Monday, May 15, 2006

Happy Mother's Day, All!

I know I'm a day late, but Bill insisted I take the day totally off yesterday. He bought me a dozen yellow roses, had Sydney color a card for me, and got me Annie's donuts for breakfast. Yum! What a guy. In the afternoon, we went to Target and got the first part of my mother's day present - a gazebo for the back yard.



One of my friends got one of these and had it up in her yard last summer, and it was so nice. Our backyard is kind of unfriendly in general, and this really helps to soften it up and gives me a nice place to sit and knit while the kids run around eating dirt and spraying each other with the hose (well, okay, Owen's not old enough to work the hose yet, so it's pretty much Sydney doing the spraying). My next goal (besides getting some cushy patio furniture to go inside the tent) is to get the patio resurfaced so that it's nice to walk on in bare feet and looks a little less institutional. The concrete is old and rotten, so walking on it is like stepping on shards of broken glass. Not pleasant!

Saturday we got the beds in the front yard filled up with dirt and planted a bunch of vegetables.



Tomatoes, strawberries, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini and, of course, pumpkins. I can't wait to start getting some fresh produce! Hopefully this summer we'll remember to pick it before it gets all old and rubbery (unlike our ill-fated peas and beans from last year).

Next, on to the sock updates! First, I'm happy to say that my Sockapaloooza socks finally arrived in Paris. Yay! So much for Global Priority fast service, but at least they got there and made their new owner happy. I have to say this Sockapaloooza has been a rousing success in my book! Next up on my swap knitting list? My Knitting Vacation Swap project, and my Spring Feet Sock Swap socks (which I'm well on my way with, but I'm going to be submitting the design so you can't see them).

Sonya finished some Jaywalkers (one day late for her A).

Emily finished her Sockapaloooza socks, and got some in the mail!

Khris finished the second father-in-law sock and is currently in Canada presenting them to him in person.

Crazy Basket Lady Karen finished her black-and-blueberry socks for her Sockapaloooza pal.

I swear I posted these earlier, but perhaps I just commented on them and forgot to post them. Anyway, Laura made up some lovely Eyelet Diamond socks for her Sockapaloooza pal.

Kris finished some awesome Log Cabin socks.

Adrienne knit up some Pomatomi:



Lisa finished up her Unity socks and wrote a lovely mother's day post about her daughters' arrival.

Virtuella knit up some Sixth Sense socks.

Sara salvaged some LLSS from a failed pair of Jaywalkers and made some Rainbow Brite socks.

Jenn finished some Sockotta summer socks.

Kristy in NC knit some Simple Stripes socks for her mom:



Notice anything odd about them? ;-)

Stariel finished her Famous Socks.

Sillyewe finished some Embossed Leaves for her first brownie point.

Sheri finished some Mother's Day socks for her mom, on Mother's Day.

Monica finished some Baby Cable socks (scroll down past all the hand-dyed yarn p*rn to see them).

Karen finished some gorgeous Denmarks.

That's it for this week's sock update, folks! Keep 'em coming!

I'll leave you with some cute kid pictures. Here are the adventures of Snack Boy and Napper Girl.



I swear, we aren't a white trash family, despite the fact that my kids aren't wearing clothes! It's like 97 degrees outside today and they were out in the pool, and I haven't managed to dig clean clothes for them out of the laundry yet. Gimme a break, a'ight?

Sydney got ahold of the camera today, and took a bunch of artsy pictures. Most of them I'm too embarassed to post here since they're off the hideous mess in my office, but I'll show you a couple that don't totally betray me as the heinous housekeeper I am... Do we have a budding Ansel Adams on our hands?

This first one is the view from under our kitchen table.





Please ignore the disgusting carpet in that second picture. It seems pointless to have it cleaned since it will immediately be peppered with ground-up bunny crackers and spilled chocolate milk. We are having it replaced the second the kids are old enough to know better.

12 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

I know a lady that dresses her little baby in clothes every day! My kids don't get to wear regular clothes unless we're leaving the house or it's really cold. With 2 kids in diapers, those pants really get in the way!

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay I didn't want to do this in the comments but I can't seem to find your email address - I posted my finished 'May' socks today :o)

Cute kids! My daughter lived in only a diaper the first three summers of her life - don't worry about it ;o)

8:00 PM  
Blogger GirlyWithATwist said...

My 3 year old still runs around in his pull ups half the time with nothing else on. The baby in his diaper.

8:38 AM  
Blogger jillian said...

Now THAT'S a good hubby! Your gazebo will serve you well - a little resurfacing and a couple cusy chairs and you'll have shangri-la!

9:24 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

that covered patio should be nice to lounge in during the summertime... lucky!! In sock related news, I *FINALLY* finished my first pair of socks since joining the KAL!! hand over that "Y", baby! hooray!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Christy said...

I love the garden pics! I'm about to start a container garden on our deck so I've been glad to see what other people are doing.

In other news...my May socks are done.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Jillio said...

ahaha! your kids are too cute!
glad you had a fun and productive mother's day :) and just think, you can knit in that little gazebo on a nice day! woot!

oh, i finished a pair of socks for a brownie point. check my may 13th post for it.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Ragan said...

Awwww...look at that boy with his bag of chips, mine do that too. I love taking pictures of my little ones while they are sleeping, that is when they are the cutest. :)
Also, I have a brownie point pair of socks completed for May! Hurray!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Ragan said...

Awwww...look at that boy with his bag of chips, mine do that too. I love taking pictures of my little ones while they are sleeping, that is when they are the cutest. :)
Also, I have a brownie point pair of socks completed for May! Hurray!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Oooh, love the gazebo and the raised beds! Kiddos are pretty adorable, too :-)

8:40 PM  
Blogger Zee said...

I love Kristy's Simple Stripes! Backward... how cool!

The gazebo is lovely. I hope you enjoy your time there this summer!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Sounds like your mom's day was wonderful. Don't worry, kids always run around in their diapers (some sans diaper!) Finally finished a pair of socks, my first in this KAL. Put me down for May baby!! Pictures on my blog

www.oshnpashns.blogspot.com

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home