Wednesday, August 24, 2005

My cow is turning into a FROG!


Well, I sewed the shoulder seam and knitted the collar on Sydney's cow sweater yesterday. Here is how it turned out (note the quarter used for scale). I don't know about your toddler, but mine has a gigantic head and a relatively big neck. I just don't think that collar is going to fit when it barely fits around my wrist! I am getting quite irritated with this pattern. I swatched and got gauge. I checked the gauge of the finished pieces when I blocked, and again last night just to see if I'd really screwed something up. My gauge is spot on! So, what the heck is going on? I also have issues with the size of the sleeve cuffs:


These came out super small. They might fit around her wrists, but I can't imagine trying to fit her hands through them (especially as she's struggling and yelling that they're "too tight, too tight!"). So, I'm going to frog it (unravel it, for those of you who aren't knitting lingo-savvy - and no, it's not an acronym that starts w/ the f-word, although at this point I think it should...) and start over, using the sweater pattern from The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns instead. I also measured a shirt that fits her the way I'd like the sweater to and I'll use those measurements instead of just assuming that the 2-4 size will fit her. It's amazing how much you learn from each project you do! Hopefully I'll be able to make the intarsia a little nicer this time around.

Well, it's time for my morning Diet Coke. My hubby went golfing before work this morning, and he's the one who usually makes sure Sydney stays asleep until a reasonable hour. Once she gets through the wee hours of the morning, she'll usually sleep in until 9 or so. Well, this morning I was woken from a dead sleep by screaming from her room, so as soon as I figured out where I was and where that horrible screeching noise was coming from, I rushed across the hall to try to calm her down before the baby woke up. I got her back to sleep, snuck out the door, and had one foot back in my bedroom when she started up again. After a couple more iterations of this back-and-forth, I finally brought her into our room where she promptly and happily fell asleep. Then the baby woke up to eat, and I had to get him changed and nursed without waking Sydney up - no easy feat. I tried to go back to sleep with one of them on either side of me, but it didn't really work with both of them kicking me and me trying to make sure neither of them woke up! Whew!

For the moment, the baby's still sleeping and Sydney is sitting on my lap making drawings of little egg people (heads with arms and legs but no bodies). The baby monitor is starting to snuffle, so my peaceful internet time is running out - I'd better publish before I perish!

3 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

When you say your going to frog the sweater (a term which I am proud to say I already knew!!!), do you mean the WHOLE sweater? Because I was assuming just the sleeves and collar . . . .but the more I read the more scared I got that you mean the whole sweater. Maybe you can't just make different sleeves and collar on another sweater body (see, here comes my knitting ignorance!). I admire your fearlessness - if I knitted that cow I doubt I'd have the courage to rip him (um, I mean her) out and start over . . . sob sob. I know, learning experience. :)

K

9:28 AM  
Blogger Mamma said...

That cow was amazing. I absolutely hate intarsia (probably because I'm so bad at it.) You're children are adorable. It's nice to see another combo mommy/knitting blog. Yes my kids too know the joy of a day spent watching noggin' because I just HAVE to get this knitting done.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I too am afraid you mean the WHOLE thing. Please don't! The cow is so darned cute.

I totally think that you could do something like leave one of the side shoulder seams open and add a button there to make it easier to get the sweater on. And then for the collar, go ahead and pick up the stitches all the way around, but don't join them and just make it a side split collar. You'd probably have to knit the collar a bit longer than mock-turtleneck length to get the split collar to look right. And then you could do the same on the cuff?

All that work on the intarsia cow just makes me cry thinking about the whole sweater coming out!

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home