Saturday, September 10, 2005

Thank you, Miss McSpazzitron!!!

The mini-poncho gauge saga continues. After my rant yesterday, my blogging buddy Miss McSpazzitron whipped up a little purse stitch swatch to prove that, yes, you can get gauge on size 7 needles. You just have to be patient and stretch it a little! I'd knit a few inches on my 15s, and when I took a closer look, the middle part was stretching out to be quite a bit wider than it should've been. The bottom edge, however, was exactly 13", right where it was supposed to be.

So...I finally was successful when I cast on using a size 15 needle and switched to 9s for the rest of the knitting. It's working beautifully - nice even stitches, good gauge, and it knits up wicked fast. I managed to blow through a whole skein yesterday! Here it is, in all its glory:


Here is the stitch detail - gorgeous!


I am lovin' me the purse stitch. Thanks again, Miss Spaz! You are an angel (and a darn fine knitter). And thanks to my kids, who both miraculously took naps yesterday (even though Sydney doesn't do naps anymore), at the same time, so I could purse-stitch in peace. And thanks to our playgroup buddies Daniel & Annika, who wore Sydney out yesterday morning so she'd nap for two hours in the afternoon, allowing me to do some knitting...

Last night we met up again with Daniel & Annika and their parents for dinner. We tried to go to the Laurelwood Brew House, a lovely little place that has killer burgers and a nice little kid play area. We knew it was going to be an ugly wait since it was Friday night and we had a party of seven. When we signed in, we were told that it would be about 20 minutes. Over an hour later, we finally got seated. It was about 8 pm and the kids were all hungry and cranky. We sat at the table for another 20 minutes, and nobody came over to even take a drink order. The wait staff was all avoiding eye contact, for whatever reason. We must've done something to tick them off. We finally decided to just ditch the place and headed back to our house for pizza. It ended up being a great time - the kids all played nicely (this is a much bigger deal than it sounds), Sydney actually ate some pizza (this is also a much bigger deal than it sounds), and the grownups got to have a conversation without yelling to be heard. So, we managed to get our lemonade-from-lemons points for the night AND we learned never to go to Laurelwood on a Friday night with a big group.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I am loving the Mini Poncho - it's looking gorgeous!! The color is so pretty too. Can't wait to see it all done. If the children continue to co-operate you should have it whipped out in no time!!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Glad to be of help! Isn't it a beautiful thing when the people in your life cooperate with you? So much can get done that way...

I am working on the list you tagged me for. I promise. Maybe even later today...

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home