Monday, December 12, 2005

Whew!

The Knit Net sweater is knitted and blocking. Yay! Now I just have to seam it up, knit the neckband and type up the pattern. Okay, so I still have a lot left to do. But getting that puppy blocking was such a huge relief! Now I can do some swatching for all the other calls for designs that seem to be coming out lately. I went to the Yarn Garden the other night to get some swatching yarn, and boy was it fun. It was great to wander around the store without a specific project in mind and pick up a ball here, a ball there... It's a totally different way to shop! It's nice to not have to make a huge commitment to a single yarn.

I can't find the stupid camera anywhere, so I can't show you a picture of what I got, but I'll try my best to describe. First, a nice utilitarian ball of Sirdar Snuggly. It's acrylic & nylon, which I didn't realize when I picked it up, but it's very nice and soft (and machine washable and dryable). Not your typical nasty acrylic. Next, a nice little hank of Classic Elite Premiere. This is a luscious cotton/tencel blend that is ridiculously soft. It will be interesting to see how this compares to the Blue Sky Alpacas cotton. Then I snagged a skein of Brown Sheep Wildfoote. It's a little rough in the skein, but I bet it will wash up great (like Knit Picks Essential). Then a ball of Filatura Di Crossa Zarina merino which caught my eye because of its very cool texture, which I can't really figure out how to describe. It's kind of springy and spiraly. And a ball of Tahki Willow, 66% linen & 34% cotton, and SWTC Phoenix, 100% soy silk ribbon.

The last two balls are my very favorite. The first is Crystal Palace Kid Merino which is a lace-weight mohair blend. It's a great colorway with rich reds, pinks and greens. Finally, I splurged on an $18 ball of Anny Blatt angora. I can't imagine being able to afford an entire sweater of that stuff, but it sure is luxurious. It is sooooo soft, I want to just carry my little swatch around with me and rub my cheek with it. This is the first ball I cracked into when I got home. I really like yarn!

7 Comments:

Blogger Bitterknitter said...

Wait a minute... you like yarn??? I never would have guessed! ;) (me, too!) Seriously, congrats on all the progress and design opportunities heading your way!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Oh, where is that camera!? It sounds like a fabulous collection of yarns. Congrats on getting the sweater blocked. I imagine it's like getting a paper done on a deadline. You know you have lots of editing to do, but it feels really good to get the bulk of the writing done.

12:50 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Congrats on finishing the Knit Net sweater! That must be a huge relief. And yay for more yarn! I bet the Anny Blatt is amazing. A ghetto girl can always dream! ;-) I have a couple of skeins of the Wildfoote, but like you, I found it a little rough to work with. Not acrylic nasty, but just rougher than Knit Picks. I didn't think about it softening up with washing, but now I'm going to give it a try. Take care and Hang in there! :-)

4:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like you got some great stuff! Isn't it fun to get to browse like that?

Glad you had so much fun!

4:29 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What lovely Stash Enhancement!

Congrats on getting a lot done on the sweater!

7:16 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Wow, that sounds like some interesting haul! Hope you find the camera soon.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Jillio said...

yes, find the camera! hey wait, don't you have that fancy shmancy motorola razor phone with the built in camera!? i know it's not regular digital camera quality, but it's better than nothing ;)
that wildfoote is different...as in, at first touch, it sure doesn't feel like lorna's laces or vesper! i haven't had the chance to finish the sock i was working on to wash it. but yarn cannot be judged based on first impressions. :)
sorry, my post is late.
haha...word verification is otsoo! like that sound you make when you unsuccessfully try to catch a snotty sneeze. hehe

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home