Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Good stuff!

Well, this was a banner weekend for Good Stuff! On Saturday, we headed south to Eugene for the Prefontaine Classic. It rained off and on on the drive down, and then poured once we got there. However, the events that Bill wanted to see were all in the 2nd half of the race, so we went up the hill to the Rhododendron Garden and sat under the huge trees, listening to the rain fall on the car. When it was time to catch the women's 1500m, we headed down the hill. Miraculously, it stopped raining right as we were parking. We had great seats in the 3rd row.



The races Bill was really interested in were the 2-mile and the mile. Here are the 2-mile runners (great seats, huh?) whose names I can't remember...



The guy who's third from the left is the one Bill was rooting for. He had a great kick at the end, but couldn't quite pull it off. They finished in just over 8 minutes. Yup, that's fast for two miles.

Here are the milers:



The guy who is in fourth place is Alan Webb, who is some famous miler (Bill will be disgusted that I can't remember all these stats, even when he tells them to me over and over again). He ended up slowing down and limping a little bit in the final turn, but he still finished in just over 4 minutes. All in all, there were 9 runners who finished under 4 minutes. Um, can you say fast?

We were on the opposite side of the track from the finish line, so we didn't have a very good view of the men's 100m. However, we could see enough to watch Justin Gatlin (who you all may remember as the gold medalist from Athens) kick the *#$& out of the other runners. That dude is fast! We also had a great view of the men's triple jump and the pole vault. I was expecting it to be pretty cool, but I didn't know what a great time I'd have. It's impossible not to be inspired watching world-class athletes do their thing, especially when you're right up close! We also found out that the next Olympic Trials are going to be held in Eugene. We are so there!

Since the car ride down and back is 2 hours each way, and Bill is a driver's seat hog, I had plenty of knitting time. I managed to finish up the Spring Feet Sock Swap socks (which I can't show you since I'm submitting the design somewhere), along with my long-suffering Mama-E socks (which have been my car project for a couple months).



The yarn is Mama E's C*eye*ber Fiber in the Knittin' Mom colorway. The pattern is my own and has been sold to Blue Moon. It looks great in Socks That Rock, too!

I also knitted up the pieces of my Knitting Vacation Swap project, which is now blocking and should hopefully be done in time to send on Thursday (although looking at it, I'm thinking I may have to rethink the seams). I'm hoping to submit it somewhere also.

To add to the fun, when I got home, I found this waiting for me in the mailbox:



That is my Knitting Vacation Swap package from Crazy Cat Lady Mel. What a haul! There are Knit Girl mints, stitch markers, soap, a lovely graph paper journal for my designs with a felt cover, and a gorgeous dpn case. The knitted item is a sweet red dishcloth from Mason Dixon Knitting. Thanks a million! She has a great Etsy shop chock full of neato stitch markers and needle cases. Go check it out!

I'm about to take my mom to the airport, and I'm so sad. The kids both adore having her around, and I'm loving the break. I got so much knitting done! But, all good things must come to an end, I guess. I'm going to go play in the backyard with the family now - it has finally stopped raining! Get those May socks in by tomorrow's deadline - I'll do the drawing this weekend!

13 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Glad you got a fun KVS package! I'm putting the finishing touches on my package now so it can go out on Thursday.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they look awesome!!!! Thansk sister!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What a fun package from Melissa!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I got two pairs of socks done this month!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

I'm so glad it arrived safely! What a nice layout you did for the picture. I hope you enjoy it all and that some of it comes in handy for your vacation!

I've got a close up of the book cover here if you need it.

5:28 PM  
Blogger wendy said...

(Waving hands frantically in the air and jumping up and down)oh...oh...I didn't get a Y for my May socks (2 of them) when you get a chance could you add one....Thank you...(trying to resume a dignified posture)

10:22 PM  
Blogger Ragan said...

You certainly did have GREAT seats!!! OMG!

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a pair of socks done in May - http://www.pixeldiva.co.uk/done.html

7:11 AM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Just wanted to let you know I have my May socks done...under the wire (it's 10:02pm my time which is 9:02pm Eastern).

http://kittenyarnsandcrafts.blogspot.com

6:06 PM  
Blogger jennie said...

Lovely socks, lovely colors!

I finished my (sad) May socks a few days ago. Plugging along to finish up some of my WIPs for June.

http://twinknit.blogspot.com/2006/05/still-waiting.html

7:06 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Hmm... all I can say is that these people would lap me about 3 times in the time it would take me to run a mile. At top speed. Downhill. Can we guess that the spaz is not an athlete? Looked like a really fun day though!

9:55 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Just saw the new magknits, congrats! :)

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just saw the pattern in Magknits - looks GREAT!! congrats =)

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home