Thursday, February 16, 2006

Y'all are stressin' me out!

I have a confession to make. Commenting is becoming a millstone around my neck. I love reading blogs. I love GETTING comments (who doesn't?). But the thought of making comments has lately been causing me to avoid Bloglines. I don't know what it is. I guess I feel pressure to be witty and insightful. And it doesn't help that one of my best blog friends is Chris the Comment Queen... I can't even begin to compete with her on her sheer volume of quality comments. How she finds time to knit and raise two kids is an entirely different topic... But then, I've always been one of those people with a few really good friends instead of a larger circle. Part of the reason for that is the amount of time it takes to maintain a friendship. Why do I think it's any different in the blog world? After all, art imitates life.

I am so delighted to have the sock updates coming in every day (except today, strangely!). It gets me out to your blogs, and even if I don't comment on YOUR blog, I can talk about you on mine. For some reason, I feel much more loquacious when I'm writing on my own blog rather than commenting on someone else's. Okay, enough with the guilt already. I should just resign myself to the fact that I'm a lurker by nature. I just don't want you all to think that I don't appreciate you, because I do! Like I've said before, I've learned so much from your blogs and I wouldn't be the knitter or designer I am today without you. So thank you.

On a lighter note, I've discovered a wonderful thing - knitting while driving! Well, not actually while the car is in motion. Perhaps it would be better described as knitting at red lights. I keep my knitting in my lap w/ the yarn in the passenger seat. When I hit a red light, I pick it up and knit a few stitches. Some of the lights between home and Sydney's school are pretty darn long, and knitting while I'm sitting there makes it much more enjoyable. I've started stopping for lights as soon as I see yellow instead of taking a second to decide if I've got time to gun it through... Of course, now that I have knitting to do when I'm stopped, my green light ratio has gone way up.

Time to get back to that blasted knitting. I think I can... I think I can... I think I can...

9 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Oh Thank goodness you explained that one about knitting and driving. I was about to scold you and call you an LA driver.

I too agree with you on Chris the Comment Queen. I'm amazed at how thoughtful EVERY SINGLE one of her comments are and how in the world does she manage to visit every blog I've read? How does that work? Hats off to Chris, but that doesn't mean that you should feel guilty for not commenting on every page you visit. Don't get me wrong, I love it when you leave me a comment, I'm just saying I know how busy you are (see that sidebar of yours!).

5:59 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Chris is awesome, but most of us can't keep up with her. It's ok to only comment occasionally.

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny! I get about 400 visitors to my blog on average and rarely get comments. I even asked today what finger foods to feed a toddler. So far, no responses. I can only assume that no one has toddlers. LOL

7:35 PM  
Blogger chris said...

I have one word for you...CAFFEINE! ;-) Just kidding. I totally hear you on the Bloglines thing. I usually try to break up reading/commenting in three 20 min increments throughout the day, but I dread those 3-4 days a week when I'm out all day and come home to see 40 blogs in bold. It got to a point a few weeks ago when I wanted to avoid blogging altogether. I decided that instead, I needed to change my commenting habits, so now I just do what I can in the time I have and have gotten to feeling okay with only commenting occasionally. It's funny, because we're the opposite- I HATE posting on my own blog. That fills me with dread more than anything, which is probably why I do it so infrequently. I'm amazed how you manage to post so often with all you've got going on! And hey, I'm not a designing, Master's swatching, class-taking and 125 person sock KAL hostessing crazy person, so I've got some time to play with. ;-) On top of all that, you're nursing 24/7, girl, so my hat's off to you, because God knows there's no way I could've done the things you manage to do while nursing all night. I was an incoherent wreck! Take care, Chrissy! :-)

10:58 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I kind of feel the same way about commenting -- I feel guilty if I don't leave a comment, because I like to get them so much, but I can keep up with more blogs if I only comment occassionally. I certainly don't expect to see a comment on every post from each of my regular readers. I know you're out there! :)

Anyway, I had to laugh at your knitting in the car story. I do that too. Socks are perfect for this. There is a light near my house that I pass often more than once a day. It is ridiculously long -- more than three minutes I bet. I can knit a couple rounds of a sock while I wait at that light! Now, if I am out in the car, and I don't have my knitting, I feel as though I am wasting time at lights. LOL!

5:23 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

I know what you mean about commenting. Sometimes I purposely read blogs that I lurk on so I don't have to come up with any original thoughts. I never cease to be amazed by Chris' commenting prowess. And I agree with Laura too, not every entry requires a comment. (BTW, those straight needles are still coming; I've been waiting for the right box.)

5:56 AM  
Blogger carrym said...

I'm a red light knitter too! It has really made me a much more relaxed driver. :)

11:39 AM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Comments are nice, but not mandatory;) It amazes me the number of balls you are juggling right now and I love checking out all the socks. That's plenty!

8:50 PM  
Blogger jennie said...

definitely don't worry about comments -- i read your blog ever day and don't comment. which makes me feel even worse to post for the first time in forever just to say that i finished my february socks. hooray!

thanks for doing all the work to organize this KAL, by the way. It's so much fun to see everyone else's socks. i've felt so inspired watching everyone else's progress, and it's a great way to find new sock patterns (now that i'm addicted, that is). There really are socks out there that AREN'T jaywalkers :)

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home