Sunday, May 31, 2009

Just what I needed!

So, after I have my little freak-outs, life almost always seems to turn the corner soon after. At the high point of the freak-out, it seems like things are completely unmanageable and will always be that way. Then, at some point, I tell myself that it's not worth it, and it's okay if I just walk away. Nobody's going to die if I suddenly stop writing patterns or tinkering with my website. People will still learn to knit socks if I'm not there to teach them. As soon as I think about quitting, and realize that I can, I mellow out and realize that I don't want to quit. And I re-admit to myself how lucky I am to be living this life. Positive thinking begets more positive thinking, and the sun comes back out.

Yesterday, after a mostly-sleepless night brought on by restless children and too-hot-to-sleep weather, I taught a 6-hour toe-up sock workshop to a fabulous, fun bunch of students and came home feeling fired-up again. There was a little box waiting for me, and inside it were 5 copies of this!



Even though I've printed out multiple book-like copies of the book, there's nothing like seeing a glossy bound copy to take your breath away. It's so cool. Here are a few shots from the inside:







And the back cover...



Of course, the actual book will look slightly different - it will be a little smaller (8" x 10" instead of 8-1/2" x 11") and have some additional edits, but all-in-all, I got to hold my book for the first time yesterday. It was pretty awesome.

Not to mention, I managed to score a couple great blurbs for the back, one from Clara Parkes and one from Cat Bordhi. Of course, I sort of have an "in" with Cat since she's my self-publishing mentor and role model, but I was still quite honored and delighted that she liked the book so much. Just because she was my teacher doesn't mean she'd automatically love my book... Here's what will be added to the back cover:

A veritable toe-up masterclass complete with helpful worksheets, well-illustrated technique tutorials, and 15 fresh and varied patterns from someone who is truly passionate about socks.
- Clara Parkes, KnittersReview.com, author of The Knitter’s Book of Yarn and The Knitter’s Book of Wool

Any knitter will succeed and thrive under Chrissy’s tutelage in this comprehensive and impeccably organized course in toe-up socks, with its generous menu of heels, toes, custom worksheets, and stunning original designs.
- Cat Bordhi, author of New Pathways for Sock Knitters and Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles

High praise from two of my idols! I'm starting to think that this little book might just do okay.

I've got to go get poor Bill some coffee - he was up all night with Owen, who is suffering from some mighty allergies and gushing bloody noses in the wee hours. Poor little guy wakes up looking like he's been in a boxing match. I'm so glad Sydney seems to have missed out on the allergy gene...

8 Comments:

Blogger Mya said...

Awesome! I can't wait to pick up my copy at SS09!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Corrina said...

It looks amazing. Congratulations on the high praise! Woot!

1:30 PM  
Blogger pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Beautiful! Congratulations; you've worked really hard.

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Debra in NC said...

Your book looks real interesting! Will it be available in stores or just through Amazon?

4:50 PM  
Blogger grumperina said...

It looks fantastic!!! Can't wait to see it for myself!

6:17 PM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

To Debra in NC -
Yes, the book should be available through stores (at least, I hope that LYS decide to stock it!). Look for it in early August.

9:00 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Goosebumps, Chrissy, goosebumps!!! :)

9:07 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yes!! Like msbulldog...I'm all a-tingle! What a thrill. Can't wait to see your book in all its glossy glory.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home