Friday, February 22, 2008

Stuck in the doldrums.

This has been a heckuva month, particularly the last week or so. I can't get excited about much of anything that I'm supposed to be doing, AKD is at a sink-or-swim crossroads and I'm trying desperately to be optimistic about where it will end up, and Owen has suddenly decided that the potty isn't such a great idea after all. To top it all off, there is yet another swarm of Ravelry threads about how cheap it is to produce patterns, why $9 is an outrageous price for a pdf pattern (I can't judge one way or the other, since I don't know what kind of a pattern it is) and how designers should just charge $2 because they'd sell so many more patterns. Geesh. I think I've been through it before so I'll spare you all of the unexpected costs involved in pattern production, but suffice it to say, don't judge a designer's business model until you've walked a mile in their handknit socks! Like I posted to the thread, the things that keep me up at night now weren't even a blip on the radar when I decided I wanted to be a knit designer. It seems like a whole slew of copyright threads have also popped up (again) - maybe it has something to do with Wednesday's eclipse? I don't know!

But enough complaining. Sydney turned 5 on Wednesday! Yay! She graciously modeled the Feather Lace Shawl I made for Twisted:



Isn't she just so grown up? Ever since I got back from Cat's retreat, she has been a total delight to be around. She was almost to the point of me wanting to give her to the next stranger that walked by the house at the end of last year, but now she's a doll. Her brother, on the other hand, has turned into the devil. Seriously. No more potty, every single process needs to be made as messy as humanly possible (particularly eating), and any frustration whatsoever is met with a screaming hissy fit. I really AM considering giving him to the next poor passer-by. It's a good thing he's so cute...



My mom's theory is that they push you to the absolute brink, until you think you can't possibly stand it any more, and then they enter another delightful phase. I'm just glad that they've decided to alternate! We'll see how long it takes for Owen to turn it back around...

There is some knitting going on around here. I've got pictures, but Blogger just stopped cooperating. So instead I'll link to a post from my celebrity sample knitter who is flashing a bit of the shawl design she's knitting up for me. I'm not the only one who's obsessed with purple, it seems!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, your kiddos are the cutest!

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, honey-
I think your mom's comment holds the key to your doldrums:
because even your work life can get cranky and hard right before a breakthrough.

Remember, there will always be the people who want you to work as hard as you possibly can - and then not be willing to pay their share...
but if they don't think your pattern is worth their money, you might not want it in their hands anyway?
Taking a hard line today in your defense-
Keep doing the good work - there are lots of people out there who appreciate it. (They're just not as vocal right now.)

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am right there with you. Ben was just pushing me to the brink today. Ugghhh!! They sure now how to push our buttons don't they. But then before he had to go to his dad's he told me he wanted to just cuddle with me in my chair and well that just melted my heart. :)

6:42 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

I have no idea how you do it. I have only one and I admire you for building your business while being a mom. Don't worry about little setbacks like potty training disasters. You have to look at the big picture and you are doing great there.
Helga

12:49 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

People have no clue what is involvedin the artistic business world. my hubby's a musician and we often hear people say inane things like,"cd's only cost pennies a piece, why should I pay $15 for it?" Duh, it's the time and effort that went into the design or music. THAT'S what you are paying for. Argh. Don't let the keep you down.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home