Friday, April 04, 2008

RIP, MLK

Today is the 40th anniversary of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in Memphis, TN. I wasn't around when it happened and even though I learned all about MLK in history class, the impact of his words and life have only begun to sink in as I've gotten older and (hopefully) wiser. I feel his loss acutely this year, most likely due to the fact that it's a round anniversary and so getting a lot of media attention, but also due to the current run-up to the presidential election. This day has finally spurred me to get off the "undecided" horse and state my support for Barack Obama.

I hate being undecided. I have an opinion about everything, most of all politics. It has been an interesting spring for me while I struggled with the two Democratic candidates, trying to decide which one I favored. Since I've never lived in a state with an early primary, the decision of which candidate my party would endorse has generally been made for me. I am a lifelong, die-hard Democrat who has only voted for a different party's candidate once in my life (I voted for the Green candidate in the very strange special election for California's governor which gave us "The Governator"). In addition, all my life I have waited for the day when a woman would have a serious chance of being elected to our highest office. I've spent months unable to bring myself to discount Hillary because of that desire.

Listening to the speeches of Dr. King along with Bobby Kennedy (who announced Dr. King's death to a stunned crowd in Indianapolis that day 40 years ago), JFK and the Dalai Lama (unrelated to American politics but in the news once again as a great statesman and humanitarian) has made me realize that what we need right now is another great leader. Obama's recent speech on race proves that he has the potential to be that leader. We need someone who can speak eloquently and bring people together. Hillary doesn't have that same ease - listening to her speak is sort of stressful. She forces it. We don't need another divisive administration and I think that Hillary, despite everything good that she and Bill have done, is a polarizing figure. I'm worried about her electability. Obama seems to have the ability to inspire a good number of Republicans, something that Hillary just can't do.

Regardless, I am rather delighted that my choice in the May primary, which is looking more and more like it might actually matter, does not include a rich white man. I've been waiting a long time to make this choice, difficult as it may be.

3 Comments:

Blogger jillian said...

Right there with ya! It was so nice to actually believe in my possible candidates, instead of just choosing the least evil one. I was ambivalent about Hil for a while, having leaned towards Obama early on, but thought either choice was a positive one. But some of her campaign tactics have turned me off. However, it would still be wonderful to see a women in the White House, and is still nicer not to have only "rich white men" on the ticket.

I am waiting with baited breath not as much for the results of the remaining primaries, but for what the superdelegates decide. If they go against the popular vote (whatever it may be in the end), I think the outcry from the public will be staggering. I think the democratic party would be nuts not to support the majority vote of the people and expect to come out "alive".

12:56 PM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

Ditto. To all of that. I went through the exact same thought process, and ended up voting for Obama. I'd like to see them together on the ticket. A woman and a black man. Texas might just fall right off the map in horror.

Although, I do have to ask why Obama is considered black. Isn't he just as much white? He can call himself whatever he wants in my book, but it's still odd.

3:09 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I have to agree. I'm afraid if Hilary's elected, she won't be able to get anyone to do anything for/with her.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home