Monday, November 21, 2005

Look, ma! Knitting!

I have some very nice knitting pics to show you, but first, I have to share my good news. No, I'm not pregnant (not that you were thinking that, but isn't that what everyone always says before they make that announcement?). I had an e-mail waiting for me this morning from Valerie at Knit Net - they want my sweater design for their February issue! Yahoo! I am so excited. And they responded really fast (I think I sent that submission in last week sometime). That's the nice thing about the online publishers (apart from Knitty, anyway) - it doesn't take them MONTHS to get back to you. In other design news, I have a bunch of swatches photographed and sketches made for my No Sheep For You subs. I have so many ideas clunking around in my brain right now (thank you, Barbara Walker), it's hard to keep up. I was thinking yesterday that if all of my designs get accepted (or even a couple), I'm going to be in trouble... I'm going to be knitting 24/7 to get them all done by their deadlines. That would be a problem I wouldn't mind having (although Bill might)!

Okay, on to the knitting. First up, a pair of braided cable wrist-warmers.


They're knit in Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Chunky from this pattern over on litlnemo's blog. They were very easy and knit up fast with the nice chunky yarn. Now I'm going to try to come up with a matching hat. It has gotten durn chilly around here!


You wouldn't think it would be so hard to get a decent picture of your own arm! I was thinking of giving these away as a Christmas present, but I've decided that I'm done knitting Christmas gifts. I'm rebelling. I have my mother-in-law's gift done, and she's the one who will appreciate a hand-knit gift the most anyway, since she's a quilter and knows the work that goes into these things.

That said, I am still making up the felted clogs. In fact, I'd think this would be a gift anyone would love. If I'm not totally sick of them after I make the first two pairs, I'll knit up some more. The first one went pretty fast, despite the fact that I was waaaay off the first time around and had to completely frog all of the pink. I also realized that I got the yardage backwards. To make the 2-colored clogs, you need 2/3 in one color and 1/3 in the other. I got 2/3 of the plain pink and 1/3 of the variegated yarn. Well, after one clog, I have tons of pink left and none of the variegated. Back to the yarn store for more - bummer!


They look so funny unfelted. This one is even too big for my hubby's ginormous feet. I'll probably make him a pair at some point - it will be hilarious to see how big THOSE are pre-felting. They'll look like a papoose!

Finally, I managed to sneak my two socks on two circs out of the bedroom for a quick pic.


Making two pairs of one sock on two circs really helped me get this down. The Addis also make a huge difference. These are 20" long, too, instead of 24" and I now realize that that extra 4" was REALLY getting in the way. It's almost impossible for me to knit onto the wrong needle with this length because they're too darn short - the needle just doesn't want to bend that way! So, I am quite happy with my little project here. The lace pattern is quite nice as well. I've managed to muddle my way through two repeats.


It's annoying that the progress is much slower (well, duh, you're doing twice as much work, dummy!), but I'm excited about the fact that when I graft up that first toe, I'll just have a second toe to graft instead of a whole 'nother sock to knit!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jillio said...

woo hoo! yay for FO's! dang, girl, you're on a roll. git down wit' yo' designin' self! that's so awesome.
now i'm debating. seeing your felted clogs makes me want to change the plans i have for my cascade 220...decisions, decisions.
great progress on the yukon leaves socks. i love the color! and having two socks done at once? such a triumph!
when i finished my inside out socks, it felt like there was no one to show :( i showed my mom, "look! i finished two socks at the same time! i did one inside the other!!!" and you know what? she shrugged it off. "that's nice." *sigh* it's hard living with non-knitters...so know i'll do a little happy dance for you when you post pics of the finished pair.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! You are having so many things published - I can't keep track. I can't wait to see each and every one. Thanks for the link to the wrist warmers, too. I just got some chunky yarn to make a hat and fingerless mitts set, and that pattern will be perfect!

1:53 PM  
Blogger litlnemo said...

Wow, look at that! I am so thrilled that you knitted the wristwarmers! :) Thanks for posting the photos!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Big congrats on your design! How very exciting. The FOs all look great too. My feet are warm just looking at the future felted clog.

3:50 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Congratulations on getting your design published!! How awesome! Love the cabled wrist warmers and the clogs are great. I think you planned on running out of the variegated. ;-) Your yukon leaves are looking good, too, especially in that beautiful green. Be sure to re-remind us when your designs come out, okay?

6:15 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Kudos for the pattern! I will have to make me some of those wrist warmers. They may be pink since that's the only bulky yarn I have. Heh. I love the color of those socks.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I knew your design career would really take off - good for you! Just don't forget us "little people" when you are a big famous designer!! LOL And lots of knitting progress too, good for you. Everything looks great.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Congratulations on the knitnet acceptance! I really like the cabled wrist warmers, and what is the variegated yarn you're using for the felted slippers? Is that really Cascade 220?

All of these lovely projects are making me want to start something new... MUST STAY FOCUSED. But the socks are just too much to resist. MUST STAY FOCUSED. sigh. Stupid holiday knitting...

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home