Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Here comes another one!

A few of you may recall that I submitted a kid's cardigan design to Creative Knitting waaaay back in September for the September '06 issue. I heard back from them a couple months later that they couldn't use it for that issue, but they'd like to hold onto it for the next swatch review. That was the last I heard, and the swatch review came and went with no word. So yesterday I sent an e-mail off to the editor asking what was up. Well, they couldn't use it for the November '06 issue, either, but she was going to use it in the January '07 issue! Yay!

It's kind of crazy how I spent all of last fall with nothing happening with my designing at all, and now it's all happening at once! And the rejections really sting, but I just counted up and I have a pretty good acceptance rate. Out of 38 total submissions, I have 16 rejections and 11 acceptances. That's an acceptance rate of 29%! My PKDG mentor told me to expect a rate of around 10%. So I have nothing to complain about. However, I tend to be one of those glass-half-empty kind of people and will only consider myself a success if I never have anything rejected, ever. Ha! When I tell my friend who's a poet about those stats, she's quite impressed. She says that in her field, the acceptance rate is more like 3%. Boy, that would have grave consequences for my ego...

Anyway, thanks for all your support through all this process. And feel free to slap me upside the head when I get down, because I'm really doing quite well. Blog friends are the absolute best.

Speaking of which...Bill and I are hatching plans to go down to La-La-Land in April so he can run in the Jimmy Stuart Relay Marathon with his old co-workers and we can take the kiddos to Disneyland. I've already been scheming with Jillian (who I can not WAIT to meet in person) about a little SEX/KIP action. (Mom, don't worry - it stands for Stash Enhancement Xpedition.) Any other LA-ites who read my blog and would want to join us? Jen, how 'bout you???

Also, check out Jillian's post from yesterday about the knitblog community. I want to let everyone who ever reads this blog know that if I come off as exclusionary or cliqueish in any way, please don't take it that way. If you leave comments and I don't get back to you, it's only because I don't have time and Blogger makes it so $#@(&#$ difficult to get to your blog from a comment (most of the time the e-mailed comments I get don't include the e-mail address OR the post that was commented on, so I have to dig through the posted comments to find your comment, then go to your Blogger profile, and then, MAYBE, I can get to your blog). I understand that it's a little annoying to leave a comment and have it seemingly go into a black hole, because I've felt that way when leaving comments on some of the other big blogs (i.e. Yarn Harlot, Grumperina, etc.). However, now that I'm running the knit-along and have a bunch of traffic from Mag Knits, I understand! It's hard to get to everyone without making blogging your full-time (and then some) job!

I'll save the socks for tomorrow since we only have a couple and I have to get the boy up and take him to music class. And for those of you who were sad about the fig tree because you love figs, don't be! The figs that came off that horrible tree were nasty. Even my in-laws, who are crazy for fresh figs, didn't like them. Talk about adding insult to injury...

14 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

yes yes yes! I saw that Jillian was mentioning visiting with someone from Oregon, and I immediately thought of you. Of course I'll be up for a visit! Just let me know when you make definite plans...

And congrats on getting YET ANOTHER acceptance! I can't even think that far in advance.. is it already time to think about 2007?

9:36 AM  
Blogger chris said...

Congratulations on Creative Knitting!! That's so awesome! I was thinking about that cardigan recently and was wondering if you'd heard anything back from them. And 29% is fantastic! I hear you about the glass-half-empty perspective, but you're doing 3 times better than average and that's pretty darned impressive, missy. :-) And that's so awesome that you'll be meeting up with Jillian and Jen!! It really makes the whole knit blog thing "real," you know? Congrats, again and take care! :-)

11:01 AM  
Blogger lexa said...

Congrats on getting your cardigan accepted! Boy, they sure plan in advance, don't they!

11:49 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Congrats on your cardigan getting accepted. You are SOOO on a roll! More great things to come, I'm sure.

Amy

12:00 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Congrats once again! I'm glad your designs are being recognized.

12:14 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Wow, when it rains it pours, huh? Congrats on another acceptance! :)

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! That's a very good acceptance rate, I think. Focus on the positive!

See you (hopefully) soon!!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

That's great that you've had so many patterns accepted lately! You're doing great and I can't wait to see more of your designs.

Hope the kiddos are behaving for you. I have to say the past few weeks with my kids have been so much easier, it's like James is become a little human being who is kind and helpful instead of a monster all of the time. And Claire is finally becoming more independent and not needing my attention all the time. We will get our lives back, I can see it!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Jen Hagan said...

Congrats! You give me courage--I am just getting ready to start submissions...really deep breaths!
Yea, KnittinMom!

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!
And please, don't respond to this!

12:29 AM  
Blogger Ragan said...

Congrats on the acceptance!!! YIPEE!

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey- I'm close enough to LA that I may be in for a day trip :)
Congrats on the new design acceptance.

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rock on Chrissy!!!

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic news on the acceptances! I can't wait to see them. I know the rejections are difficult, but hang in there. Something that wasn't accepted at one publisher may very well be accepted at another. :-)

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home