Thursday, January 12, 2006

Socks and lots & lots of pictures!

Socks!
Well, we have 37 sockers as of my latest update this morning - wow! This knit-along is going to be a blast! Thanks for playing, guys! I updated the rules this morning to reflect a few changes (all of which are in other posts, if you've been reading along), the most important of which is to PLEASE E-MAIL ME YOUR SOCK UPDATES! As much as I love all of you and want to read your blogs every day, I just can't do it without putting the anklebiters up for adoption. I'm also going to just post the updates at the beginning of my regular blog posts every day. I think this is nicer than posting a big long list every week. Yes, I am stealing heavily from Lolly's Socktoberfest because I had such a blast participating in that knit-along!

Since the only knitting I'm doing right now is work-related, I give you a sneak peek at the Cast-On design (without giving away any of the details, other than the fact that it's a sock):

And no, it's not some bizarro thing with a cuff coming out of the foot. I just folded it over so you couldn't see the stitch pattern. You'll have to wait for the magazine to come out to see that!

There Goes The Neighborhood
If you were around at Halloween time, you saw pictures of our jack-o-lanterns which had faces scribbled in Sharpie at the last minute since we didn't get around to carving them. And you'll remember that we had two mini-pumpkins, two butternut squash (since we didn't get around to shopping for pumpkins until the last minute and all the stores were sold out by the time we got there), and one big mama pumpkin that we picked up on our earlier trip to the pumpkin patch.

Well, Sydney walked off with the mini-pumpkins (they're probably rotting in one of her hidey holes somewhere), and one of the butternut squash was made into soup. The other squash and the big pumpkin, however, are still on our porch.

Bill's theory is that it will just continue to sink into itself until it disappears. I think it might disappear, too, but for a different reason - I have visions of my mother-in-law sneaking over here in the middle of the night and taking it away because she can't stand it being on our porch any longer. If she doesn't do it, maybe the raccoons will!

The Small Fry
Here is what happens quite often when I'm knitting on the couch.


For some reason, the boy loves chewing on yarn. He also has loads of fun with other knitting-related notions:


The knit chek and the tape measure are his new favorite toys. Sydney loves the tape measure, too, mainly because she can hold onto the end of the tape and swing the little cannister around her head like a lasso. It's kind of cute, so I try to tolerate it until she clocks either me or her brother with it.

And so the girl doesn't feel left out, I took a picture of her last night in her classic begging pose.

She doesn't like Good & Plenty (I gave her one a few weeks ago, and she spit it out immediately and gave me a dirty look), but she knows it's candy and so she wants it. Why can't she be like this with broccoli?

11 Comments:

Blogger Jillio said...

nice, uh, sock? hehe. the color's nice. that's about all i can say about that, huh?
eww...moldy pumpkins...gaah! i think that would take care of the raccoons, though ;)
owen is such a cutie! just make sure he doesn't eat any of the yarn. i kitchenering a sock at starfish's house and his cat came up and ate the end i cut off...ate 5" of yarn like it was a noodle of spaghetti! i'm not sure which end it came out of, but i wasn't about to stick around to find out. it'd be funny to see some pink yarn sticking out of the litter box, though...
your kids are just so adorable with their big eyes! and sydney's ringlets! she looks so innocent ;P

9:53 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Wonder which tastes better - the yarn or the Good & Plenty?? HA!!!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

My daughter is a yarn chewer, too. I guess they think it's tasty stuff. That's pretty funny about Sydney and the candy she doesn't like. Kids!

10:37 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Ooooohhhh....a sock design to look forward to! Yay! So, when you (aka any designer) design a sock, what kind of heel do you use? Do you just adapt a heel method you like to work with your stitch count? I mean, you don't actually come up with a new way to do a heel, do you? 'Cause that would just be crazy. (Can you tell I'm working on Falling Leaves? This short rowed toe is just blowing my mind!--in a good way.)

11:53 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Hmm, I guess I checked in with you just in time to join the sock-a-month KAL. i'm not even going to pretend I'll knit that many socks, but I can do at least one pair in the next six months, right? Sign me up! I love chances to win stuff...

Looks like you've been really busy since I dropped off the map. When's your first design coming out?

1:00 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

We've got a couple of those moldy pumpkins on our deck too. Kevin loves watching them decompose every year. I say "Eeew." I'm very intrigued by the sock. Can't wait to see it. Now I'm going to spend the next 20 minutes deciding which sock KAL button to use.

2:11 PM  
Blogger lexa said...

I'd like to join this KAL, too! I don't do a whole lot of socks, but I think I can manage this. I actually have a new-found love of sock knitting and made two pairs of work socks for Christmas gifts. Count me in!

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have almost completed my january socks. Pic in the blog.

12:19 AM  
Blogger chris said...

Man, that pumpkin looks like an intro Microbiology lab waiting to happen! I can't even say I'm grossed out, so much as just plain fascinated. The erstwhile microbiologist in me is trying to figure out how many different species are coexisting on that one pumpkin. I'm thinking the raccoons know when they're outnumbered!! ;-) Owen and Sydney are so darned adorable! Owen's hair is really starting to come in, too..and look at him standing, big guy! And I can totally feel for Sydney- I'm not a big licorice fan, either, but that Good & Plenty box always looks so tempting! Take care! :-)

12:44 AM  
Blogger Ragan said...

Wow! That pumpkin looks like ours did. My husband insisted that I finally throw it away (which was very tricky). Your little gal is like my youngest son...if it is candy he is determined.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Penny said...

I just gotta tell you. That small fry is a doll babe! He is just adorable.

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home