Wednesday, October 12, 2005

My first Socktoberfest sock is done!

Here it is - the first Straight-Laced sock, in Knit Picks Essential, color Pumpkin. First (unblocked) on the sock blocker:


Here is a top-of-foot view:


And a side view (Sydney needed to have her foot in this one, too):


The Essential is a little rough when you're working it up, so I was a little worried that I wasn't going to like it. However, once it's on your foot, it's yummy. Nice and cushy and stretchy. I really like how it turned out. Can't wait to finish the other one so I can start wearing them!

I made one small pattern modification and bound off when the toe had 20 stitches left (10 on each needle) instead of 8 (4 on each needle) as called for in the pattern. The toe was getting a little too pointy for my taste and the foot was plenty long already.

I also got a few more little goodies in the mail today. I was surprised, because this order didn't take nearly as long to get here as the other ones. I was also delighted to find that I'd ordered the Knit Picks Simple Stripes yarn in the Vineyard colorway! I was just admiring this yesterday on Laura's blog (after forgetting that I'd ordered it for myself), and now I have some of my very own! Yay!


Here we have (from left-to-right)...
Top Row:
Essential in Grass
Wool of the Andes in Mist and Coal
Bottom Row:
Parade in Checkers
Simple Stripes in Vineyard
Wool of the Andes in Fog and Coal

I am sick today. Bleah. Fortunately Sydney doesn't seem to be getting this cold, and Owen has only a mild case. I think that's why he has been so difficult at night lately - if he had the sore throat I had, that would explain a lot! I also survived Saturday through Tuesday without Bill around. He had a last-minute trip to Laguna Beach (where he got to stay in a $700/night hotel suite at a beach resort and play golf at a $175/round golf course) to play booth babe at some banking convention. This was my first time totally alone with the kids, since Sue usually comes over to help. She's in New York visiting family, so I had to go it alone. It was easier than I expected it to be, although I was totally exhausted when Bill walked in the door last night and was only too happy to hand both of the kids off to him and sit like a zombie on the sofa with my sock. He doesn't travel too often, fortunately. I find it's a lot easier now that Sydney is older since she's better company (most of the time). She's getting to the point where it's like I actually have someone to talk to when she's around. I know this is only going to get more and more the case, and it's very exciting.

I'm off to cast on my second sock. I'm loving the 2 circulars method as long as I don't have to try to do both socks at once. I think I might have to give Magic Loop a try one of these days...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are Lurvly socks! Still working on my first pair. You know you're a fiber freak when you forget what you've already purchased. That's never happened to me. :)

3:23 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

great looking color on the socks, and like Lolly said, perfect for october. MMM, pumpkin pie!

Feel better soon... good to know that the kids can be manageable even when they outnumber you.

4:51 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Your sock looks fantastic! Love Sydney's foot in the pic. :) For someone who swore off yarn till next year, you sure manage to get a lot of yarn!! Haha! :) Just joking, I'm happy for you. Can't wait to see how that Parade knits up, and I love the Vineyard, too. It's always a little scary when you move from one-on-one to zone defense. Glad everything worked out and hope you feel better soon!!

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home