Thursday, February 02, 2006

Sigh.

You know my crazy last minute Knitty design? Well, it just got rejected. This one didn't even make it into the queue for consideration. I had a great idea in mind for the next issue, too, but I think I'm going to give up on submitting anything to Amy Singer for awhile. I need to face the fact that she just doesn't like my stuff. I reserve the right to change my mind, but for now I'm going to focus on other things. Like Mag Knits! Kerrie just accepted another design for the June issue. I should just send her my stuff right off the bat since she DOES like it. Why bash my head against a brick wall repeatedly?

Part of it is the fact that Knitty was one of the first places I went to after I got back into knitting. The patterns were so cool, and I loved the coffeeshop (still do but haven't had any time to hang out in there in months). It just feels like the place that I love so much should love me back, and the rejections just make me feel bad about it and about Amy. I know I shouldn't take it personally, but it's so hard not to! Especially when the new issues come out, and I think that my stuff is just as good as some of the stuff in there... (Of course, I'm not objective and possibly very wrong.) Anyway, I still love Knitty, but I'm not loving trying to submit designs there! Although I can see myself doing an about-face and deciding I'm going to flood her with designs until she accepts one.

Okay, on to happier things! I do have some sock updates, but I'm going to save them for tomorrow to go along with the big prize announcement. I actually have some pictures to show you today!

First up are some knit-along prizes sent my way from Quikeye.


Aren't they gorgeous? I still haven't decided if they will be monthly prizes or go in the big prize basket at the end. I've also decided to add a prize to go to the person with the most brownie points at the end of the knit-along, so keep those socks coming!

She also sent me this lovely little yarn cake as a thank you for hosting the knit-along.


This is a little mill-end of Cherry Tree Hill Glitz. Does it not rock? I can't wait to make something out of it. Thanks, girlfriend!

Next, I'll give you a little preview of the June Mag Knits design without giving too much away.


Hmm...what could it be?

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I'm taking some fashion design classes at PCC this term. I had the first session of my fashion illustration class last night, and it was so cool. We drew croquis, which are basically just proportional figures. Here are a couple of mine (I like the one on the right best). Sorry about the bad picture quality, but it's hard to take a good pic of a pencil drawing on paper in dim lighting with a flash!


My sketches are just horrible, so it will be nice to be able to draw a decent figure. We're also going to learn to draw fashion poses and technical layouts of clothing (the detailed drawing that a patternmaker could sew from). Obviously this is all geared towards sewn clothes, but I think a lot of it will apply to what I'm doing as well. But boy, do those fashion figures have some long legs! They are totally freakish. Not at all what I (or any other normal woman) look(s) like!!!

And finally, a big congratulations to my friend Chris who FINALLY had her son yesterday morning. He is the cutest little guy, and I'm sure Chris is very much enjoying not being pregnant any longer. Welcome to the world, little guy!

15 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Sorry about the rejection. I do think Knitty gets inundated with submissions. Congrats on Magknits though. That's awesome!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

oooh - I think I'm going to really like your next Magknits pattern judging by the yarn!

7:21 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Darn that Knitty. :(

And I'm so glad you said something about those fashion figures having loooong legs--when you said you were drawing proportional figures I thought, "Who has legs like that?" Ha,ha,ha! :)

7:45 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Aw, shucks. But try not to feel too bad about Knitty . . . I know your time will come. Try not to take it personally, like Erica said maybe the stuff just didn't fit right now.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

You should create your own knitting mag. I'm sure your designs would get accepted hee hee!

7:54 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

I'm sorry to hear about Knitty. One of my knitting group friends has had patterns published on there, and she says it's kind of cut throat. Please don't let it get you down!

Amy

7:55 PM  
Blogger Tina in Wonderland said...

Don't let the Knitty 'rejection' get ya down. Do you have any idea how many times Stephen King's Cujo got rejected before he sold it? Many, many, I can't remember the exact number at this moment but it was over 10 times! So Don't worry, I'm sure your knit design masterpieces will be published.

How nice of Quikeye to donate that yarn! Cool!

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bummer! I'm sorry to hear to have to be bummed about a rejection...I'm sure there's something else going on! But you'll be in magKnits again and many others I'm sure!!

10:13 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Man, I'm so sorry to hear about Knitty. But everyone's totally right- don't let it get you down!!! Your stuff is getting accepted left and right elsewhere, and you're practically going to become the MagKnits cover girl soon. (HUGE congratulations to you on that one! Go, Chrissy!) With Knitty, I know it's hard not to take it personally, but your time will absolutely come. I'm positive of that, so chin up and try to focus on all the other great things that are happening with your designing. Like all the submissions that have been accepted and that awesome design class! BTW, that's so sweet of Quikeye to donate all that great yarn! And congrats to your friend- that 9th month is rough!! ;-) Take care, Chrissy! :-)

12:09 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I would like to second the other comments and send some hugs! It's a bummer, but Knitty must get a lot of submissions and perhaps yours haven't been the right thing at the right time yet. You never know.

Congratulations on MagKnits, though! That is awesome! You know, perhaps as you have more published designs out there (and you are racking them up, lady!), Knitty will take another look. Ziggy is lovely and I can't wait to see your June pattern!

4:13 AM  
Blogger Ragan said...

Sorry to hear that your design got rejected! I am sure that it was great! OOOHHHHH pretty yarn!! I have finished my February pair (thanks to Karen who is hosting a FO week, it was inspiring). Yipee, now I am working on my brownie points! Have a great day! Can't wait to see some of that fashion design!

4:48 AM  
Blogger Mamma said...

I love Knitty, but I'm just not getting their patterns lately. I don't know why they rejected your submission. The others are right, don't let it get you down.

6:03 AM  
Blogger V said...

Knitty is quick with the axe. I got one of those the very next day before. It made me pissy a little bit too, but you still gotta love them. I love your scarf in the current Magknits...it's how I got here to your blog...

So forget Knitty and congrats on Magknits...I have one coming for March through them! :)

6:10 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Sorry to hear about the Knitty thing. Like others have said, could just be that the designs don't fit with the theme at the moment. Yay for MagKnits though! Such a good knitting tease.

6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't take it personally when you get rejected by a publication! It's hard for editors to go through all the submissions and whittle it down to just the right ones for the upcoming issues. There are loads of great patterns and ideas that get submitted but only so many that can be published in an issue. You are doing the right thing - don't let it get you down, just submit it elsewhere!

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home