Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Isn't it ironic?

Yesterday I got two e-mails - one from Amy Singer and one from Jillian Moreno. For those of you who don't recognize these names (I won't make any comments about living in a box), they are the brain children behind Knitty and the recent Big Girl Knits book. The first (from Amy) was rejecting my recent Knitty submission. This is my third straight rejection, and I figure third time's the charm. I give up! The next e-mail I click on is Jillian's. I submitted three designs to Big Girl Knits 2, which will be coming out next year, and heard back about a month ago that two of them were on the short list. Well, she wants them both! I'm making a Scooby sound right now. Rrrr?

Obviously the selection criteria is different for Knitty than for the book. And I'm sure there are different people submitting to Knitty as opposed to the book. And the publishers have something to do with selecting designs for the book. And I have a feeling that Jillian may have something to do with it...perhaps she likes my designs whereas for some reason, Amy hates them all? Or it could be that the designs I submitted to Big Girl Knits would've been accepted had I submitted them to Knitty. Who knows?

On the flip side, I made a second trip out to Blue Moon Fiber Arts yesterday afternoon and they were delighted that Knitty rejected my design. They went crazy for it when I first showed it to them and had actually asked if I could withdraw it from consideration for Knitty so they could have it. They're going to have me do it (it's a sock design) in three different yarns and three different lengths. So, it didn't stay rejected for long.

While I still reserve the right to change my mind (and god knows I do that a lot), I'm officially throwing in the towel on Knitty. My obsession with getting published there is done. Over. Finito. I've got more than enough work to keep me busy for the rest of the year, so I don't need to keep coming up with these patterns that just get bounced back to me. Plus one of the things I really don't like about Knitty is that you have to have the entire pattern written before you send it in for consideration. I much prefer working on speculation like you do with most other publications (i.e. send in a sketch and swatch, and if they like it they have you do the complete pattern). I don't want to go to all the trouble of working up an entire pattern just to find that there's no market for it. And I like having people send me yarn, too, and that ain't gonna happen with Knitty unless you've got an in.

So now I'm back to work on my uncool, un-Knitty designs. Not to sound too much like sour grapes, but I will be VERY interested to see what's in the summer issue!

22 Comments:

Blogger Bitterknitter said...

Knitty schmitty, I say! Congrats on the BGK and BMFA stuff! IMHO, those are way more exciting than Knitty!

-Lisa

6:52 AM  
Blogger carrym said...

Well, how about a bit of early morning snark? They must have rejected your designs because they were too good! They must have sensed your greatness and felt too imtimidated.

And YAY on the Big Girls Knits!!! Just think, that will be a published book that people will have to BUY!!! See?? Way beyond Knitty anyhow!

7:00 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Congrats on the new acceptances! I agree with Bitterknitter's "Knitty schmitty". I mean, look over at that sidebar full of your published patterns! :) Apparently more people than not love your stuff! You know--10 out of 11 knitting publishers prefer Chrissy Gardiner designs. . . . *grin*

8:53 AM  
Blogger Casa Pearl said...

Sounds like with one door closed (Knitty) two opened! Congrats on BGK 2 and I look forward to seeing your Blue Moon stuff.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Jillio said...

wow, great job on your designing! don't sweat the knitty thing; i'm not really digging a lot of the designs that have been coming out lately. even the articles leave much to be desired *cough*cough*knittyspin*cough*cough* excuse me.
anyway, you are no less fabulous because you're not published in knitty. perhaps you can try the garter belt?
keep up the good work! i wish people would send me yarn for giving them patterns. unfortunately, i don't have the design bug. i have ideas, but no real motivation to put them on paper.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I think getting into Big Girl Knits is far more impressive. Go, you!

11:10 AM  
Blogger jillian said...

Congrats!! Poo on Knitty, and I'm glad you've put it behind you. Who knows? They have been going downhill the last few issues. When I was a new knitter, the current issues and archives patterns were some of the coolest I could find and now I'm lucky if I like one thing. I can't wait for the summer issue either!

BMFA and Big Girl Knits are muy impressive!!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Yay for the submissions that did get accepted and Boo to Knitty. I hear you on the Knitty thing. I haven't submitted as much or am as established as you are, but I feel for you and can sympathize. I'm with you on waiting to see what's up with the summer issue as well.

1:27 PM  
Blogger lexa said...

It's Knitty's loss! Just look at all the other places your designs are either already published or are going to be published! I usually don't see too much anymore that I like on Knitty. I am looking forward to seeing the summer issue - I want to see Quickeye's design!

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trust the fine eyes of the wonderful staff of BMFA and don;t give it another thought =) Looking forward to seeing what you came up with! Congrats on BGK2 and hooray for BMFA!!

3:42 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Congrats on the big girl knits 2 acceptances... TWO patterns? you go!

Those Blue Moon people really love you, don't they? Are your patterns available yet wtih them? Or will it be something like a pattern included with their socks that rock club?

So many questions... sorry for that. Anyway, I finished some socks for May (my first brownie point, yay! even if it's crap)

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

meh... though knitty is a great publication, being published in it won't make you a better or more talented of a person. Put your energy into mags that love you (like spun!)

heh. is that a subtle enough hint that we want MORE chrissy? Knitty's loss is someone else's gain ;)

1:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah... and congrats on getting two (!) patterns accepted into the BGK2 publication. Now that, my dear, is impressive.

1:55 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Sorry about the Knitty rejections. Congrats on the other stuff! Can I hope your sock pattern will be one they send out with the sock club stuff?!

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got my Cast On yesterday- great article/pattern in there. Where was that when I needed it? I will now give socks on two circs a second chance (as soon as I get the right length needle). My Knitty submisison came back, too- so you're not alone ;)

8:29 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Yay for your pattern acceptances! And my I add my voice to the chorus of Knitty schmitties. Many, many other publications are diggin' your designs, so maybe the problem lies with Knitty.

8:43 AM  
Blogger aija said...

Congrats on the blue moon acceptance, and BGK!!

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look on Knitty as somewhere to start your designing career - though I think new designers would have a better chance with MagKnits these days.

You are already a designer, you don't need Knitty to help you get a start. As others have commented, Knitty has lost its edge. I think it's becoming a bit of a parody of itself. There are favored designers who will be published regardless (and who are rarely seen outside the Knitty publication realm), and new designers who will fade into the sunset never to be heard of again (rightly so in many cases).

4:54 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Poo on Knitty! Congrats on your big news.

Amy

6:17 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

I know it's them and not you, since I've seen everywhere in blogland people being rejected by them. (Interestingly enough I know two published Knitty designers in person.) They at least appear to favor previous submitters (is that a real word?) so anyone probably won't get in if they haven't before.

You don't need to please everyone -- you've already got tons of fans, and in print that is able to be passed around to your friends and family (magazine and books). Good luck!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Congrats! So glad you are getting good news on some fronts! Have a great weekend!

9:17 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to see your designs! I like your attitude about the Knitty thing.

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home