Monday, February 06, 2006

Hold on to your hats!

'Cuz I have a ton of stuff for you today, and loads of pictures. This is to make up for the scarcity of pics on this blog over the past few weeks. So lock the kids in their rooms, grab a cold drink and settle into your chair because this is going to take awhile!

First up, socks galore. We have Laura's February socks, which were knit in a basic ribbed pattern with Sunshine Yarns yarn.

Gorgeous, aren't they?

Next up, Debbie's Feb socks, which she finished in order for her husband (no, those aren't her hairy legs in the picture) to wear during the superbowl.

Sadly, the Seahawks lost - I hope the socks helped soothe that bitter defeat! I really like that yarn.

Nelda's got her first pair of brownie point socks, and I'm thinking we'll see great things from her for the rest of this knit-along. She is officially addicted!

Roberta's got some gorgeous blue Jaywalkers for her fab Feb socks.

Shelley is showing off some awesome blue-green-yellow striped February socks.

Erica finished up some very lovely subtly striped red socks. She also has some lovely hand-spun yarn p*rn.

And let's welcome our first male knit-alonger, Dave! He's also a new blogger. I knew there had to be sock knitting guys out there somewhere, so I'm very excited to have our first one. (Apologies if any current knit-alongers are actually guys, but from what I've gathered from your blogs and names, there aren't any!)

In other kniterly news, I got my yarn for the Knitter's design! It wasn't what I originally swatched with (which is no surprise) but it is absolutely gorgeous - both the yarn and the color. I'm hoping there's a little bit left over for me! Yay! The bad news is that I think I'm going to have to be a Knitting Olympics dropout. February is almost half over already, and March 10th is going to sneak up on me very quickly. I'm going to need to do work knitting instead of fun knitting during the Olympics. I'm a little bummed, but I will certainly be cheering everyone on from the sidelines.

Also, the GYW website is back up and totally redone. I still have a few tweaks to make to it, but I like my new webhost so much better and the publishing software rocks. I hated the software that the old host used.

And go check out some Monday stash pics at Show Me Your Stash!!!

I want to insert a quick thanks here for everyone who responded with encouraging words about the children and the stay-at-home mom gig. You guys always make me feel better. I'm glad to know there are other moms out there who are excellent moms and still feel like giving their children away at times. It's such a funny relationship - I love them so much, but they're so good at making me crazy. And I don't know that that ends once they grow up! It's a good thing they're so cute. And since you haven't seen them for awhile, here they are:

I love the look of disgust on Sydney's face in that picture. She was out in the backyard and found an old pacifier that had been out there since summer. It was all caked with dirt and the rubber part had turned a ghastly white color. I was so relieved that she seemed grossed out by it and didn't try to stick it in her mouth!

Yesterday had some serious fun and games around here. My in-laws came over and my father-in-law and Bill cut our fig tree most of the way down. Here are some pics for ya!

The tree, with the first few branches trimmed:


As the day went on, the branches piled up and up...


Down goes the top!


Here is some of the aftermath:


And here's what's left:


Now as a general rule, I don't like the cutting down of trees. However, those of you who were reading my blog last summer/fall saw pics of the stupid thing in full leaf, taking up a good third of our tiny backyard. And the worst part was the thousand or so figs that the tree produced, which proceeded to fall all over our backyard and rot into a disgusting cesspool of fig guts. I am so relieved to have it gone, although it was a little bit sad.

I think I've used all of my allotted blogging time for today. Owen likes to sit in his highchair and spill his Cheerios everywhere, but he doesn't like to do it for hours. He has built up quite a collection of debris in the seat of his highchair. When I pick him up, his backside generally looks like this:


The End! (hee, hee, hee)

8 Comments:

Blogger Jillio said...

haha..."the end" is HILARIOUS! and how exciting! the illustrated demise of a fig tree...goodbye, fig tree. (btw, i finished a pair of socks for february.)
sorry you have to be a knitting olympian dropout, but at least it's not like you got drug tested and had to be kicked out, right? good luck with your work knitting...and knitting is knitting is knitting...sometimes, even if it's obligatory knitting, i'd rather be knitting than doing something else.
i just love sydney's face. CLASSIC. :) your kids are so cute.
take care!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What is it about baby butts that just collect the food? I've got a tushie like that at my house too. Too cute.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Jen Hagan said...

Oh, I wish I had the fig trre in my back yard! Love the figs (of course!) Thanks for the pics of the little one, esp. Cheerio butt!

3:44 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I am really loving your new GYW site! It looks so nice. :)

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when my cowboy was that little... cheereo's on the bum bum....hee hee

4:13 PM  
Blogger chris said...

I cracked up at that last pic! At least those Cheerios still look edible. You wouldn't want to see the stuff that gets stuck to Stinky's end when she comes off the highchair! Yeah, I'm not big on housecleaning, as you've probably surmised by now. ;-) I'm still a little sad about the fig tree, but I'll get over it. It just pains me when I think about how crazy much I pay per pound to have some figs with prosciutto (sp?) when you have (had) a whole treeful! Owen and Sydney are so adorable, and my mom assures me that they NEVER stop making you crazy. ;-) Thanks for all the sock updates! Take care! :-)

10:44 PM  
Blogger Adelle said...

I completely forgot to mention that I finished 2 pairs in Jan...

8:37 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

I love Cheerios, but I may never eat them again without picturing them stuck to Owen's butt. ;o)

Sorry about the tree, but sometimes they just gotta go. My husband is a major tree hugger and there is not a random seedling in our yard that doesn't get loving care. *sigh*

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home