Saturday, January 14, 2006

Ah, Saturday...

Yesterday was not a good day. My ears still hurt, the kids were absolute nightmares (I think Sydney cried approximately 10 of the 12 hours she was awake yesterday, for no good reason), and I just wanted to take a nap. There were points where I was carrying Owen around, wondering what would happen to him if I just passed out. I tried not to walk too close to anything with sharp corners, just in case.

Today is looking up. My ears still hurt, and I'm almost completely deaf because of all of the fluid (Bill is finally learning to yell everything instead of talking in a normal voice, only to have me say "what?"), but at least Bill is home to share my pain. And I got this little goodie in the mail:

An RAK from the lovely Sharon! She'd already spilled the beans that she was sending me the EZ book, but the rest was a delightful surprise! The Joy Of Knitting Companion will be a great design tool because it's filled with this:

Yup, knitter's graph paper. You can never have too much of that lying around! And, more sock yarn! How appropriate. Knit Picks Essential in Grass (one of my favorites) and Sock Garden in Hydrangea. Love it! Now my biggest problem is having more sock yarn than I can reasonably knit in the near future. What to do, what to do...

Sock Updates
We have some finished socks to admire! Sonya finished her Whitbys and they are gorgeous. And go check out Melanie's blue-and-green striped socks. Very funky!

Keep those updates coming, sockers! Also, if you've e-mailed or commented about joining but don't see your name on the sidebar, please e-mail me again. I'm not ignoring you - I've just had a much bigger response to my little KAL than I expected! I don't want anyone to get lost in the shuffle!

Get A Haircut
Bill managed to cut Owen's hair yesterday.

Doesn't he look boyish with his new 'do? He's looking peeved because he really hates the red-eye light on the camera. I tried to cut his hair last week, but I couldn't manage to wield the scissors, hold his arms down so he wouldn't grab them, and hold his head still so I wouldn't cut skin instead of hair, all at the same time. I'm not quite sure how Bill did it, but they both appear to have come through unscathed.

Knitting, Anyone?

This is one of the few recent FOs that I can actually show you. It's swatch #1 for my TKGA Master's Level 1. 2x2 ribbing and garter stitch - how exciting. Can you see why I'm not dying to do these? I know the basics are important, but I'd much rather swatch up a funky stitch pattern or work on some socks. I will get these done in the next three months! I will! I will!

My Cast-On Socks are done (apart from grafting the toes, which I'm putting off for some reason), and I'm now working on some more swatches for the Quick To Knit Gifts book. They just accepted a third design of mine (for - you guessed it - socks) and are interested in two more of my ideas. It would be crazy if I had five designs in that one book! It gives me hope that some of the swatches that I sent out to Knitter's, IK and No Sheep For You will get a positive reception as well. Although it's probably easier to get the easy little designs accepted in a publication where you're not competing against the likes of Teva Durham and Debbie Bliss. IK is my nirvana, but I'm guessing it will be awhile before I manage to break down that door. Especially since they seem to feature the same designers every single month. Anyway, they've got some swatches, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

And keep on socking!

6 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

Glad to hear you're (sort of) up & around. At least Bill's home to help.

And nice swatch. :) I thought of you today when I saw this message from Spun magazine calling for submissions. I figured you'd probably seen it (and probably run the other way screaming because of all the work you already have before you), but thought I'd mention it anyway. :)
Have a great weekend! (and feel better soon)

12:51 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Oooh, receiving EZ knitting goodies is good for whatever ails you. And what a lovely swatch. I'm working on level 1 also. Well, occasionally I work furiously on it, and then put it aside for months.

Hope your ear infection continues to clear up quickly.

1:29 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Glad to hear today's a better day. It always help to at least have the DH home to share in the grief. ;-) What an awesome RAK package! I love EZ's writing style and sock yarn is always a good thing- especially in such pretty colors. Owen looks so cute in his new do! It really makes him look so grown up; much more boy than baby. And most of all, CONGRATULATIONS on all your designs!! It's so awesome to see it really taking off for you- I couldn't be happier for you! You'll be in IK in no time! Take care and have a great weekend! :-)

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My goodness what a day!! I've been passed out for two days with a measly cold. I CANNOT imagine being home with 2 younglings as well. Motherhood is the toughest job, that's for sure. I'm impressed with the Bill-cut!

4:41 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Glad you are feeling better. So rough when the caregiver is sick! Glad you had some help. Take care.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I've got my fingers crossed - and I know in my heart you WILL break down the IK door. I'm so proud of all the design work that has been getting accepted! Go girl! I'm sorry you are still battling the ear infections, hope you are back to feeling better soon. Although, the reduced hearing may not have been all that bad if Sydney cried for 10 hours!! Owen looks so grown up with his new haircut - but as cute as ever!

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home