Saturday, September 23, 2006

Can't blog...knitting!

Can you believe that I was up until 1:30 am this morning knitting the Socks of Doom? How pathetic is that? I think I've finally gotten my head around how sock wars is supposed to work, and realized that it doesn't really matter how fast I knit my socks if my assassin's assassin doesn't kill her (I'm going to use "her" here since most, but not all, Sock Warriors are female) before she finishes my socks. The way Stariel the logic genius described it, basically when you get a finished pair of sock in the mail, you're finished, even if you've already sent your finished pair on. The only way to not be finished is if your assassin gets killed before she can finish your socks. So by knitting your socks quickly, you're really helping your target's target by taking her out. And Yarn Monkey finally figured out a way to have a swap where the people who get flaked out on actually benefit by moving up the chain (and the people who get killed benefit by having a pair of socks - it's a win-win situation!). I still haven't gotten my dossier in the e-mail yet (that sounds weird, even though we say "in the mail" all the time...), but I do have my target's name and foot size now. I've got her firmly in my sights! Bwahahaha!

On Thursday night, I was joined at my knitting guild meeting by not one but two of the knitterati. MK Carroll is in town visiting a friend who happens to live about 10 blocks from me, so I picked her up and took her with me (even though she was admittedly skeptical of how much fun a knitting guild meeting would be...). Once there, we met up with blogless Donna, Amanda and Katrina. After the meeting got going, who should sneak in the back but Marnie MacLean who just recently moved to Portland! Here are the cool knitting cats:



From left to right, we have Katrina, Marnie (modeling her uber-cool Crime of Fashion scarf, which I made her put on despite her protestations that it didn't match), Amanda, MK and Donna. Needless to say, we had a very good time...

I really should be doing sock updates today, since I'm spending tomorrow morning at Oregon Flock & Fiber trying to finish the Socks of Doom and the afternoon at my Mama Discussion Group, but I just don't feel like it. Y'all might have to wait until Monday, but I will get to them. There are some good ones! To make up for my slackerness, I'll leave you with these pics of a little goodness that arrived in my mailbox today. This is my first skein from Mama-E's Fall Sock Club. Oh, my! If only you could eat yarn...but then it would be gone, and I'm quite happy that I can keep this around and pet it. I got so excited when I opened it and held it up for Bill to see - his comment? "Yup, looks like yarn."

Full-skein view with flash:



Digital macro close-up - yum!

6 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

That is, by the way, my "stand out in any crowd" jacket. *grin*

5:08 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

I was up till 3:30am knitting the socks of doom, so if you are pathetic that makes me insane! It was fun though, put them in the mail this morning, got my target in the crosshairs :)

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just for the record, it's the muggles I was staying with who were wondering why I was ditching them for a night at a knitting guild meeting (and then I dragged them to OFFF today...). I had a fantastic time and hope I'll get to visit again!

10:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So... I may be a logic genius but that doesn't matter since I finished my Socks of Doom in record time anyway. They're done, despite my target wearing a size 11 shoe (WHAT? I wear a 5 1/2 or so!).

And she's local, so I'm planning to get her in person as soon as she gets back from her weekend away. ;)

10:57 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

May your fingers be fast and nimble sock warrior!

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay um...that whole first paragraph hurt my brain - which is why I didn't sign up for sock wars (one reason, anyway) ;o)

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home