Saturday, September 03, 2005

More ways to help

Well, my midnight rant helped calm me down enough that I was able to get to sleep. Thanks for listening! Blogging as therapy - who knew?

Anyway, I am still kicking around ideas of how to help. A few of us have been talking in the Knitty Coffeeshop about putting together basic kits of materials for people to use to knit/crochet. I have also been looking around for local organizations who can help me get kits to the refugees who are coming to the NW. There is a great organization, for those of you who live in Portland or Seattle, called Katrina Housing Northwest. They are trying to find temporary housing for families as well as transportation out of the disaster zone and donations of household items. I just e-mailed them about donating clothes, toys, diapers and air miles. I also asked if they would be able to help me get knitting kits to people. We'll see what they say. Please check out their website and see if there's anything you can do to help.

I am also submitting an online donation to Northwest Medical Teams. This is another Portland-based charity that does great work. We donated to them as well as Mercy Corps after the tsunami last winter and were very happy with the work they were doing in SE Asia.

The knitting community is also appealing for donations to the Red Cross. While I give my money to our local Portland charities, I totally support what the Red Cross does and would encourage donations to them as well. Here are a list of prizes donated by various knitters (I am giving away a couple balls of Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino along with a pattern book) that will be given to donors who register. Click on this button for more details:



I am just devastated at the loss of New Orleans. My mom and I visited there about six years ago and stayed at a lovely B&B just outside the French Quarter. I keep wondering about the guys who were running it - did they make it out? And even if they did, I'm sure their place was destroyed or heavily damaged. The city will never be the same. Not to mention the destruction along the rest of the Gulf Coast, in Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.

Okay, I am going to wrap up my hurricane rant. I promise to get back to knitting and the kids tomorrow! Thanks for letting me vent, and I'll let you fellow knitters know if there's anything knitting-related that you can do to help.

See other aid-related posts here:



Register your donations here:
http://www.truthlaidbear.com/contributions.php

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home