Thursday, May 25, 2006

Thanks, guys!

I feel much better now. Thanks for all your kind comments about my design work and my Knitty rejection. It definitely helps me gain a little perspective! I'm just such a baby about rejection. Not a good trait to have in an industry with a 10% acceptance rate! Anyway, thanks for your support - you guys are the best! And I wanted to mention that our own sock-a-monther Quikeye got one of those elusive Knitty acceptances, so now there really is something to look forward to in the summer issue. Yay! Congrats to you!!!

I've been busily knitting away on my next Blue Moon design, which I of course can't show you. I will tell you that it's knit in their Bambu yarn (which, if you can't guess from the name, is 100% Bamboo), and it's so yummy! I really love bamboo yarn, and it will be interesting to see how the finished product looks and wears. I know it will feel amazing...

I've been waiting to get a little box in the mail with the yarn for my Interweave design, so I was sure that it had arrived yesterday when the mailman left a little package on my porch. I looked at the return label, and it said Classic Elite. I thought that was strange, since they don't have much sock yarn (and the Interweave design is going to use Lorna's Laces), but I knew I hadn't ordered anything from Classic Elite and wasn't using any of their yarn for upcoming designs. So I still had it in my head that they were sending me sock yarn for whatever reason.

I picked up the box, and it had a pretty good heft to it - much more than you'd expect for a few hanks of LL. I immediately ran inside and ripped the box open (after shuttling the kids through the door, of course). What did I find? Eleven (11!) balls/hanks of Classic Elite yarns along with their designer guidelines for spring/summer '07. Talk about a prize package! I sent them an e-mail a few months ago asking for their designer guidelines and to get on their call-for-submissions list. I didn't expect a box of swatching yarn in the mail!

I'm running at or over capacity right now for my designs (my sample knitters are going to be getting busy soon), but how can I resist swatching with some of this yarn? One good thing about summer designs - they're much faster than long sleeved winter sweaters, etc.! My only complaint is that they sent a bunch of lavender, which wouldn't be my first color choice. I love purple, and I don't hate lavender, but a whole box of it? I'll need to be inspired by the yarn itself rather than the color. They threw in a skein of Bam Boo, which I'm loving, of course...

My mom is coming for a long weekend, and she gets here today! I can't wait to see her! She hasn't seen the kids since January, and they've changed so much. Especially Owen, who is a big, bad walking machine now and wasn't even really standing without holding onto something back in January. I hate living so far away from her, but I'm not moving back to Minnesota and so far I haven't convinced her to move out here. Thank goodness for Northwest Airlines and their MSP to PDX direct flights!

I have been horribly neglectful of my blog commenting lately, and I'm sorry. I have been lurking, but for some reason commenting has been too much pressure. I will get back on the comment horse soon, but for now, know that I'm out there stalking you if you're in the sock-along or have left comments recently. Yup! I'm creepy blog stalker girl!

11 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I got that same box from Classic Elite last week! What a treat! Mine was all teal shades.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I got that same box from Classic Elite last week! What a treat! Mine was all teal shades.

9:13 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

WOW! I might need to learn how to design stuff so I can get a big box of yarn in the mail. . . heh,heh,heh.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

As I'm sure you know, I've been remiss in my commenting lately too. Thanks for the nice one you left me . . . . it also suceeded in guilting me into being sure I left you a comment on your next post. :) Have a great time with you mom in town!! And enjoy all the swatching yarn. Woo hoo!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Bitterknitter said...

Oooh! Yarn AND Mom! Enjoy them both! (I've been doing a lot of lurking/stalking lately too.)

Take care!

-Lisa

9:46 AM  
Blogger adrienne said...

It must have been fantastic to get a surprise box of yarn! I just came across Bambu today... Not buying some was such a struggle! (but I left with Sock Candy instead...)

5:01 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

lavender classic elite yarn? if you don't want it, I know of somewhere you can send it...

Yarny surprises in the mail are the best. *dancing around the room for you*

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yet antoher pair of socks for may :)

http://heleneh.sprayblogg.no/260506121246_aprilsokker.html

5:45 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What a bounty of riches from Classic Elite! How fun!

Have a nice visit with your mother. :)

7:31 AM  
Blogger Jillio said...

wow, how awesome!
you know, it seems like the more knitty rejects you, the more other places send you yarn. so i'm thinking the whole knitty rejection thing is really a blessing in disguise. i think you should definitely keep submitting stuff to knitty and LOOK FORWARD to getting rejected because that only means you get better opportunities and GREAT swag in the mail! :)
of course, that's really nothing compared to your blog readers' unconditional love, support, and supreme jealousy that you get such great stuff in the mail. that jealous streak only lasts for a little while, though, when we consider just how fabulous and deserving you are. :)
have a good one!

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May socks, finally! Here:
http://knittingiris.typepad.com/knitting_iris/2006/05/elfines.html

Thanks again!

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home