Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Too legit to quit

I'm legit, baby! I got my letter of acceptance into PKDG as an associate member. Yay! I immediately asked for a mentor, and the chair of PKDG, Diane Zangl (who is a knitting goddess to the nth degree), who also happens to be the membership coordinator and the person I asked about getting a mentor, volunteered to mentor me herself. (Okay, I just read that sentence back to myself - I definitely need to take remedial english.) Yay!

Things were going eerily well for me, and I knew that it couldn't last. I was knitting along today on my Friday Harbor sock and thought "Hmm, that looks rather small". I've become really lazy about making gauge swatches for socks, because they're pretty much all the same weight yarn on the same size needles w/ the same number of stitches. These had fewer stitches but were on size 2 needles and with slightly thicker yarn, so I thought I was fine. Hah! I decided to check my gauge on the all-stockinette sole, just for kicks, and was shocked and dismayed to discover that I was knitting 8 sts/inch where I was supposed to be knitting 6. Whoopsie! No wonder the socks were looking like they'd fit Sydney. So...ribbit, ribbit! The Friday Harbor sock is no more. They were nice and fast, though, so I'm not that depressed about it. You thought second sock syndrome was bad - how 'bout third?

I'm not going to blog tomorrow morning - instead I'm going to try to catch up with all of the reading and commenting I need to do! It's not nice when I go into Bloglines and have 250 new posts to read... My mom is coming to see us tomorrow night and is staying through Tuesday - yay! She hasn't seen the grandkids since August, so she's due for a visit. Bill & I can't wait to have a baby entertainer in the house! Maybe we'll sneak away and see the new Harry Potter movie - I keep hearing rave reviews. Although I really want to see North Country since it's filmed in Northern Minnesota near where I grew up. And of course Wallace & Grommit for the knitting. We'll probably end up parked on the couch in front of bad TV movies. Which reminds me - it's time to watch Home For The Holidays! One of my all-time favorite movies and a Thanksgiving tradition in the Knittin' Mom household. We also have a tradition of watching Creepshow on Christmas Eve (this is something my husband's family has done for decades), but that's a whole 'nother story...

5 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Woo hoo, congrats on the PKDG acceptance!! And on getting a great mentor. I'm so happy all the knitting has been going so well for you (well, except for the poor little sock - sorry 'bout that one). Have a great visit with Mom/Baby Entertainer. :)

7:56 PM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

Congratulations! That's so exciting. You must be feeling pretty happy about that. Sorry about your little sock, though.

8:00 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Congratulations!!! So many awesome things happening with your designing- I'm so, so happy for you! Get that marquee ready... Had a scary '80's flashback with that title, though (or was it early '90's?). ;-) So great that your mom's coming up to see you guys. Can you say babysitter? Woohoo! Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!! :-)

10:40 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's awesome Chrissy! Yay for you! Have a Happy Thanksgiving! And definitely go see the Potter movie, it is a winner.

3:01 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Yay for PKDG membership and baby entertainers! Sorry about the Sydney sized sock. The first one came out ok though, hence ripping out the second and leaving a third to do?

Happy Thanksgiving...

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home