Sunday, May 21, 2006

What a slacker!

I just realized I haven't blogged in almost a week! I'm not sure what happened. I have been busy, but no more than usual... I guess sometimes I just need a little break.

I have been working furiously on the Y2Knit pattern which was supposed to be sent in by the 15th, but due to the barf-o-rama I was given a week-long extension. I finally got the shoulders right after reknitting them a couple times (first time, the neckline was too low and then I overcompensated and made it too high). After getting the sample shaped to my satisfaction, I had fits with the pattern for awhile and at one point didn't see how I could write it without writing out complete instructions for every single size individually. It seems like every pattern goes through a stage like that (or, I should say, sweater pattern since things like socks and felted stuff don't usually give me much trouble), and then all of a sudden things just magically come together. Today I'm going to be triple-checking all the math and getting the pattern ready to send off.

I've also been working furiously on my Spring Feet Sock Swap socks and have just turned the heel on the second. I did go with Fixation and I'm loving it because it knits up so darn fast! I also did five swatches for the Great Wall of Yarn, which is a big display at the big TNNA trade show where yarn companies show off their stuff. Members of PKDG get to make the swatches for each show, and it's great because you request the number of balls of yarn you want, and you get a box in the mail a couple weeks later. They were all yarns I hadn't used before, with a couple bulky yarns, a novelty yarn, a super soft alpaca and merino blend with hardly any twist, and (my absolute favorite) a hank of sport weight alpaca from Blue Sky Alpacas. Yummy!

I also made a little sumpin' sumpin' yesterday:



That is yet another felted clog (obviously not felted yet). My Christmas present to my grandmother last Christmas was a pair of these, and I've been a slacker getting them done because of all the work knitting, Olympic knitting, etc. etc. My mom mentioned them the last time she called, and I've decided it's time to stop procrastinating and just git 'er done. I'll be well on my way to finishing the pair today, barring unforseen disasters. The kids are both kind of sick (and I thought I was going to be, but it seems to have passed me over) so we'll probably be sticking close to home for the most part. We do need to go get some new sand for the kids' sandbox. We keep forgetting to cover it, and the second we leave it unattended the neighborhood cats descend upon it. It's so irritating that the neighbors let their cats roam free and they use our yard as one giant litter box. I love cats, but come on! It's quite disgusting.

On Thursday night, I joined the Tigard Knitting Guild and attended my first meeting, where I finally met the delightful Amanda and hooked up with my Shop Hop partner in crime Katrina again. It was so much fun! The first half of the meeting was a little talk by sock guru Betsy McCarthy, author of Knit Socks!



Hmm, do you think I bought an autographed copy to put in the Sock-A-Month grand prize basket? I guess you'll have to just wait and see! She showed us all the sample socks from the book and talked a lot about the process of putting together a knitting book. She also told us that for each copy that sells at full price (not the discounted copies on Amazon or Knit Picks) she makes like 47 cents. So, unless you sell a gazillion copies, it's not a very good way to make any money! It's a great book, though, and I'd definitely recommend it for anyone who is looking to get into sock knitting or even veteran sock knitters who are looking to learn some new techniques. She uses all different kinds of techniques so I of course got my own copy to use as a reference.

The second half of the meeting was a show and tell, where a bunch of people brought their FOs to show off to the group. What a bunch of talented knitters! I was more than a little bit intimidated, but everyone was extremely welcoming and I can't wait to go back. It was so much fun to sit in a room for 2 hours with a group of 30-odd people who are just as obsessed with knitting as I am.

And now, back to the socks. It's that time again...sock updates, here we come!

Jessica finished some Cedar Ridge Socks from the Blue Moon Rockin' Sock Club. Sock Club members, your next installment is on its way! I know this because I had yet another meeting with Tina and Kaci of BMFA delayed due to the craziness they go through trying to get the socks out. Jessica also talks about the runaway knit-along success of the summer, The Amazing Lace. I am sitting on my hands trying SO hard not to sign up for it. I am dying to, but I just can't do it. I will show some self-control! I will! (Okay, don't be surprised if you see the button in my sidebar in the next couple weeks. Judging from the box of Entenmann's donuts sitting next to my computer, self-control is not my strong suit...)

JessaLu finished a pair of Jaywalkers, also in Socks That Rock. Are we loving this yarn or what? You'll have to scroll down a bit, but I didn't want to link directly to the post because JessaLu just got a haircut, and it is so cute! You'll have to check it out, since I'm forcing you to scroll past it to see her socks...

And congrats to Erin, who finally gets her first letter in the sock-a-month knit-along for a gorgeous blue striped pair. And she has started another pair in, you guessed it, Socks That Rock!

Roberta knit up a lovely pair of Lana Grossa striped socks as a thank you gift. She also has some Socks That Rock that's waiting to be knit. Is this yarn taking over the world or what?

Christy has some Survivor Socks done along with lots of cute kiddo pics.

Dave finished some totally gorgeous Denmarks from Knitting On The Road.

Crazy Basket Lady Karen gets a brownie point for some lovely Opal socks.

Michelle finished up a couple pairs of kid socks that she's donating to CIC. I love all this charity knitting!

Jill finished up a long-suffering pair of solid pink socks which will now be a Mother's Day gift. She also flashes her considerable sock yarn stash.

Tonia gets a brownie point for these Bubble Wrap socks that she made for her mom.

Ragan gets another brownie point for some luscious pastel socks.

Yvonne knit up a spectacular pair of Aktiv Effekt socks.

Lauren gets another brownie point for her Basket Weave Rib Socks. Mmm, Koigu!

Kristy knit up a pair of Cabled Footies (which in her case are really Cabled Socks since she went crazy on the leg) for another brownie point:



Kelly is another first letter getter with a finished pair of Jaywalkers for her Y. Yay!

Elizabeth finished some May socks in Mama E's Lollygirl colorway. Sweet!

Brianne finished some Sockotta socks for her mom's birthday.

That's all the socks for now, folks! I am amazed at all the brownie point socks coming in until I realize that May is winding down very quickly. How the heck did that happen? The good thing is that my mom is going to be here in less than a week. She hasn't seen the kids since we were in MN in January and they have changed so much since then. Owen wasn't walking yet, and Sydney was much less of the mature little lady she is now. It's amazing what a difference four months can make at their age.

Just to give you a taste of what's coming, Mom, here are the kiddos in all their glory.



No, that's not a giant slug eating Owen's face... I was innocently reading a book while he was in his high chair feeding himself breakfast, and I looked over to see him wearing his banana. Although he has had stuff that looks like that come out of his nose on more than one occasion (and I'm sure that for those of you without small children that is TMI).

Sydney likes to wear her food as well:



I mainly took this picture to capture the cuteness of her new hairdo (and because she was getting jealous of me taking so many pictures of her banana-faced brother), but if you look at the front of her shirt you will see many, many pieces of spaghetti stuck to it.

Finally, this is what happens when your boy is ridiculously crabby all day and refuses to go to sleep before 11 pm.



He finally passes out on the floor with his foot in a toy bin. He has been SO crabby lately. Last night he was in one of those moods where he'd cry for you to pick him up, and once he was up, he'd cry and squirm to get down. Nothing was satisfactory. He'd better be getting some teeth, and they'd better come in soon! He is driving me crazy with all his crank!

10 Comments:

Blogger aija said...

omg, Owen is so cute. (And yes, I know how easy it is for me to say that, since I'm not living with him in terrortoddlerville :))

2:10 PM  
Blogger lexa said...

We have a sandbox, too, that I need to keep covered with a hunk of canvas and beach rocks to weigh it down. There are numerous cats in the neighborhood. I have three cats, but mine don't go outside.

My boys have fallen asleep in weird places laying in strange ways many times!

3:08 PM  
Blogger Brianne said...

I used to feel guilty when my Owen fell asleep like that. Not so much anymore because that just proves to me that he really can fall asleep without being held... and then I feel guilty that I still give in and let him fall asleep while being held.

At some point my son will sleep in his own bed again. It may not be until he's 5, but by golly it will happen!!!

6:20 PM  
Blogger carrym said...

Love the kid pictures!!! :)

I got my May socks finished, woohoo! Just posted the pic on the blog.

Oh, and I really SUCK! I got your tape awhile ago and forgot to say THANK YOU! (and just to let you know it got here) I stuffed it in a drawer and just re-found it. Thanks again. :D

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the complements on my haircut :o))

It was the easiest 15 lbs I've ever lost *grin*

8:31 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Thank goodness the barf-o-rama is over. I hope you all stay well for a few weeks, at least! :)

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I already have May socks, but I suddenly finished another two pairs this month. I love the way they turned out, so I'd like to share those as well:
http://heleneh.sprayblogg.no/220506085247_finally_jaywalking.html

2:35 AM  
Blogger Cece said...

The kids are so cute! Hope Owen gets ou the of cranky stage soon!

Here are my finished May socks (plus another 1/2 pair) http://fiberfish.blogspot.com/2006/05/cripple-creek.html

6:45 AM  
Blogger lexa said...

Got another pair of brownie points socks finished and posted on my blog! Yukon Leaves for me!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Ragan said...

Pooped out baby sleeping on the floor, that is CLASSIC. I have many pictures like that! :)
I hate to do this to you since you JUST posted, I finished another pair of brownie point socks!

4:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home