Tuesday, August 23, 2005

We came, we knitted, we ate gelato...

The first meeting of the NE Knitting Mommies was a smashing success. We had two felted bags going, one in a cool lime green color and the other in a multicolored black-white-dk pink yarn. We had a gorgeous little baby sweater knitted in Berroco Plush (I think that's what it was...), the softest yarn you can imagine (the rest of us were fondling it all night). And here is what I made:



Yup, yarn barf. What a productive evening! I was stupid when packing my knitting bag, because I only brought one project which required hanks of yarn that have not yet been would into balls. I have a swift and ball winder on order from WEBS, and I wasn't going to use this yarn until I'd wound it with said swift and ball winder. I was not pleased when I sat down, opened up my bag, and realized what I'd done... At least I got gelato, a bear claw and some good gab to make me feel better. Thanks, ladies!

One of the things I was asked last night is how I can manage to be so productive with two small children at home. For those of you wondering the same thing, the answer is simple - neglect! My daughter spends more time in front of the television than she should (but it's all educational, so it's not so bad, right?), and my son dangles in his gigantic baby contraption:



That's what they're doing right now, while I blog, and I don't hear any crying. I mean, I don't beat them, I try to provide one enriching experience every other day or so (i.e. the zoo, the park, grammy's house), and I haven't yet farmed them out as child laborers, so I figure I'm doing an okay job of parenting!

That said, the boy is starting to squeak, so I'd better go rescue him. Hard to say what his big sister is doing to him right now!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Hey, as long as the kids aren't screaming, I say go for it! Plus they have lots of pretty things to wear.

Kudos to you for doing a cow in intarsia. I just don't have the patience for anything with blocks of color THAT small. How's that going anyway?

And the yarn barf, was that the "not quite enough for a whole if not teeny baby sock" yarn? And hey yarn barf is better than baby barf...

1:17 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

I TOTALLY understand about the "neglect" (I must use this term loosely). I have a 2 1/2 yr. old boy and a 5 month old girl. The boy loves listening to music and watching the Wiggles so I give him a good dose of both (especially while my girl is being good). That way, I know I can knit.
I usually try to knit at the same time everyday so my boy knows that it is "mommy's schedule" like he has his own.

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home