Friday, June 16, 2006

Where do I start?

I just realized I haven't posted since Tuesday, and there's so much to talk about. First, have you all been hearing all the buzz from the recent TNNA show? For those of you who haven't heard of TNNA, it's the big twice-yearly trade show for the needlearts industry where retailers go to check out/buy the next season's yarns and patterns. Amy and Amy were both there, and give perspectives from a designer and a retailer's points of view. Anyway, I was so jealous hearing everyone's raving reports of the show that I am determined to attend the next one, which is in San Diego in January. I just hope Owen's weaned by then so I don't have to drag my pump (or him) along...

The Association of Knitwear Designers (AKD, formerly PKDG) has been doing some reorganization as well and unveiled the new name along with a new website at TNNA. Any of you fledgling designers out there who are serious about designing should really check this organization out. When you join at the "aspiring associate" level, you can request a mentor who is an established designer and can answer all those silly little questions you have but don't have anyone to ask about. I also noticed that once I started listing AKD on my resume, it got me in the door at a couple of the print magazines. It could be coincidental timing, but I also think that it shows that I'm serious about designing and not just a dabbler. It's a great way to get people to take you seriously.

And now for a little non-knitting interlude... I thought I'd share some more garden photos with you. Everything is going nuts, and we are soon going to be totally overrun with tomatoes.



The tomatoes are in the back bed on the right-hand side, if you hadn't already figured that out. Peppers are next to them, and then in the front bed is our zucchini (back right w/ all the big yellow flowers), our cucumber (front right, looking a bit bedraggled) and our pumpkins over to the left.

Wait! There's more!

Or, maybe not. Friggin' Blogger won't let me load any more pictures. So, that kind of screws the rest of this post. I had a couple more garden pics, a picture of the first little goodie package from my SP8, and pictures of my haul from the Tigard Knitting Guild's knitter's garage sale last night. This was a crazy fun little event, where everyone in the guild brought some stash and it was sold off silent auction style. I brought about 8 bags of yarn of varying numbers of balls, and sold three along with one book. I bought three bags of yarn and bought one book. The monetary values were quite similar, so all in all, I came out about even. I also had a blast sitting and knitting with Amanda, Katrina and Donna (who recognized me from this blog!). I think Donna scored the best at the sale out of all of us - she grabbed a big bag of Noro, a couple hanks of Cascade Magnum and a little drop-spindle starter kit. But then, she's a relatively new knitter and doesn't have a ridiculous stash at home. Yet...

There was a gorgeous spinning wheel that someone brought in, and it didn't get a single bid. As the clock was winding down, I was sorely tempted by the opening bid amount of $200. I must've walked by that thing 50 times. But as much as I wanted to, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm barely keeping my head above water as it is with all my design work - how can I take up another totally addicting hobby? Unless I started selling homespun... That's how Tina Newton got Blue Moon started... Hmm. Maybe next year!

I'll be back with the pics as soon as Blogger is in a mood to cooperate!

7 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

I know you had a hard time staying away from that wheel! You showed serious willpower. Can't wait to see the pictures of what you bought--I don't think I saw the half of it last night. :) Nice garden! Our tomatoes aren't quite as big as yours, but they're on their way. Yummy.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, now that I've met you, it seems wrong to continue to lurk around in the shadows. It was nice to meet you last night! I too am looking forward to the pictures of your purchases.

9:07 AM  
Blogger LavenderSheep said...

Spinning is addictive too. There are just so many possibilities =)

11:16 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

You will have a blast. Another of my designing friends (Stefanie, Glampyre) went this year and made a lot of contacts.

Amy

11:54 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Oh yes, hope blogger is back on track soon. I want to see the yarn pics!!!! Your garden is looking great - much bigger than mine. But then again, I'm just happy only one plant has gotten eaten so far (and I think it will still live through it though!!)

12:03 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Blogger has been really buggy lately. I've been looking into Typepad.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am so glad not to be the only one with the blogger photo issue. Such a pain ... like the free time with small children needs wasting.

And thanks for the info on The Association of Knitwear Designers...very good to know.

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home