Tuesday, February 28, 2006

You guys are killing me!

As if I have nothing better to do than post sock updates all day. Okay, my wry grin doesn't come across very well in plain text... Really, I love you guys! But you're killing me! So please forgive me for being so slow with the final February updates. I've been working on this post for two days now, and I have to do some knitting, too, you know! Plus it doesn't help when freaking Blogger goes down when the boy is asleep and I have some uninterrupted time to blog... Want some cheese with that whine?

At least I didn't come up with the Knitting Olympics (check out poor Stephanie's post re The Podium, if you haven't already). What a logistical nightmare!

Rachel just sent me these lovely Koigu Jaywalkers for her first brownie point:



StarzAbove got over a case of SSS (second sock syndrome) to finish her F socks.

Persnickety Knitter (aka Lord Voldemort) finished some awesome argyle socks for her dad.

Shelley has some cute little green socks done for a second brownie point.

Tara finished her first (and last, she claims!) pair of Jaywalkers. Sounds like your next pair of socks should be in worsted weight, honey!

Joanna finished some Pomatomuseseses but doesn't have a camera to shoot the completed pair. You can see 1-1/2 Pomatomatomi here.

Amanda slid some toddler socks in under the wire, after knitting up Kepler for her Olympic gold (whew!).

Crazy Basket Lady finished some Megaboots Stretch socks. That yarn is gorgeous, even if it's a pain to knit with!

New blogger Michelle finished some lovely (if a bit large) lacy socks that are being modeled in a non-traditional manner by her adorable daughter.

Kirsten finished her second red sock. Scroll down to her Feb. 18th post to see the first one.

LivingLakeside finished some Vineyard Stripes socks, just in the nick of time.

Lauren has Jaywalkers done!

So does Merete!

Erica finished her Sockapalooza socks, a tribute to our home state of Oregon! Too cool!

Wendy went totally nuts with the Knitting Olympics and knit socks for her entire family. She was, sadly, 1-3/4 short. But still, she gets six (!) brownie points. Wow!



Linda finished some lovely Opal socks, despite running out of yarn at the 11th hour!

Sheri gets another brownie point for some Bernat boy socks for her son.

Siri also gets an F for some gorgeous Regia socks.

Okay, I think that's everyone... I'll hold off on the drawing until this weekend, so PLEASE check to make sure I didn't miss you!

In my own personal knitting world, I've got a lot going on (as usual). The Knitter's sweater is blocked and ready to seam up. It turned out really nice, but for some reason I'm thinking that I have it done when in fact I still need to do button bands and collar as well as seaming... So, not so done! I also just signed up to be a sample knitter for Knit Picks. Now, as a consumer I love Knit Picks. They're cheap, their yarn is generally decent, and they have a smart business model. As a knitting professional, however (can I call myself that yet?), I don't like the fact that they take business away from the LYSes. I do think that everyone can learn to get along, but some knitters have the attitude that yarn is way too expensive and it should all be priced like Knit Picks'. Knit Picks does nothing to discourage this attitude when they state in their catalog that "similar yarn sells for $11.95/hank" when that's actually not quite the case. If given a choice, I would certainly use Koigu or Lorna's Laces over Sock Garden or Essential. Sometimes it's nice to make a project on the cheap and not have to resort to nasty acrylic. So for now, I'm happy to work as a sample knitter for KP but they're not at the top of my list for places to submit designs.

Blue Moon Fiber Arts, however, is at the top. I had a very nice conversation yesterday with Kaci, one of the partners, about doing some design work for them. The next thing on my list is to put together a proposal package for them (gee, do you think it will include some socks?).

While doing all this knitting, I've been watching enormous amounts of reality tv. Yup, I'm the lowest common denominator! The fact that Dumb & Dumber is my all-time favorite movie should've given you a hint about that... I've discovered a couple new shows - first off is Project Runway. Why didn't I discover this earlier? Bravo had a PR marathon last weekend and I got to watch all the shows up to the current one. I was lovin' it. Could Santino be any more of a freak show? I also Tivoed the Amazing Race. I've been obsessed with world travel most of my life and have been to five continents and I think 21 (is that right?) countries. This show is the ultimate contest for me! I'm about halfway through the premiere right now, and I'm definitely rooting for the geeks.

Next up was Skating With Celebrities. My latest issue of People magazine confirmed the nasty rumor that Lloyd did leave his pregnant wife for Kristi, so I have zero respect for either of them now. I was rooting for them to win because they were kind of the underdogs, but now I'm pulling for Jillian and John, big time.

The big finale of The Bachelor: Paris was this week as well. I was quite happy that Sarah won, although a little bit surprised. I thought Moana had it, especially after the show last week where they were saying that viewers were pulling for her. I never liked her - all of her over-the-top (in my opinion) emotional blubbering never quite rang true to me. And that dinner with her family? I would never want in-laws like that! Yikes!

And what reality tv maven could avoid American Idol? Although there isn't really anyone this year that sticks out in my mind. Okay, Owen is digging around under the desk, so I'm going to publish before he figures out how to unplug the computer!

12 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

Whew, that's a lot of socks. Gorgeous work, everyone! :)

3:07 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Yay! You're going to design for Blue Moon Fiberarts? I just bought a 1/3 year subscription to their club.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Wow! Knitters are cranking out socks all over the place.

I have mixed feelings about Knit Picks too. My LYS is about 2 miles from my house (lucky me) and the owner is my neighbor and friend. I do buy online some, but if it's something she carries, I get it from her. Sometimes it's a little more expensive, but it's worth it to have her expertise and the community of knitters that gather there. It's always interesting to hear about the business side of knitting from her.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I finished the second sock of my Easter Egg Jaywalkers today which means that I have finished my socks for March! (Of course, they were 99% knit in February and I tried to finish them in February, but instead they got finished today!

http:\\crazybasketlady.blogspot.com

Karen aka the CrazyBasketLady

5:05 PM  
Blogger chris said...

That's so awesome about Blue Moon Fiber Arts! I know you'll come up with some awesome socks that rock. ;-) That is some SERIOUS sockage update, too- thanks so much for all of your hard work hostessing this KAL, Chrissy!! It's been great checking out the links and seeing everyone's socks. And you crack me up with your reality tv updates! I'm kind of bummed that I missed Skating with Celebrities this season, especially with the whole Lloyd and Kristi saga. Take care! :-)

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that Project Runway is a great show. Santino does have quite the attitude.

And thanks for running this KAL. For some reason, I'm enjoying these "mini deadlines", while I really hated knitting under that big Olympic deadline.

6:23 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Ooh, BMFA?? :) I'm starting a pair in their med weight... it was a pleasure to just ball it up! Best of luck, it'd be pretty rad to "know" one of their designers :)

6:27 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Love me some PR - love Daniel V!

I have to say, that I am really without a "local" ys, I love any online business. And as a sort-of unemployed person, I love the cheapness! But I do try to knit with the "nicer" yarn, but it's hard to justify the cost and the whole having to just wing it without feeling it. Ramble over! :)

Did you get my comment last night about finishing my brownie point socks? I'll post a crappy picture tonight for y'all - better one tomorrow!

8:29 PM  
Blogger wendy said...

Wow! I didn't know I would get brownie points. That's just too cool. Thanks a bunch. I hope your proposal is well excepted...good luck with it.

10:02 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

I really don't have too much beef with Knit Picks. I've knit with their stuff myself, and see that there is a place for their products.

Amy

5:42 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

You're doing great with the sock updates . . . big applause for you!!! I'm totally rooting for John too ;) as you'll see when if you read my post today!

7:26 AM  
Blogger Jillio said...

duuuude, rock those socks, yo! in every conceivable way :)
you're lookin' mighty sharp these days, btw. :)
i totally hear you on the Knit Picks dilemma. It's just a'ight, and the shipping takes FOR.EV.ER. I like working with yarn that makes me want to knit, and Knit Picks doesn't always cut it. The cost effectiveness is appealing because I don't care if I screw up, but that same nonchalance does not increase the likelihood that I'll finish.
Anyways, have a great week! It's almost the weekend. WOOO!

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home