Thursday, November 17, 2005

Boyoboyoboyoboy!

I have been gettin' some love from the mailman. You all saw the package my SP6 sent to me the other day. Yesterday, I found this lovely little RAK waiting for me, sent by Lindsey (from the knittyboard) all the way from Germany.


Yummy, yummy, yummy chocolate! It is soooo good. I was savoring it last night as I was holding a screaming baby and watching Martha Stewart's Apprentice at 1:30 am (but that's a whole 'nother story...).

Then, today, on my way out the door to pick Sydney up from school, I found two more little packages waiting for me! I was already late, so as much as it killed me, I had to wait until I got home to tear into them.

The first was ANOTHER little sumpin' sumpin' from my lovely SP6.


The Fiber Trends felted clogs pattern! Yahoo! This solves my dilemma over the Conwys. I'm going to make Sydney's teacher & assistant clogs for Christmas! That way, there's no unanswered questions about why I asked for their foot sizes. Plus, who wouldn't want a pair of felted clogs? Since you just wear them around the house, there's no worry about fashion tastes. Plus it gives me an excuse to buy more yarn at Lint on Monday...I think I'm going to use Lamb's Pride for these babies since I was so happy with how it felted up for Spork.

As if that wasn't enough, I got a package of good stuff from my Knitty Holiday SP. Check out this swag!

Wrapped...


And unwrapped...


So, this little package o' goodies includes a cute little holiday bracelet, some body butter and peppermint foot cream (complete w/ pumice board) from the Body Shop, a book called "Tomorrow - Adventures In An Uncertain World" which is full of inspirational quotes acted out by really cute and amazing animal pictures, and three knitting-related items that each deserve their own sentences...

First, the 365 Knitting Stitches A Year perpetual calendar. Funny, I almost bought this for myself the other day! I love that it can be used over and over and over. Then, a little zippered bag that contained a wonderful circular needle that was hand-carved in Nepal. Too cool! I'm going to have to find something to knit up on a size 11 circ! And to top it all off, a ball of Knit Picks Ambrosia (which is baby alpaca and cashmere) in a lovely green color. Love it, love it, love it!

Thanks to all y'all who have been showering me with great gifts these past couple days! It is so much fun getting prezzies in the mail! It helps make up for the fact that the kids have been sick for over three weeks now and we've been trapped in the house. Owen got a fever last night (not sure from what) and didn't cry himself into exhausted sleep until 1:30 am. Poor little guy! Bill was kind enough to drive Sydney to school this morning even though Thursdays & Fridays are my days, which allowed Owen & I to sleep in until 10:30. That helped a little bit, but Owen's still cranky and feverish. I hate having sick kids!

I had another interesting "mommy experience" last night that made me think about the differences in my psyche now that I'm a mother. I was watching the Joy Luck Club, which I've seen a few times (and also read the book) but never since I had kids. If you've seen it, you might remember there's a horrible scene where Ying Ying drowns her baby son in order to punish her evil husband. I've seen this scene before, obviously, and it didn't really make much of an impact on me since I didn't remember it. But last night, it nearly made me throw up. I watched up to the point that she let go of him in the bath and the water covered his face - then I had to change the channel. I sobbed for about ten minutes while watching Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back (hoping that would take my mind off of it). It was just too horrifying.

It was interesting, too, that I felt so unsympathetic to a mother who would do that to her child. Most of you probably don't know that I suffered pretty severe post-partum depression after Sydney was born. I never felt the urge to hurt her, but I did entertain the thought of walking out the door and never coming back, at some points on a daily basis! I was convinced that I was such a horrible mother that Sydney & Bill would be better off without me around. That I was doing more harm than good by being there. Fortunately, Zoloft helped me get my life back in order before Owen was born (and here seems like a good place to insert a hearty "screw you" to Tom Cruise and his anti-antidepressant rants). Fortunately, I have to think really hard to remember what that kind of hopelessness and despair is like. My reaction to the movie last night made me realize how far I've come. Yay for Zoloft!

Finally, I want to apologize (again) for being lax in commenting lately. I am so #*&@#*$ busy these days that it's really hard. I do read you all in Bloglines, though! So don't feel too neglected! Bloglines is great, but I really wish you could comment right in there instead of having to click over to the blog. Oh, well - maybe someday!

11 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

What awesome packages!! I'm especially envious of the Ambrosia. But I'm so happy for you- you so deserve it, especially with everyone being sick. Gawd, I know what that's like and it sure sucks. The worrying, the fussing and everything that goes with that. I haven't seen Joy Luck Club since becoming a mom, but now that you reminded me, I remember that scene well. I have a very hard time watching movies nowadays or anything related to harming children without sobbing or feeling nauseous. I had no idea about your PPD after Sydney. (And Tom Cruise can kiss my *^&, too) I'm glad you were able to find relief. Motherhood is so hard!! I wouldn't trade it for the world, but it's tough. Here's hoping everyone gets better soon, especially little Owen.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Jillio said...

yay for unexpected goodness in the mail!
you know, i read joy luck club back in high school for english class and several times after that. i don't quite remember that part, and i didn't see the movie. i'm sure if i did see the movie, i would've remembered.
if there's one thing men don't understand, it's women. most won't know what it's like to grow boobs, endure cat calls, and transcend socially/culturally imposed hardships based on their gender. they will never experience PMS, PPD, or menopause. they will never experience carrying a growing child within them for months with hormones all over the place, or ever go through the childbirth experience. in fact, the closest they'll ever get is experiencing morning sickness with the mom (my younger brother went through that). i give men credit for genuinely trying, but in instances where couch-jumping cruises are involved, they have no idea.
after typing all that, i almost can't wait to be a mom. haha! (only slight sarcasm, mind you.)
my mom's on zoloft, too.
anyways, on a more serious serious note, i hope things get less hectic and the babies get healthy. you've got lots of new toys to play with (lucky girl), so don't let stress get you down!

3:13 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Hooray for presents! (I'm still waiting for KnitPicks to send me my stinkin' color cards . . .)
Oh, and by the way . . . Tom SUCKS! He completely & totally revealed himself as a crazy cultist and all-around moron.
Who was it that said:
“Better to say nothing and let people think you’re an idiot than open your mouth and prove it.”?

6:02 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Wow, lot's of presents, lucky you.
Funny what motherhood does to the brain! The scary thing is that it's a lifetime committment. Yikes!!!!

9:01 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

wow, great swag from all kinds of people. such a nice treat when things are rough.

i do hope the kids get better soon...

9:55 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Wow, those are great gifts! You must attack your mailman when you see him!

That scene would have really upset me also, and I agree it wouldn't have had much of an effect on me before having my own children but I find that anything in it about children being harmed completely freaks me out now. It is amazing how much kids change you! I'm also much more of a worry wart now (not that that's a good thing).

Oh, and I love your "bad parenting photo" from the other day. It cracked me up, I totally let the baby get into things she shouldn't (like play with my USB cable - not plugged in of course). Her favorite things to do are playing with plastic bags, eating paper and playing with cords. Terrible, I know, but how can you resist when they make it looks so harmless?

10:02 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hey Chrissy! I'm so glad you got some cheer in the mail while you had sick kids in the house. Sick kids are almost as bad as sick husbands. Haha! Just kidding!

I had a similar movie moment recently with Birth, as I mentioned on my blog. I absolutely would not have had just a visceral reaction to it before I had kids. What I don't understand is how Nicole Kidman, being the mother herself could do some of those scenes without throwing up. I could hardly watch it!

4:17 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Sorry about the deleted comment. I mispelled something:) Here is the comment with corrected spelling.

Motherhood totally changes a lot of views. Even in college, Medea gave me chills, but since having kids...

I've never had to be on anti-depressants, but I do have friends who have had to take them and I've seen how it helped. My uncle lost his only child through post-partum depression; this was long before it was acknowledged and helped. I wonder if my cousin would be alive if his mother had been helped. I totally agree with the anti-Tom statements and I just can't wait until Katie gets in a delivery room and is told she can't have drugs or scream because of her honey's beliefs.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Wonderful gifty goodness! I have the pattern calendar on my desk at work; love it.

I've never had kids, but Tom Cruise is clearly an idiot. He bugged me even before his recent weirdness.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh, and a tip about Bloglines. If you use Mozilla Firefox as your browser, you can download an add-on called Sage to manage your blogs and it's pretty much the same as bloglines but it opens the actual blog webpage. I just discovered it today and it is so much better than Bloglines!

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home