Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Socktoberfest is back!

Socktoberfest sign-ups are open, so get over there (if you haven't already). It sounds like Lolly has huge plans for this year and it promises to be a rollicking good time. Go now! What are you waiting for?

I also found yet another swap to join - this one is Hot Socks and I just couldn't resist joining after I found it on Shelby's blog. It makes me slightly less guilty when I'm buying sock yarn for someone else.

Speaking of yarn, last night my knitting group met up at Abundant Yarn, which I don't get to very often because it's sort of far away. I, of course, had to gorge myself at the trough (and realized that I don't like knitting amidst all of that beautiful yarn because it's too darn distracting - at least at the Yarn Garden, the yarn is all in a different room so it doesn't keep catching my eye...). I bought yarn for four design projects. Since I can't show you the designs until they're done, I'll just give you a preview of the yarn.

These are little balls of Lana Grossa Newsoft, which is this stretchy, tubular yarn that reminds me of sweatpants. I've got plans to turn them into socks, but not for your feet...



These beauties are Cascade Luna, 100% Peruvian cotton. I'm going to design something for your kitchen sink with them (hmm, any ideas what that might be?). Can you see the little fingers at the bottom of the picture, reaching up to snatch some yarn?



I've been dying to get my hands on more soy yarn, and these little bundles of joy caught my eye as I walked past. They are from Knit One Crochet Two and are 53% soy and 47% polypropolene (anyone else wonder why they couldn't just make it 50-50?). I bought enough to design a summer top, but I haven't decided what it's going to look like yet. This yarn needs to be swatched so I can learn all of its little secrets.



Next up, some good old Cascade 220, which will be turned into a super cool felted bag idea that I've had kicking around in my head for ages.



And finally, some good old red and black sock yarn, with which to do some colorwork, my pretties!



I also picked up the final weapon in my Sock Wars arsenal:



The Addis of Death are ready and waiting for Friday's mission. Woot!

Since I haven't shown the kids off in a little while, and I happened to snap this picture of them playing nicely together this morning (you don't know how rare this is...well, those of you with multiple small ones probably do - it's rare!), here they are:



As soon as Owen saw me get out the camera, he started after me. This is his latest and greatest facial expression (my mother-in-law calls this the "Little Chief Thundercloud" face):



Yes, I am the one who gave him that horrible haircut. I am so sad that I forgot to take a before picture. Did any of you ever read the book Mop Top when you were kids? Well...it was getting pretty bad. Here is my best attempt at getting a better picture of it while he tried to climb up my legs:



MOMMY! I. WANT. THAT. CAMERA!!!

11 Comments:

Blogger lexa said...

Nice new yarns! Cute kids, too. (Yes, I know the rarity of quietly playing together. I think aliens took my oldest today and have replaced him with a robot-boy. He's been so good this evening it's making me wonder... Uh-hoh, by the sounds of it maybe things are back to normal! Knew it couldn't last.)

Got some brownie points socks on the blog.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Oooh, all that lovely yarny goodness. I can't wait to see what beautiful designs you've got kicking around for them all!!

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great haul! I can't wait to see your designs from it all.

Cute kids!

9:46 PM  
Blogger Lacey said...

Crissy, great minds think alike. I bought soy yarn before I came to Korea, and we have the same colors. I am going to make socks out of mine though. Isn't yarn shopping so much fun.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Lovely new yarn! Love it! And yarn that reminds you of sweatpants... Hmmmm. Sounds comfy.

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You are going to be very busy. Great yarn you got there. I just bought some of the Wick last night and can't wait to knit with it. It is so soft.

Your kids are adorable.

I just ordered your diabetes sock pattern and am thrilled that you are doing this! My 14 y/o niece has diabetes (almost died from it at age 2 when she was diagnosed - spent a week in intensive care with sugar levels through the roof!). I can't wait for the day that someone comes up with a cure. Thank you for doing this.

Julie

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hate to be the bearer of bad news, but white cascade 220 won't felt. bleaching smoothes the yarn too much, if you want white felted stuff, you need yarn that started as a white fleece.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Ragan said...

Awwww....lovely yarn...and lovely little face on Owen. Tee-hee.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Jillio said...

wow. look at all that yarn! where do you keep it all? and how is it that your kids haven't gotten into it? fabulous.

they're getting so big! look at owen! i remember when i first "met" him and he was this glowing little cherub. not that he isn't now, but he's quite more mobile and toddler-looking. :) i'm so jealous of sydney's gorgeous curls whenever i see her in pictures.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Glenna C said...

Your kiddos are adorable!
And good for you for doing Sock Wars, I was tempted but ended up chickening out ;)

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to chuckle when I looked at the picture of your darlings playing together. I just broke my foot in 8 places while trying to run into the living room to seperate my two that I have named Nip and Tuck......the 2 year old is a biter, need I say more OY VEY!!

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home