Thursday, September 08, 2005

Culvert was a flop...

I know y'all are going to be disgusted with me, but I'm thinking of frogging Culvert. I stayed up late to bind off the neckline last night (how could I have gone to bed with just a decrease row and the bind-off left?), and it wasn't the success I was hoping for. It is pretty darn cute (please ignore the desperate need for blocking and finishing):


However, there are a few problems. The main one being, I ran out of yarn for the top part before I was able to get it to the measurements in the pattern. I don't know if knitting another couple inches would've made a huge difference, since it wouldn't have changed the general shape or size of the neckline, but it might've given the shoulders a little more oomph. As it is, I can't keep the shoulders on my shoulders, and the days when I can wear an off-the-shoulder top are gone (at least until Owen's weaned, if not forever).

So, I'm left with the decision to finish up a cute-but-impractical sweater, which I will rarely if ever feel gutsy enough to wear in public, or salvage the beautiful, expensive yarn and use it for something else. I think I am going to salvage it. I already have a couple things in mind - a pair of Cargo pants from Knitty for Owen out of the All-Seasons Cotton, and some sort of striped shell for me out of the mohair. I can go pick up a couple balls of a contrasting color (I'm thinking red or orange) and design something up myself. It seems I'm having better luck with the things I design these days! I might try to modify Grumperina's Tivoli pattern. We'll see! For now, it's going to the end of the list while I work on designs (seems like everything's due at the end of September) and Christmas presents!

I got wonderful news from one of my NE Knitting Mommies - there is going to be an LYS opening in NE Portland this month! There is a god, and s/he is listening to me! It is going to be about two miles from my house, which means that it will no longer be a major expedition when I need to pick up a little yarn, a few needles, a little more yarn... I'm sure my husband is less than thrilled with this development. Although he does admit that my yarn habit makes feel less guilty about his athletic shoe habit! We are going to need to build him a shed in the back yard for his shoes one of these days... He can't stop buying them, and the fact that he has size 14 feet means that each pair takes up more than its fair share of space in his closet. Of course, I can't really blame him - his feet are so big that he really has trouble finding shoes in his size. When he finds them, he feels like he has to buy them!

Yesterday, my kids actually played together for awhile.


I am so excited that Owen is getting old enough to entertain Sydney (and vice versa)! This scene (no, Sydney did not lose an eye) allowed me to finish a few rows on Bill's Xmas gift #1. If you are not my husband, click here to get a sneak peek! No cheating, honey!

Now that Culvert is off the needles (and is going to die an agonizing death), I've got to decide what to start on next. Hmmm...decisions, decisions! Do I make something for me? Do I start on another Christmas present? Do I reknit Cow? I'll let you know what I decide.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jillio said...

*tag* you're it! you've been tagged with a meme. questions are on my knitting blog. have fun!! oh, and your kids are so adorable!
i wish i'd picked up knitting in college. i feel so disappointed now that i know there are so many wonderful LYS's in Portland. grrr...oh well. all the more reason to go back there. :)

11:02 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hey Chrissy! You have a great blog! Sorry about your Culvert. Try the Tivoli, it's a fun and quick knit and very, very wearable. I think you will love it.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

My first inclination was to hope you kept Culvert . . . it could never hurt to have something sexy in your closet, even if it doesn't get worn all that much. But after you said the yarn was expensive, I agree that frogging is probably best. Tivoli is really nice, I may have to try that one myself - thanks, like I needed another project calling to me :)

3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home