Sunday, September 11, 2005

A package of yarny goodness

Okay, I'm going to try to recreate my post from this morning. Stupid computers! I was so excited to share the little package that my mailman left yesterday afternoon. My Knit Picks order FINALLY arrived. Do they ship via horse-drawn carriage? It seems like their packages take for-ev-er to get here.

I got this:


which I'm going to use to make these for my father-in-law and brother-in-law. The grey is going to be swatched for Branching Out.

I also got a couple hanks of lace yarn:


I was going to use the brown for Branching Out, but I ended up frogging the little bit that I did because it was too fine to really show the pattern off. So, these are going in the stash for now. They are both gorgeous, though.

And, this:


The orange is going to become a pair of socks, and the pink Shine is going to be swatched for Hopeful. I'm not sure that it's stretchy enough, but I might go for it anyway since I really don't want that form-fitting of a sweater. I can't wait to get them all started.

Which brings up a point I was thinking about last night - I am an adulterous knitter! I get really intense about a project (or two), but then when a pretty new yarn comes along, I get totally distracted thinking about how to get it on my needles. I start feeling like something is missing from my life if I don't have at least three projects going... What does this say about me?

Speaking of which, the Fall Knitty is out. I allowed myself to look, which might've been a big mistake. I'm trying to control myself. But check out Josephine, and Lacey, and Falling Leaves, and Samus... I really didn't want to look, but I couldn't help myself. I can't believe all these patterns are free.

I also have a strange affinity for frogging. I managed to get Culvert totally frogged yesterday. Here it is now:


I think it's because I love the yarn, and if I'm only so-so about the finished product, I'd much rather get the yarn back out so I can make it into something as lovely as it deserves to be. The work that I put into the failed project doesn't really bother me, since I really do use knitting as therapy. However, I don't think I'd be able to relax if I had great yarn trapped in a lousy sweater. And I really love that GGH soft kid! I was worried about how it would frog, since it can be really sticky. It got de-fuzzed a bit when it was coming out, but it survived quite nicely. I got inspired while fondling it and am now knitting up a little secret something that I'm going to submit for the Winter Knitty.

Okay, here goes...I'm going to try to publish... But first, I'm going to copy this message so that I have it if Blogger tries to obliterate it again!

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

No, you are not an adulterous knitter, it's just that there are so many GREAT patterns and yarns out there, it's hard to choose. I wrote my post tonight before I read yours, but you will see I'm going through the same thing. :) Oh yeah, I placed my first order with KnitPicks today, so I guess I shouldn't hold my breath waiting??

6:48 PM  
Blogger Jillio said...

Mmmm...yarn...*drool* i totally commiserate with you on the whole new yarn distraction thing. i get so excited when i get a new yarn that i want to knit it up as soon as i get it because i want to know what it looks like. especially self-striping sock yarn...mmm *drool* it's taking a lot of discipline for me NOT to buy stuff from knitpicks because then i won't have money for gas. no gas money, no going to work, no getting paid, no more buying more yarn. it's a viscious cycle, really.

2:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home