Sunday, February 26, 2006

Gold me, baby!

But first, some free yarn!



This is the yarn for my June Mag Knits design. So now you've had stitch pattern and yarn pics - know what it is yet? Yeah, I don't think so! This yarn was so very generously donated by Pam at Spirit Work. If you're in the Rochester, NY area, go check her out! She threw in that great clear tote and a nice little card - totally unexpected!

Now, what you've all been waiting for, the Olympic Shrug! As we look at the shrug pictures, let's reflect on the 2006 (non-knitting) Winter Olympics. I just love the Olympics, both summer and winter, but winter always captures my heart in a way the summer never will because of my childhood aspirations of alpine skiing greatness. My favorite Olympic events? Besides the alpine skiing (I love all of the race events - slalom, GS, Super-G & Downhill), I love short track speed skating for the sheer craziness, ski jumping for the connections to my Finnish heritage (and sheer craziness), biathlon because who can say that skiing and shooting aren't a totally logical combination, and curling because it's great fun (if you ever have a chance to try it, do!). I've also discovered this year that I really like ice dancing. I never used to, but this year I finally got the connection between ice dancing and ballroom dancing. It's really neat to watch them do dance steps on the ice. It's a nice break from all the jumping around and waving of arms in the regular figure skating (which I also love - don't get me wrong!).



Get it? A shrug? Har-dee har har. Blame Bill for that one.

Here are a couple of back views (please ignore my inexplicably baggy butt):





And one more shot of the front:



Scroll down to yesterday's post if you want to see close-ups of the stitch detail. Again, for those of you just joining us, this is the Cabled Shrug from IK Fall '05, in Knit Picks Elegance.

Since the camera was out, we used the opportunity to snap some pics of the small fry. Here are my impeccably behaved, expression-free Stepford children.



Okay, this is more like reality, with everyone going different directions:



And because I just couldn't help myself, I decided to make Karen's gift yarn into my first pair of toe-up socks using the free Knit Picks pattern.



I can't help but think that the socks on circs, flanked by the two balls of yarn, strongly resembles a uterus and ovaries. Is it just me? They are some MASSIVE ovaries, for sure!

In exciting family news, my brother-in-law just got a permanent job, a couple years after being laid off from his last one (he's a graphic designer, and the market is pretty poor for designers here in Portland). He's been doing contract work for awhile but just landed his dream job with the top design firm in town. He's incredibly talented, so it's about time that this happened. If any of you know Smith (sunglasses/ski goggles/etc), he designed their logo (upper left corner of website) and many of their ads. He's actually doing a logo for my design biz, which will be unveiled soon, and it's so much fun working with him and seeing just how talented he really is. Anyway, congrats, Chris! We went out to dinner at Outback Steakhouse last night to celebrate and had a little touch of irony in that Meat is Murder by The Smiths was playing on XM as we were pulling into the parking lot. It didn't stop us from tearing into some seared flesh as soon as we got inside. Sorry, Morrissey, but we're a family of unabashed meat-eaters here!

14 Comments:

Blogger Scoutj said...

Love the shrug! Super cute family too!

7:15 PM  
Blogger lexa said...

Love your shrug! Congratulations!

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your gold! :)

8:42 PM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

Congratulations on your shrug! It looks beautiful!

8:56 PM  
Blogger chris said...

It looks awesome, Chrissy!! Gold, baby, GOLD!! I love the color and fit and it looks fantastic on you. Love the new Suede, too and what a cute bag! I'm seeing ovaries, too- man, that's some serious egg storage there. ;-) Congrats to Chris- that's so awesome for him! My baby sis is always worried about job opportunities, too. She switched from graphic design to printmaking....yeah, like there's more job opportunity there! ;-) That's so great that you two get to collaborate on your site. Ooh, Outback steak- hope you got the bloomin' onion, too! Take care, Chrissy! :-)

9:15 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Congrats on the gold! The shrug is gorgeous--and what a great color. Just what we need to snap us out of the grey around here. Btw, I love the little "hanger-on" Owen in the second shot. :)
Congrats to your brother. Can't wait to see your new logo. I know a few graphic designers and am totally in awe of how they work & what they come up with.
Can't wait to see what that awesome suede becomes, either . . .. I love that stuff (but not the price tag--eeek!--yay for free yarn).

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That came out so well!! I bet it's warm and comfy!

The family pics are great...even the stepford one! Congrats for your bro, too :)

10:29 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Way to go on your shrug.

Amy

5:46 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Your shrug looks great, Chrissy! Way to go! Way to go on those kids too. They're really cute.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Ragan said...

Your shrug looks great! Love the "shrug" pose too. Too cute. And, so are your children, too cute!
Ok...SO...I am embarrassed to say...I finished yet another pair of socks this weekend! I know, it is awful! I finished the Daffodil socks (Knitpicks Pade yarn). I HAD to make them for my son to have "sock day" at school, and his other "mommy made" socks have all gone to hand-me-downs. There is a pic of them on his feet. I was in a huury to finish them. They FLEW off the needles. PHEW!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Ragan said...

Oops...typo! It should say Knitpicks Parade up there...yeah...that's what I get for being in such a hurry!

7:19 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Congrats on your gold! I love the IK shrug. Very pretty.

The family is cute as always!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I tried to comment ealier, but Blogger wasn't playing nice. :( Love your Olympic Shrug - great job. Your little shruggy picture was great too. :)

5:12 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Gooooooold!

Beautiful too :) Love the kiddo pics!

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home