loser.

No pictures today because my camera battery just died. You'll have to read my blather uninterrupted. I just received my new Dansko clogs in the mail yesterday. I'd originally ordered the size equivalent to women's 7.5-8 (I used to be 7.5 but have grown to an 8 after two pregnancies). They were too small, so I had to send them back and wait for the replacement pair (which just about killed me). They're finally here, and I love, love, LOVE them. They're like wearing bedroom slippers with good arch support - so comfy! And great for wearing with knitted socks. Plus they're an essential part of the east Portland mommy uniform, and I do like to fit in... Mom, you would really love these!

I've been meaning for awhile to write about how much I love Portland. We are never leaving! I'm amazed that it took us so long to get here in the first place. Aside from the mountains, the ocean and the Columbia River gorge all within reasonable driving distance, the city itself is one of the neatest I've ever been to. We've just started scratching the surface with our explorations, but we keep finding little pockets of great restaurants, shops, coffee houses, etc. all over the city. We live right around the corner from a few really good restaurants and a great coffee shop just opened up very close to us. Plus there are three or four others within walking distance. Quite different from the suburban hell we left behind in California!

I've also made so many good friends here in such a short period of time. More friends than I made the entire 2.5 years in California and probably more friends than I had back in Minnesota even. People are so friendly and like to get out and do stuff, unlike in CA where people kept to themselves for the most part (plus the people that we did meet we didn't really have anything in common with). The moms that I've met here are smart, funny, friendly and just generally great people.

Another funny thing about Portland is how different the city is on the two sides of the river. For those of you who don't know anything about Portland geography, the Willamette River runs right down the middle, just to the east of downtown. The east side is relatively flat, built on a grid (for the most part), and mainly has homes that were built in the early 1900s ringed by homes from the '50s on the outer edge. The west side is very hilly, forested and has crazy streets running every which way. Homes on that side are generally newer and can be much more expensive (as Everclear sings in that song whose name I can't remember - "I will buy you that big house way up in the West Hills...").

The two sides of the city seem ideologically divided to a large extent as well. The eastsiders are liberal hippies, the westsiders are conservative yuppies. This isn't true across the board, of course (we have a few Republicans over here, but they're definitely outnumbered), but there are definitely folks who don't cross the river if they don't have to! It's kind of funny, actually. We didn't really know this when we were moving here and only bought on the eastside because my brother-in-law's house is over here. Now we're so glad that we're here! We are total eastsiders, through and through. Not that we don't like to go to the westside occasionally, but for the most part we stick to our little corner of the city and find there's plenty here to keep us plenty busy. I though Minneapolis was a pretty happening town until we came here. It's unbelievable how much there is to do, see, eat, buy, knit, etc. Can you tell I like it here?

In keeping with my liberal eastside heritage, I'll leave you with this funny little thing from the folks at Google:

Go to Google and type in the word failure… then hit “I feel lucky”.

Hee, hee, hee!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jillio said...

isn't portland AWESOME!!?!!?!! every time i hear that everclear song, i just about tear up, doncha know!?
you guys seriously need to take a drive to the coast one day and visit haystack rock where they filmed goonies, check out the tillamook factory for ice cream and cheese (mmm...ice cream & cheese), and head over to the rose garden when the roses are in bloom. the ringer for me is NO SALES TAX! i could shop at 185th all day if left to my own devices--after visiting all the yarn shops in portland, of course. then i'd blow my money on going to the opera or to a play, or spend a day at art galleries on first thursdays, or stroll around the portland art museum and have lunch somewhere in downtown. have you seen the saturday market yet? *pant, pant, deep breath..whew! exhale! aahh*
i was supposed to come up next weekend for the annual alumni wrestling meet at my college, but i couldn't make it. *sniffle, sniffle*

4:23 PM  
Blogger Jillio said...

and SHAME ON YOU!!!! buying more yarn! your DH is really going to have to keep all the credit cards from you now! (though i couldn't blame you; WEBS has some killer deals sometimes ;D)

4:26 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Uhmmm, I'm not quite sure here...do you like Portland? :-) I've never been there, but the pics you posted of the scenery and your yard were beautiful. That's too funny about the city being ideologically divided. Clearly, I'd have to live on the eastside. And through reading your blog, I know there's PLENTY of yarn to be found on the east side. ;-) You are TERRIBLE!!! I think you may have a yarn buying disorder. Not quite bulimia...more along the lines of compulsive over-yarn buying. :-) Although you definitely get credit for getting a discount (and a pretty damn good one, at that!). BTW- I did the Google search- hilarious!!

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home