Sunday, February 05, 2006

These kids are making me crazy!!!

I had a really bad mommy day yesterday. I had a ton of work to get done (since I have a gazillion designs due mid-March) and the kids were just being horrible. The evening culminated with Sydney peeing on the carpet in the hallway right outside the bathroom. Bill put her to bed, and she got really upset because she thought she was being punished. She cried so hard she threw up all over herself. And Owen did his usual wake up every hour all night thing. I don't feel this way very often, but last night I just wanted them to both go away. I wanted my carefree, kid-free life back.

Being a stay-at-home mom is the hardest thing I've ever done. It's great to be able to watch your babies grow up and be there for them when you need them, but it's so difficult to be around them ALL THE TIME. They're always there. You wake up, they're there. You go to sleep, they're there. You try to have a little peace and quiet in the bathroom...you guessed it - they're there. And babies don't have any concept of or need for alone time. They want to be with you constantly. Which makes sense from a biological perspective since they're so small and helpless, but I don't like being around ANYONE 24/7 - even my darling husband. It's made worse by the whole nursing baby thing, because I can't get away for more than a few hours. And the one person I really want to get away with, Bill, is the default babysitter when I am able to go somewhere. At this moment, I would give my little finger for a weekend away from the kids with Bill.

I know, I know, they're going to grow up really fast and I'm going to miss this time with them. I'm going to miss all of Sydney's silly questions, and Owen's sweet little baby sounds. They're going to hit junior high and not want anything to do with us. Right now, though, that sounds like pure heaven. Sigh.

Since I'm on this track, shall we continue with the pity party? Our furnace is out for some reason, and it's quite chilly in the house. I'm a girl who loves her heat, but it will cost $200 for the furnace people to come out on a Sunday and only $89 if we wait until tomorrow. So we're going to be heatless for another 24 hours. And the house will keep getting colder and colder...

And added to that we have another disgusting little expense. There is a dead possum by the side of the house. We have no idea how to dispose of it (and don't want to touch it or bury its possibly disease-ridden corpse in the yard), so we have to pay $90 to have Critter Control take it away. It's visible from the window in our tv room, and Sydney is just fascinated by it. She has to go check on it every hour or so - "There's a possum. It's 'till sweeping." Translation - it's still sleeping.

Needless to say, I've been a little crabby. This morning, Bill grabbed me as I was storming by, gave me a hug and said "I know, I know, you're upset because after this afternoon, you won't be able to watch football again until next year." If you read about my opinions of football a few posts ago, you'll know why this cracked me up.

All right, I'm done with my sob stories! I did manage to complete one more FO for Show Your FO. Just in time, since today's the last day! I can't show them to you, but I will tell you it's another pair of socks, this one for Knit Net's April issue. I am still anxiously awaiting the February issue w/ my sweater in it... I will let you know as soon as it's up.

Now, let's do some sock updates!

Here are Kristy in NC's February socks, which she admits were finished strategically to get that F:

I love the cat sneaking around in the background! She also has a pair of brownie-point socks:

She knit these up out of leftovers in two days while, unfortunately, sitting with her dad in the hospital. Please send Kristy and her dad some get-well thoughts/prayers!

Chrissy finished a gorgeous pair of Jaywalkers in Sunshine Yarns sock yarn. Love that colorway!

Wendy knit an adorable little pair of socks for her son. So cute!

We've been watching Nicholas Sparks movies lately for some reason. My thoughts on this? The Notebook? Yes! A Walk To Remember? Not so much. Mandy Moore has the acting ability of a damp paper towel, in my opinion. And enough with the singing, already! Sheesh!

This brings up a little confession I feel I need to make... I hate Lindsay Lohan. Hate her. But for some reason, I love her movies despite the fact that I watch them convinced that I'm going to hate them. I loved Mean Girls. I loved Freaky Friday. But I'm most red-faced about the fact that I loved Confessions Of A Teenage Drama Queen. I watch it every time it's on cable. I don't even mind the singing. Okay, I'm going to go hang my head in shame now.

11 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

I know how you feel. It's a full time job without tangible benefits. I don't even remember when I had a break without the kids, and grocery shopping doesn't exactly count. Hang in there! I'm right there with you.

11:02 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

I'm right there with you sister! I've stayed home with the girls for going on 5.5 years now. It has gotten so bad over here at the Lovie household that I've had to call my mother, who lives 50 min. away, and tell her "either you come get these kids, or CPS!" All of your feelings are totally justified. Believe me. If you ever need a sounding board, I'm here.

Amy

11:31 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I hear you on Lindsay Lohan... Ugh. I did enjoy Mean Girls though.

I also feel you with the SAHM thing. I get those days too. Hang in there and know there are lots of us that can relate and will listen and nod and agree.

11:38 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Oh, that rings so true! I feel the very same way sometimes. *sigh* It's that double-edged sword of enjoying that you're the only one that can comfort them the way mom does--and that, geez, why can't anyone else do this??? :) Hang in there!

1:15 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Girl, I hear you and AMEN!! Being a SAHM is, by far, the hardest gig I've ever had, too. And for precisely the reason you gave- there are NO breaks. Ever. EVER. And yes, we love our kids more than life itself and would die in an instant for them, but frankly, there are days and times when it just sucks!! And I think it gets even more compounded when you're nursing, with the constant sleep deprivation for over a year. Those were some very dark days when I was nursing Stinky every 20 minutes all night. It seriously takes a mental and physical toll on you when you can't get any amount of uninterrupted shut-eye. Hang in there!! We're all here for you and can definitely relate. And I have to tell you, I LOVED Freaky Friday, too. I may have even teared up at the end. Maybe. ;-) Take care and I hope you can get over your grief about it being the end of football season. ;-) I'm glad you have such a fun and supportive hubby in Bill! :-)

1:22 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Oh, Chrissy, your post makes me grateful for my fulltime job and it only gets me away from 3 dogs and 4 cats. And I can lock any (or all) of them in a room if they get on my nerves. Hope everyone is on their best behavior tomorrow and the furnace man comes early. And takes the possum with him.

5:23 PM  
Blogger lexa said...

I know what you're saying! I only get out to work two days a week for 5.5 hours/day, and one Friday night and a Saturday every second weekend. Last night the six-year-old went to Nanny's for the night. That was a bit of break. The little one is usually a breeze when big brother isn't around. My husband is talking about buying another truck and long hauling again!!! If that happens he'll come home some day to find me a drooling, babbling mess in a corner somewhere! (Our oldest takes meds for ADHD.)

Everyone has those feelings at some point. Hang in there!

5:48 PM  
Blogger Bitterknitter said...

Just adding a voice to the choir, here! We all have those days, and as strange as it may seem, I really don't know how moms with kids that are different ages do it! SAHM is the most important job on the planet, and the rewards, though intangible, are great (it's hard to remember that when there's pee and vomit to clean up and a baby that wants to nurse every time you turn around) You're doing a great job, Chrissy! Don't despair!

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all have those days with the kids- tomorrow will be better.
Oh- and I think your gut reaction to Lindsey Lohan is right on. My dad workerd with her, and said she's "an a**hole". I think that's the only person he's ever said that about just from working on a movie like that. (He's an extra for TV and movies)

7:39 AM  
Blogger Mamma said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. There isn't a mom alive who wouldn't agree that there are days you just want them to go away. And if there is a Mom who says "oh,no I just love them every second of every day" She's lying.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do baby socks count? Feb is a short month you know! Short sox for a short month?

4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home