Thursday, January 19, 2006

Happy Birthday, Darling!!!


Today is my darling husband's birthday. I won't tell you which one, but he was born in a year ending with a zero so you do the math. He's well on his way to being officially middle-aged! And he's going to love me for telling you all that (and posting this picture in which he's making such a lovely chipmunk expression). Anyway, happy birthday, sweetie pie!

I did manage to call him and wish him a happy birthday around 11 am this morning. The first time I saw him today, I didn't remember to say anything. I blame severe sleep deprivation caused by a little boy who wouldn't go to sleep until midnight and woke up at 6 am, ready to rock, after wanting to nurse every single frickin' hour during those six short hours of sleep that I was allowed. I could barely function when he wanted me to play at 6, so I handed him over to Bill and pulled the covers over my head for another hour. So much for getting to sleep in on your birthday!

Owen had his 9 month checkup this morning and is doing great - 20th percentile in weight, 40th in height and 90th in head size. Yup, he inherited the gigantic head that is shared by both my family and Bill's. It just means he's going to be smart, right? He still has fluid in both of his ears, a little bit of pus in his left ear, and has two more teeth coming in. Any of these things could be the reason for all the crankiness at night, but the doctor is reluctant to give him any more antibiotics since there isn't really a bad infection and he just got done with a round. So, we'll see what happens over the weekend. I am very sympathetic to the poor little guy since my ears are still bugging me. I just can't get them to clear. At this point I'm resigned to spending the rest of my life half deaf.

Now that you're sick of hearing about all of my health complaints, let's get on to my favorite part of the day - sock updates!!!

Karen FINALLY finished sockling #2. Don't worry, hon, it gets easier with each pair! You've got lots of great sock yarn to keep you busy for a long time.

Lisa finished a gorgeous pair of Jaywalkers. Go check them out!

Tara knitted up a pair of magic stripes socks for her Penguin.

Leah rocked a pair of Geranium Jaywalkers. Love that Sock Garden!

And Elizabeth finished a lovely lime green and black pair of January socks. Very nice!

Whew! I think I got everyone there. If not, send me an e-mail. Like I said, sleep-deprived mommy here, trying to keep up with all of you crazy sockstresses!


I am working on the heel flap for Jaywalker #1, and in the midst of all the sock craziness went and signed myself up for the Knitting Olympics. I'm going to use it as the motivation I need to finally get knitting on the Cabled Shrug from IK Fall '05. I'm going to have to slow down on my Jaywalkers so that I don't have to knit another pair of socks in February! Not that it matters, since I'm not going to put myself in the prize drawings (that would be lame, since many of the prizes are coming out of my stash, and I don't need to be giving myself yarn that I already own...).

And I have some sad news. I was shocked and dismayed to find my Knit Net sweater in the mail today, returned to me as undeliverable. I e-mailed the assistant editor to find out what the he** is up, but of course haven't heard back. So I'm guessing there's no way it will be included in the February issue. Since I have the pattern and everything already, I'm going to try to get it up for sale on my website ASAP. I am so bummed! Oh, well. What can you do?

9 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Hmm, I'm beginning to wonder if this is really a Jaywalker KAL! Thanks for the updates, and happy birthday to your DH! I had to look twice to realize that he wasn't making a rude gesture...

So sorry to hear about your knitnet submission. Maybe they'll bump you to March due to technical difficulties?

4:33 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Oh, no! I'm sorry to hear about the Knit Net sweater. Wonder what happened?

Lots of socks goin' on there! I'm using the Knitting Olympics to try to knit Kepler. I've had the yarn since, oh, August . . . Can't wait to see the cabled shrug. It's awfully pretty!

4:43 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Man, I'm so sorry to hear about the Knit Net sweater, Chrissy. I'm so bummed for you! I wonder what happened?? I'm with Jen in hoping that they'll just bump it to March, since this clearly isn't your fault and was completely out of your control. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Happy Birthday to Bill! Hooray for cake and ice cream....oh, whoops, you never mentioned anything about either; that's just me being hungry. ;-) I sure feel for you with the nursing every hour bit. Yep, those were 19 months of serious kick-butt sleep dep. Thanks for all the sock updates and can't wait to see your Cabled Shrug- I love that pattern!! Take care, Chrissy! :-)

4:51 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Oh, what a bummer about your sweater! Can't wait to see it though. Sorry the boy child is causing sleep deprivation. I've no kids so my only frame of reference is the new puppy months. Bleck! Sleep deprivation sucks.

I'm loving seeing all the socks!

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your honey.

Just remember lack of sleep stage will pass. I know this to be true.

Check my blog as I completed one pair of socks in January as they were made for Ariane at Wicked Stitches. I call them Spring Garden. They were a hostess gift for Holiday Knits Sock Exchange.
Pics are available at her site, due to the fact my new camera had not arrived before I mailed them to her.

Have a great night.

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful sock updates. I really got to get going if I want to finish a January pair, but I must finish fuzzy feet first for my sister. Hey I realized recently that you live in Portland...I live 4 hours from you and go up there frequently. Maybe next time we will have to get together and you can show me a great local yarn shop. Our babies could play as well. My son is 16 months. Anyway, great pics. Happy Birthday to your husband.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Manda said...

That's a great choice for the Knitting Olympics! I've had my eye on that shrug since I first saw the magazine. My Olympic entry (Broadripple) will double for my February socks since I've yet to complete a pair of socks in anything thinner than worsted.

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about the design! After you put all that work in to have something so weird mess the whole thing up! I can't wait to see it here, though!

4:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brand spankin' new reader here!

So a big happy belated birthday to your hubby!...I'm guessing he was born in 1970??

And by the way I'm still waiting till I can sleep through the night...my one year old daughter wants to nurse every hour too! Someday, huh? But it's so worth it:o)

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home