Sunday, June 11, 2006

Ah, nature!

We just got back from a weekend camping trip to the Oregon coast, and I'm all dirty and stinky and I love it! Well, I should clarify - I'm stinky in that my hair smells like a campfire, not stinky as in BO smell... We met up with some friends at Cape Lookout State Park and roasted marshmallows, played on the beach and slept in a tent for the first time (for two of us, anyway). I haven't been camping in over a decade, although I used to go all the time when I was younger. I didn't realize how much I missed it!

Plus, we started and ended the trip with a stop at my favorite spot-near-the-coast, the Tillamook Cheese Factory. Unfortunately, they aren't running their production facilities anymore on weekends so we didn't get to watch the cheese run around the huge factory room on the little conveyor belts, but we still got to sample some cheese, buy some cheese curds and get some of the ice cream flavors you don't always see in the store. We love it so much we stopped going both directions.

We had an amazing campsite (which unfortunately had a retaining wall "cliff" at the edge that led down to the parking lot - not a good feature with small children who will run off of it like lemmings), right on the other side of the dunes from the beach. We were lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves, and woken at 5 am by a ridiculous chorus of over-enthusiastic birds in the trees over our heads. After we got our camp packed back up, we went down to the beach (or rather, over the huge dune) and ran in the waves for almost two hours. Owen was too funny - he would just run straight for the water every time we let him go. Needless to say, we are all totally exhausted. Some vacation, huh?

Believe it or not, I didn't take any pictures. I was too busy "living in the moment". I also had a great mail day right before we left, and got my Spring Feet Sock Swap socks (gorgeous striped Jaywalkers, which I don't have pics of yet either - bad me!) from Jenipurr and a coffee gift basket from the person I spoiled for SP7, Tammy. I'm using having to take pictures as an excuse not to tear into it and devour the whole thing in one sitting...

Not everyone is as bad as I am about pictures, so here is your always much-anticipated sock update!

Virtuella made up a little pair of footies that look suspiciously like the socks I'm making out of my One Skein SP yarn.

Tonia has a lovely pair of Simply Lovely Lace socks. She's also setting up a little sock swap, so go over to her blog and sign up. She's got a fun twist on the usual swap (one that even I can handle, even though I thought I'd totally sworn off swaps for the rest of the summer). She needs some participants, though, so GO SIGN UP! I have had such great luck with my sock swaps, I just can't resist.

Julie has some late May socks and is also asking for help with a button for her new hand-dyed yarn shop. She has a prize for the person who can help her (is it yarn? Hmm...you'd better go see for yourself!)

Ragan finished some Little Man socks.

Helene knit up some lacy Kool-Aid Socks.

Cece finished her Cripple Creek socks.

Lara knit some Petticoat Socks from Weekend Knitting.

Adelle finished up some Sherbet STR Jaywalkers.

Very nice socks, ladies! Next time, pictures - I swear!

8 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Hey I saw your GWOY swatches!

8:30 PM  
Blogger shetha said...

ummmm -- maybe we should chat more. I was at cape lookout this weekend too! We were in the inlaws RV but hey camping is camping. I would be the one KIPing on the beach Saturday evening on that same darn shawl! Woke up this morning with a mean case of carpal tunnel. Sorry we didn't run into you there!!!

10:00 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I can't wait to camp on the beach this year. We were actually talking about it yesterday and trying to figure out when we'll be able to go.
Yummy squeaky cheese curds! :)

11:47 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! My husband grew up in the Bay area and still raves about Tillamook cheese.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

oh that would be enough to have me running scared... constantly watching to make sure the retaining wall wasn't too big of a lure for the kids. But camping sounded like a whole lot of fun. Especially coming home smellign like campfire. nothing better than that. Except if its becuase you live near the forest and there are rampant wildfires going on that season.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Ragan said...

Sounds like fun, even though it may have been a bit stinky! LOL
Hurray for socks!!!!

10:54 AM  
Blogger lexa said...

I've got some socks done for this month. I did a pair child size 6-8 for the Dulaan Project. Picture on the blog. I hope to have another pair done and posted by Sunday. Trying to make a pair for the Step-Pa-in-Law!

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...like lemmings...*giggle*

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home