Friday, March 03, 2006

Today, it's all about ME!

Now that the end-of-February sock rush is over, I'm going to be selfish and talk about myself this entire post. Okay, first some sock-a-month stuff. And then it's all about me.

I still have several new knit-along members waiting to be added and a few updates. I'm going to take care of that this weekend, so don't worry if you don't see yourself in the sidebar yet! I will get to you - I promise! I just need to take a little break from knit-along admin to keep from going completely nutzo. When I started this, I never thought it would be such a huge success. I'm loving it, but it's work, I tell you! Whew!

Yesterday, I had the good fortune to finally meet a blog buddy - Erica from Bikini Elf! She was in town to celebrate her birthday, and I hooked up with her and hubby Jeremy to do some yarn shopping. Boy, did we have a good time! We started out at Close Knit and petted a bunch of yarn, most memorably the Artyarns Supermerino. I also discovered the Artyarns Regal Silk, which was so incredibly drool-worthy (but also a pocketbook breaker at $25/hank). Mmm! Then we headed over to Knit-Purl where we went completely gaga over their huge selection of Blue Moon yarns. We kept finding little stashes of their yarn all over the store. I'm very familiar with Socks That Rock, but I didn't know much about their other yarns. They've got everything, and it is all gorgeous. I picked up these little babies, along with some STR for my SP7 and some Addis to knit the Knit Picks sample socks on (since my other pairs are currently occupied with the Vineyard Stripes socks).



On the left is Seduction, a blend of 50% merino & 50% tencel. I really struggled with this purchase because the hank was $34 (!!!) but it is just incredible yarn and the hank is 400 yds, which is a good amount of yarn. The yarn on the right is Ziggy, which is a funky cotton. When I was checking out, it was all I could do to keep myself from running back to the wall of STR and grabbing a hank for myself. I resisted, though, since I'm hoping I'll get chosen to do some designs for them and then will get yarn for free. I don't get to keep what I make, granted, but I get to knit with it which is 95% of the fun!

Thanks for a great afternoon, Erica! I had a blast. I'll be meeting a few more of you next month, first in LA (we got our plane tickets - yay!) where I'm going to hook up with Jillian, Jen and Choomon for some KIPing and SEXing, and then back in Portland where I'll finally meet Amanda in person for the Tigard Knitting Guild's Shop Hop. Yahoo! I can't wait.

My work knitting is progressing, albeit slowly. I discovered that I calculated the sleeve caps for the Knitter's sweater totally wrong (this was after they were both knit and blocked), and had to redo them because they were about 4" too long for the armscyes. Gah! They are now reknit and will be blocked today, but March 10th is creeping up on me very quickly. I got a little bit too lax about this sweater, since I knit up the main body pieces very fast, and thought I'd have time to work on these:



That is a small start on the New Englands from Knitting On The Road. This is the current sock for the knit-along, and there's no way I'm going to get it done by the end of the month, what with all the other stuff I HAVE to knit by March 31. What was I thinking? I really like this pattern, though, so I hope to pick it up when things slow down a bit. I know, I know, being too busy is a good problem to have. The yarn is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in the Aslan colorway.

Just so y'all can see how the creative mind works here, I've included a picture of my current workspace (the stuff on the right is Sydney's - she likes to "work" with me).



Technically, I am supposed to confine my knitting work to the office and keep the dining room table clear for, well, dining, but I seem to be incapable of doing that. Sorry, honey! I know I promised, but you should know after nearly six years of marriage that I'm totally unreliable.

Finally, here are a couple kid pics. The first one is the kiddos with the kitchen stool, which Owen has learned to climb up on.



Fortunately, he can also get himself down, so I don't need to worry about him getting stuck up there when I'm not in the room (I was trying to get a pic of him up on it, but by the time I got the camera ready, he's climbed back down). However, he's also discovered that he can climb up the stairs. The other day he crawled over by them, and I didn't pay too much attention because I didn't think he knew what to do with them. A minute later I looked over to see what he was doing, and he was out of sight. For a minute, I though he'd crawled behind the couch (which would've been impressive since it's a tiny little opening), but then I peeked around the corner and found him halfway up to the 2nd floor. Little goober! Time to get another baby gate out, I guess!

This second one is a picture of our own Chicken Little.



This was inspired by the comparison made on American Idol the other night between one of the contestants and Chicken Little. Bill found some of Sydney's sunglass frames (which she long ago popped the lenses out of) and stuck them on the boy. I'm glad he's not one of those babies who has to wear glasses, but if he was, he'd still be pretty darn cute!

8 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

Niiiiice yarn! And how fun to get to go to LA and meet up with some knitter friends! :)
Keep plugging away at all your knitting--at least it was the sleeve caps that needed reknitting and not the cuffs! Whew, I can't imagine all that deadline knitting. Ugh.
--A

11:19 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Gorgeous yarn. Nothing is better than SEXing with your buds.

Amy

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear about YOU!! And also stoked that the LA trip is a done deal!

1:05 PM  
Blogger aija said...

You know you write your patterns in crayon :) I love the chicken little pic, too.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I just want to encourage you and thank you for all the hard work you do with this KAL!

The yarn for the socks you are doing...the one for the New England ones (the pic that is before the one of your work space) is really pretty...I love it!

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait!

7:16 AM  
Blogger chris said...

That's so awesome that you got to meet Erica! Your new yarn is gorgeous. And how cool that you get to meet other pals next month, too. I love that Lorna's Laces colorway- so subtle and pretty and it goes great with that pattern. Sydney and Owen are too cute! I love that Chicken Little shot! ;-) Take care and have a great weekend, Chrissy! :-)

11:16 AM  
Blogger Ragan said...

Too cute (Owen)! Love that yarn *drool* and the sock you've started.
I have a similiar issue with the dining table...so hard to keep it clutter free (it is the mom thing, three kids, lots of clutter for the table).

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home