Wednesday, August 31, 2005

I'm in LOVE! / My kingdom for a full night's sleep

Today I have two post titles, which really have nothing to do with each other. The second was thought up while I was awake at 3:30 am, nursing Owen for what seemed like the 50th time. He is driving me crazy! Last night, he fell asleep around 10:30. I, of course, had to stay up another half hour to knit on my Knitty Gritty sweater because I wanted to finish the first sleeve and get it attached to the body (which I did). I finally got to sleep around 11:30. The little parasite decided he was starving at 12:30, 1:30, 3:30, 4:30, 6:30 & 7:30. Talk about not getting any kind of deep sleep whatsoever! My pediatrician recommended just letting him cry for a few nights and he'd get the picture, but I just can't withhold food from my child! I mean, what if he really is hungry? What if he's going through a growth spurt? I'm not going to let him lay there miserable with a grumbling tummy... I know these days will pass, and in the meantime, I have plenty of Diet Coke in the fridge to get me through the next day.

I can't remember the last time I went to bed in the evening and slept a deep, restful, uninterrupted sleep until the alarm went off in the morning. It was probably before I had Sydney. It is slightly easier dealing with the sleep deprivation this time around, probably because I've been somewhat sleep deprived for almost three years. It makes me think of a Ny-Quil commercial where the slogan was "It will make you sleep like you did before you had kids" and it shows a couple falling back into a cushy bed made up with fluffy white pillows and a huge down comforter. And we're thinking of having another baby...call us crazy.

As for the first title, that came about from my delight when I stumbled bleary-eyed into the living room this morning and saw a little white box sitting by the front door. My ball winder and swift came in the mail yesterday! I got home too late last night to try it out then, but I set it up this morning. Here it is in all its glory:


And here is the first beautiful ball I wound:


Isn't it lovely? This thing rocks - it is going to save me so much time. I can't believe I've never used one before! They always looked too scary to me in the LYS, and I didn't want to look like a total idiot trying to figure out how to use it in front of all the other knitters. I feel stupid now, because it is pretty darn easy. I especially love the brand name of the swift - the "K.M. All-Powerful Reeling Machine". I bow to you, All-Powerful One. So long, yarn barf! Now I just have to figure out how to keep my daughter from breaking it...


This is my son's new favorite position. He used to want us to hold him all the time. Now he wants to lay on the floor and roll around all the time. He will stay down there for hours! I think it's because he has just started rolling over from back to stomach, and he wants to practice, practice, practice. He now has a little bald spot on the back of his head where he's rubbed all the hair off on the carpet. Sydney, of course, likes to jump towards him and land as close as she can to his head without actually stepping on it. This bothers me a little bit (she has never really hurt him, but there's a first time for everything...) but it makes her father absolutely apoplectic. He rants and raves at her, which of course eggs her on.

Playgroup is at our house on Friday morning, which means I'm going to have to clean. The state of the house at the morning is bordering on uninhabitable. In fact, I'd better get started if I'm going to have any hope of finishing in time...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember all those sleepless nights.I found my son a lot worse for always being hungry always wanted to be breastfed I never thought he would get enough!
just remember to take a little time for you,us moms forget about that sometimes ;0)
cara
earth mother

7:25 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Does someone who doesn't have kids yet have a lot of nerve to give advice? Oh well, here goes anyway. Don't worry too much about the house - I like to think other playgroup mothers have houses in disarray as well, and will not judge (or even notice). Also, my godson went through the same always hungry thing - my best friend was told it's because they digest the breast milk so much easier. How soon before he can start having cereal? That's when my godson started to sleep!!!! And on the knit-front, maybe I'll have to look into ball winders - they do look scary but sound great!

4:38 AM  
Blogger Mamma said...

I feel your pain. We moved recently and it was just a month ago that I finally convinced all THREE of my children that it was alright to sleep through the night again. On a good night only one child gets up. On typical night all three would get up multiple times. Good times people, good times. These are the memories we'll long for someday. The days when they cried in the middle of the night and only mommy could soothe them.
Don't worry too much about cleaning for playgroup. I had a friend who's husband went crazy before playgroup came to her house. He was cleaning crazy places like the tops of the kitchen cabinets and recaulking the floorboards. And not one of us got up on a chair to see if the tops of the cabinets were dusty, and we all looked at the floorboards after she told us about it just so all his hardwork wouldn't go wasted (and they did look very nice). I personally never wash the kitchen floor before playgroup comes over because I know I'm going to have to wash it when they leave and I hate doing it twice in one day. Just enjoy being with other women who understand. I miss my playgroup.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

ooh, new swift and ball winder... i'm drooling too! i just got a ball winder and it's made life much easier. I just can't imagine what the swift would do.

BTW, what's the pink yarn going to be?

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home