Sunday, December 18, 2005

All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth!

Owen got his (and my) Christmas wish last night - Bill flipped up his upper lip, and lo and behold, two little front teeth nubs have finally popped through! Hallelujah!!! We didn't think it was ever going to happen. He was being particularly hard on me, waking up every HOUR on Friday night to nurse. Last night, however, he was on a fantastic, wonderful three-hours-between-feedings schedule. Now, I know there are some who would say that's absolutely pathetic for an eight-month-old, but I am overjoyed. I've completely given up on Owen ever being like his sister, who slept through the night at six weeks and by eight months was sleeping 11-12 hours straight at night. I can't even imagine that now. And we thought we were sleep-deprived with her... The big benefit of Owen's wakefulness is that I haven't gotten a visit from good old Aunt Flo in nearly a year and a half. I'm telling myself it's worth the trade-off. Of course, even when I am allowed to sleep, I can't always do it. Everyone in the house is asleep right now, but here I am! I've got to take advantage of the peace and quiet when I can...

In other Christmas news, the felted clogs are done! Yahoo! I felted them yesterday, and they turned out absolutely lovely. I can't wait to make a pair for myself. I still can't find the @*#@&$ camera, so no pics. My BIL is dropping his off later so I can take some submission pics (and pics of the Knit Net sweater before I mail it off), so I'll get some then. I just can't imagine where that stupid thing might be!

Yesterday was the most productive day we've had in a long time. We were on fire, I tell you! I got the clogs finished and felted, put together two submission packages to get mailed off on Monday, went to the post office and braved a 45-minute line in order to get two Xmas packages mailed off, went to Target for some last-minute gifts and wrapping supplies, got our tree (which Sydney has since been decorating with anything she can find around the house - tape dispensers, toys, pens, socks...), and watched Christmas Vacation, one of the half-dozen Xmas movies we watch every year. Last night, we bundled the kids in the car and drove down to Peacock Lane, a bizarro little street in SE Portland where it's written into the homeowner covenants that they must display Christmas lights. It's quite the party down there, and we had to wait for 45 minutes in a long line of cars in order to get our holiday spirit satisfied. It was fun, but sadly Sydney fell asleep in her car seat long before we got our turn in the lane of lights. I tried to wake her up once we got there, but when she falls asleep, she's like a corpse. We might try to take her back on a weeknight when it's (hopefully) less crowded.

All right - time to make some coffee and tackle this office desk. We've decided to clear out everything but my knitting stuff so that we can take the home office deduction on our taxes. Bill got all of his junk out of here a couple weeks ago, but it's still utter chaos in here. I can't blame him anymore, so it's time for me to get organized. Maybe I'll find my camera somewhere in all this mess!


Blogger Beak-Knits said...

Yeah teeth!! Girl #2 was 10 months before she started making it through the night. I went a whole year without ever getting more than 4 hours of sleep in a row...I hope eight months is your magic number. If it wasn't for my BDS (boob delivery system), I never would have made it. It was the husband's job to deliver her for feedings and return her after she was done.

That is so cute that she's decorating the tree. One of our oldest daughter's friends from preschool is gift wrapping everything in sight. They get so into all of this.

Hope you are having a great holiday!!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Glad you got a lot done! Post pics of the clogs when you get the chance. I'd love to see them!

12:43 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Doesn't it feel great when you have one of those super-productive days?! I haven't had that feeling in a while. ;o) Glad Owen's teeth have broken through. It's funny how different siblings can be. My brother and I are night and day. Hope you find that camera!

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Siri said...

What? An eight month old who only wakes up every few hours? Consider yourself a lucky woman.
Ours didn't start sleeping through the night until they were 4 and 2....YEARS, not months. And it's certainly not every night, not even yet.
I think teething was the hardest part of parenthood so far. Glad you and your son got your Christmas wish.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home