Thursday, December 01, 2005

And the winner is...

The Bitter Knitter! Congratulations, Lisa! Your vote of 220 came closest to the grand total of...233 complete balls of yarn in my stash! How frightening, although I'm more frightened by the fact that keohinani guessed that I had 503... Give me a few more months, and I might just get there if I don't start knitting a little bit faster. Thanks for playing, y'all!

Can you all believe it's December already? We closed on our house in Portland one year ago today, and it's the best move we've ever made. We went to Maui last Thanksgiving to celebrate with my mom. After a lovely four days of frolicking on the beach and eating belgian waffles with coconut syrup and macadamia nuts at the Maui Prince Hotel, we flew back to LA for a couple of days (it's a long story why, but basically we bought the non-refundable tickets to Hawaii before we sold our house, so we had to fly from Oregon to LA to Hawaii to LA to Oregon). Bill was still working in LA, so I had to haul my relatively pregnant self and an almost-two-year-old Sydney on the plane back to Portland by myself.

It was a relatively uneventful flight, but when we got back to the airport park-and-ride, I realized that I'd totally forgotten where I parked the car. We had about an hour to get across town to the Realtor's office to sign the papers, and of course it was raining. We still had our Subaru Outback, and I thought I spotted it from the shuttle and we hopped off. However, as I drew near, I realized with a sinking stomach that the Outback I thought was ours had an Oregon license plate (we still had our CA plates). Portland is the land of 10,000 Subarus, so there were probably a hundred cars in the parking lot that looked exactly like ours. So, I had to drag a toddler, a suitcase, a carseat and a pregnant belly across the parking lot in the rain, searching for our car. Luckily I remembered the general area where we had parked and I managed to get us to the car after about 10 minutes of walking. In this hassled state, I sped to the realtor's office and we hauled butt to the closing agent (who was around the corner).

We have a funny story (involving a dirty diaper) about closing on our house in California. Sydney was about four months old, and we brought her with us to the closing. At one point, we were trying to keep her entertained and sat her up on the realtor's desk. She used the opportunity to let fly with a tremendous explosion which echoed loudly off the surface of the desk. Fortunately, the diaper kept it contained, but it was pretty funny to see the look on the realtor's face... Well, Sydney was determined to live up to her reputation once again (and this time she was a toddler with about double capacity). We got about halfway through signing the papers when she started making the poopy face. I was hoping that it would be a small one, but she hadn't gone for a couple of days so I was trying to prepare myself for the worst. Of course I had left the diaper bag in the car, back at the realtor's office. I figured I could just sign fast and I'd clean her up when we were done. Alas, it was not to be. The diaper was helpless in the face of that onslaught - the walls were breached and we had a serious code brown situation on our hands. Fortunately, the closing agent had a four-month-old baby at home and was veeeeeery understanding. I had to haul a** through the rain, back to the car to get a clean diaper and new clothes.

After these two incidents, we were quite convinced that there was something about closing on a house that made Sydney feel the need to dirty her drawers. She accompanied my in-laws to the closing on their house, which occurred while we were in the hospital having Owen. We both warned them ahead of time to bring extra diapers and clothes, and Sydney held up her part of the bargain by doing her business as soon as they started putting pen to paper. She has a perfect record - three for three! She's out of diapers now, and we're done buying houses, but we'll have a great story to tell to her friends when she's fifteen.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jillio said...

actually, i wasn't aiming high on purpose; i was just thinking of oregon's area code 503. :) you've been flashing stash like crazy, so i was actually worried i would've been right! ;P yay for contests! don't forget to vote in mine ;)

11:37 AM  
Blogger Jillio said...

oh, and sydney's story was HI-LAR-EEE-USSSS!!!!!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

That's an amazing stash. Good for you! And what a wonderful daughter keeping you so entertained.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Wow! Sounds like you have quite a lovely fiber stash.

Aren't kids funny? They always choose the "right" moments for embarassing behavior/bodily functions.

2:46 PM  
Blogger chris said...

That is one AMAZING stash! Congrats to Lisa! Your story about Sydney and closing on houses is too funny! Man, kids have the worst timing. Once, we were in the middle of a courthouse renewing my passport, and Bossy starting singing, "I have to go doo-doo!" to the opening tune of Sesame Street. I wanted to die. But not as bad as I wanted to die when I told him to wait a second till I finished and he started singing, "I already made doo-doo!" BTW, hurry up and come back to HI so we can get our poopy kids together. :-)

5:29 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

What a great story! Maybe it's the stress of dealing with real estate that gets her going. Hopefully this will not reappear when she closes on her first house.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

That is quite a stash! Lucky you. And the poop stories, heh.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I started thinking about my stash - I think I'm afraid to start counting!!! Congratulations on your one year house anniversary!!! Sydney is too funny - a little bomb wrapped up in an angel face!!

4:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home