Friday, August 26, 2005

Swag-o-rama

The mailman brought something other than junk mail yesterday. I was delighted to see a little box full of prezzies for myself sitting on the porch yesterday. Here's what was in it:


The Baby Knits book came at a fortuitous time since we just found out that good friends of ours are having a baby in March - yay! Now the tough decision as to what to make the new bambino.

Here is another WIP that I've finally gotten out of hiding long enough to photograph. This is what I work on late at night while waiting for the baby to go to sleep (or after he has gone to sleep, on those blissful occasions when this happens at a reasonable hour). It is another Knitty Gritty project, designed by the fabulous Jenna Adorno.


The bottom ribbed section is in Rowan All-Seasons Cotton and the top part is in GGH soft kid mohair. I LOVE working with the mohair - it is so soft and decadent. It is a bear to frog, though, so it's fortunate that this is all plain stockinette and hard to mess up. The wormy-looking things around the middle are I-cord beltloops that will eventually hold a grosgrain ribbon belt. We'll see if this actually fits me when I'm done - I made the largest size, but I am slowly losing the baby weight as I knit. I can't decide if that would be a good thing or a bad thing...

Since I love Jenna's designs so much, I've joined my first knit-along - of her Hopeful sweater (because I don't have an endless supply of projects lined up already). I decided that I was going to do this, however, because Jenna is donating 120% of the proceeds from the sweater pattern to the Susan Love foundation for breast cancer research. Breast cancer runs in both my family and my husband's (both of our grandmothers are survivors), so this cause means a lot to me both for myself and for my daughter. Now I am looking for the perfect pink yarn (since pink is the color of the cause) to knit it in.

And just in case anyone cares (I know you don't, but here it is anyway), this is what I had for breakfast this morning:


Can you tell I have too much time on my hands when the kids are both asleep?

Last night we went to new parent orientation at the preschool Sydney is going to start attending on Sept. 22. I have really been looking forward to having mornings somewhat to myself (one kid instead of two), and I know that's she's really going to thrive there. It is a Montessori school run by Franciscan nuns, and we know several people whose kids have gone there and raved about it. I didn't think I was going to have any trouble sending her off, since I feel very comfortable with the people she'll be around and the environment she'll be in. I have no concerns for her safety, but as the sister was talking about some of the things she'll be doing and what the procedures are for drop-off and pick-up, I found myself tearing up. It's the first time that Sydney will really be doing something totally separate from me - it will be entirely her own thing. She'll be doing activities and forming relationships that I haven't had a hand in (other than enrolling her in the school in the first place). It's her first big step away from me, and it's going to be more painful than I was anticipating. I can't wait to see how she'll do there, though. She is such a creative little girl, and she loves to construct/deconstruct everything she can get her hands on. Montessori will be the perfect environment for her, and this is a great Montessori school. (Disclaimer - both of my parents-in-law are former Montessori teachers, so we have strong feelings about the Montessori method in this family.)

Now that the oldest will soon be out of the house five mornings a week, I can concentrate my evil powers on the boy (insert evil laugh here).


Here is my little narcissist enjoying himself in the mirror. He just discovered this the other night, and it was so cute. He started cooing, squeaking and jumping up and down like a crazy person, all the while grinning like an idiot. Now we have a new trick in our books - when he's hysterical, we just need to stick him in front of the mirror to calm him down.

And what would this blog entry be without a teeny tiny baby sock picture?


Are you sick of these yet? I am, but I need my size 2 needles back so I'm going to have to finish this sock one way or another. The other one may just have to wait until I get back in a teeny tiny baby sock kinda mood.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mamma said...

I know exactly how you feel about preschool. My daughter didn't go to preschool, but today was her first day of kindergarten and you've phrased so eloquently my emotions.
I love the baby socks. Makes me want to knit some for my kidlet (I love knitting the first sock, but I hate the second sock for some reason.)
My favorite tantrum stopper is to hand the child a forbidden blunt object.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Love the yarns - actually been wondering about ordering yarn. Do you only order yarns you've seen "in person" first? I've been tempted to order on-line, but worried when they came the color or texture would not be what I expected.

Can't wait to see how the Sassy Sweater comes out. It looks great on the web-stie - I bet it will be gorgeous!

And, those are two great kids you have there. Meant to mention how much I love the pic of them in all the yarn!!!

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home