Sunday, August 13, 2006

Happy Birthday To Me!

Okay, today's not actually my birthday (it was on Friday) - it's my mom's birthday. So, happy birthday, Mom!

I wasn't here to post on my actual birthday. Bill took the day off, we played an early round of golf (yes, golf, to which I am quickly becoming addicted despite a lifetime of scoffing at golfers and their ilk), and then we packed the kids in the car and headed for the coast to do a little sightseeing and camping. We were supposed to stay at the coast for two nights but headed home last night after the temperature had hit 54 degrees and the sun wasn't even down yet...brr! The kids' sleeping bags are only rated to 40 degrees, and we were quite sure it would've gotten colder than that, so we decided to high-tail it back to warmer climes to avoid freezing them both into little popsicles.

But before I left, I got the best birthday present ever - I got one of 8 highly-competitive slots (I think there were over 30 people who applied) in Cat Bordhi's Visionary Retreat for self-publishing authors! It's going to be for a week in January in the San Juan Islands up in Washington, near Friday Harbor (I'll have to finish my Friday Harbor socks and wear them!). I'll be able to bring Bill & the kids w/ my mother-in-law along to help him out with the babysitting. This takes a huge load off my mind since I won't have to worry about night-weaning Owen before then (I know it's six months away, but better safe than sorry, right?) or dealing with a pump while I'm there. I am so excited, and this means that I'm pretty much going to have to go ahead with self-publishing my book. So far it's just a nebulous little idea, but part of the retreat will be dedicated to getting the book idea fleshed out so you can come home and run with it. Yay!

I had a good mail week last week, too - thank you to my wonderful One Skein SP Debbie for this amazing final box of goodies:


(Picture 1)


(Picture 2)

Yes, I needed to take two pictures to fit it all in. Wowza!

I also got my August Birthday Pal Swap package from JennyRaye. Here it is pre-tearing-into-the-paper (it was SO hard to keep my daughter away from this):



And here is the b-day swag:



As you can see, Owen's taking quite the interest in all that good stuff, which is themed around Jenny's home state of Virginia.

I also got a lovely little giftie from Katrina, packaged up in a cute little straw bag which isn't pictured because it's currently in use:



Yes, that's another copy of Knitter's Almanac (Jen sent me one, too). Guess I need to update my Amazon wishlist! Although one can never have too much EZ...

I will try to post some pics from our trip later this week, but today we're going to get right to the socks. We have some prizes to draw for, yo!

We've got two more late July entries - Chrissy knit some Peacock Socks and Abigail knit some Sea & Sand socks.

Now, I really hope that I got everyone's socks and letters and all that right, so please forgive me if I screwed up your stuff. It was not intentional, and you SAM2-ers can feel free to hound me via e-mail until I get it right (do be warned, however, that I try to only do SAM-related stuff on Sundays so if you e-mail me on Monday you'll have to wait a week to see if I can finally get it together).

But, before we get to all the prize-happy craziness, we have some August socks to look at. Mmm, socks!

Rachel has some Big Black Socks, some Leisure Socks and some Mystery Socks done so far this month. That's a lotta socks!

Gerlinde knit up these babies from some sock yarn she got in Germany:



Karen knit up these lavender beauties for the Mystery Sock KAL and also test knit a pair of Opal socks for her sister.

Nadine made some blue Lana Grossa socks for her dad.

Bettina knit up some gorgeous Baudelaires.

Abigail has finished some August socks as well in the midst of a crazy dishcloth frenzy. They look very autumn, don't they?

Jill finished some socks on her birthday, and has the pictures to prove it!

Lisa has pics of some sock soles (she knit them for me, and you're not allowed to see the whole thing(s) yet).

Sheri knit up some crazy-cool rpms from fellow SAM-er Aija's pattern in the Summer knitty. Woot!

Vicki's got Lace Leaf socks OTN.

Julia has River Rapids socks done.

Nelda knit some gorgeous black-and-orange August socks.

Jennie finished her 4th pair of Jaywalkers. She's got a pair of River Rapids, too!

Laura threw her socks in the ring with a simple pair of Simple Stripes socks!

Manda (who I just realized is of the Knitting Psychos podcast) finished a pair of The Pattern That Just Won't Die. I mean, Jaywalkers. (I do love the pattern, really!)

Helga made some Fixation socks that she's in total love with.

All right, it's time to get the kiddos to bed and I didn't have time to get the prize drawings organized yet. Boo! I also have a bunch of new SAM2-ers to add to the list, so stay tuned. I'll get them up very soon, I promise!

9 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

Happy Birthday (to your mom, too)! And congratulations on the Cat Bordhi retreat--that's really exciting. We spent last weekend up at Orcas Island and it was gorgeous as always. Whew, what gifties you've been getting! How fun. :)

10:50 PM  
Blogger Bitterknitter said...

Happy Birthday! And there should be another goody of sorts arriving on your doorstep in the next day or so; I didn't get to the PO until Thursday PM.

-Lisa

7:15 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Happy birthday to you and to your mom! Congratulations on the retreat!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

Happy Birthday! So glad to hear you had a great day, and congratulations on the retreat. How exciting :0)

8:06 AM  
Blogger jillian said...

Happy belted birthday to you and your mum!! Congrats on the retreat, too!

8:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy birthday! And congrats on going to the retreat. When I was at University of Washington I did a research thing up on San Juan Island in Friday Harbor for a few months. The University owns labs up there. It's really beautiful!

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the retreat and belated birthday wishes to you and your mom.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Jillio said...

Belated happy happies to you and your mom! Sorry I wasn't able to post on time :( I have something to send you, too! But that will also be late... gah! I'm a master procrastinator. But you look like you have LOTS of swag to play with already :) Congratulations on the retreat slot :) yay!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Ragan said...

Happy belated birthday!!!

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home