Saturday, June 17, 2006

Let's try this again...

I really hope Blogger is feeling better today. Now, for the pictures I was trying to show you last time.

(Also, I will be doing a sock update at the end so I don't have to blog on Father's Day - don't know how well that would go over with Daddy.)

First, the other garden picture:



Yay! It worked! The back bed is strawberries on the right and sunflower sproutlets on the left. The front bed, obviously, is pole beans. These poor things sat in pots for weeks before I got around to planting them a few days ago and were completely rootbound when I finally rescued them. I hope they do okay!

Next, my loot from the Tigard Knitting Guild garage sale:



In the back left is a lovely Lantern Moon knitting bag that was filled with all that funky handspun that's barfed out up front (winning bid - $11). Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but I might try to felt it into something. Next to the bag is a copy of Knit Lit ($3), some Socks That Rock (3 hanks for $17) and two hanks of recycled silk ($11).

Finally here is my goodie package from my SP8:



An air freshener, some ice tea, stickers, a really cool postcard w/ fabric sewn on to the picture side, a little sewn card case and a sock pattern. I think my SP is a sewer (as in, person who sews - not the other word that's spelled the same but sounds different and has a much less pleasant meaning...)! Thanks, SP!

On the flip side, I accidentally outed myself to my spoilee. I sent her a gift package directly from Amazon, and a few days after it arrived, I got a lovely thank you card from her. Oops! Just a warning for anyone else thinking of sending directly from Amazon - they tell the recipient who you are! So now I am her not-so-secret pal, but I still get to send her secret presents.

Today I attended an all-day workshop on Sockitecture with the amazing Cat Bordhi (author of "Socks Soar On Two Circular Needles" and "A Treasury of Magical Knitting", for those of you living in a cave). I can't show you what we made, because it is top secret (I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you). She has an amazing sock book coming out next spring that will show you a whole bunch of very different, very creative ways to knit socks. There will be a special preview in the August (I think) issue of Vogue Knitting, which is dedicated to socks and sounds absolutely AMAZING. It will have patterns from all the big-name sock designers and will have one from Cat using some of her new sockitechture techniques.

I can tell you that I learned the figure-8 cast-on for toe-up socks, and the Japanese short row technique for hiding wraps. She also showed everyone a very cool way of purling with the yarn in back to tighten up the tension on purl stitches, but it only works for pickers (and I am stubbornly stuck on throwing).

She also did a little demonstration of all the different things you can do with a set of Denise interchangeable needles. She shares them here under her link to the Denise website. If you have a set, go check these tips out. They are tres magnifique. Apparently they're planning to come out with a pink set sometime soon. Cat suggests that anyone who calls Denise for any reason asks them how the pink needles are coming along (just to light a little fire...).

I worked on the sleeve for the Big Girl Knits 2 sweater in-between bouts with the little baby socks we knit up as samples, and I was a little bit embarassed to be knitting on double pointed needles. I ran over to the Yarn Garden after lunch and picked up two Addis, started working the sleeve on them, and felt much better. I mean, how uncool was I to be using dpns in front of the two-circ goddess? Plus they were driving me crazy, since the sleeve barely fit on 4 of my little Clovers. I am so thankful to be living in a town that first of all is close to so many amazing knitters (i.e. Joan Schrouder, Cat Bordhi, Leigh Radford, just to name a few) and second of all, has a place like the Yarn Garden that brings them in for these amazing workshops!

Okay, enough gushing. Time for the sock update. No, wait! One more BIG announcement. Those of you who are on Mama-E's mailing list have already seen this, but for the rest of you, she is helping to organize a sock-knitter's cruise! Hello! How great is that? I'm sorely tempted to try to go, even though I am already pushing it going to TNNA in January in addition to a potential trip to Boston so Bill can run the marathon (also in April) and a trip to Tokyo next summer to visit our friends who are living over there for a few years (we have to get there before they come back here). If only I had unlimited time and money. Oh, the things I could do!

Okay. Socks. Or maybe not. My internet connection is acting squirrely and I think I'm just going to publish this and go to bed before I throw this (expensive, new) laptop out the window.

Happy Father's Day, if I don't make it back tomorrow!

10 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

I have my pair of June socks on my blog, at the most recent entry!

Love!

2:56 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

My LYS has a knitting camp and Cat Bordhi was one of the teachers this year. I didn't get to go, but I did see some of the socks from her class. Just fascinating! She stayed at a cottage here on the lake for a few days, but I didn't get to meet her! Kevin did see her out canoeing, so that's as close as I got. I'm going to knitting camp next year no matter what. You're lucky to live in an area with lots of super-knitters (you included).

My Norwegian stockings for June are done.

3:22 AM  
Blogger jillian said...

Portland is AWASH in uber-knitters. Too cool.

Your garden is going to be lush and beautiful!

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for mentioning the cruise!!! Your coming...c'mon girl!!!!!

7:49 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I had no idea Cat Bordhi was from Portland. How dumb is that?
I do all of those little tricks with my Denise--I love them! Are the pink needles just pink? The same otherwise? I wish I'd known about that sock class, it sounds awesome!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Ragan said...

Wow! You certainly have been BUSY! I am glad that you didn't get to the sock post yet!!! I finished another pair for a June brownie point! What fun this sock knit along has been!!! :o)

11:25 AM  
Blogger Adelle said...

An extra pair for June!

http://www.girliscrafty.com/archives/000316.html

3:04 PM  
Blogger Ragan said...

Wait wait...one more...one more!!!
I finished my mom's socks...and last night finished SuperGirl's cable socks!!! Yipee!!

6:30 AM  
Blogger jennie said...

A cruise? hmmm....

I finished (finally) my blue socks. For once, not finishing my month's socks in the last minute!

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Little bit about your secret pal.
I sew,and I knit. I also Quilt. SO I do a lot and I have fun doing it all. I am glad that you like the things that I sent I have a box being filled as we speak, and I hope to have it out to you soon.
Your SP8 Pal

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home