Sunday, March 23, 2008

Design Deconstruction

First of all, Happy Easter! My kids are both crazed little maniacs this afternoon thanks to all the chocolate that the Easter bunny left for them this morning... We're about to head over to my in-laws' for ham - hopefully that will mellow them out a little bit.

Next, I want to ask your opinion on something. I'm trying hard to get myself reinspired and energized again (I think I've got a serious case of SAD going here in rainy, gray Oregon), and I thought that it would be very interesting to do a design deconstruction over the next few months on this blog. Would you all be interested in reading about this? Here's how I see it working.

In March, I would post 4-5 sketches each week and you all could vote for your favorites each weekend. At the end of the month, I'd take the four winners and do some more sketching and swatching. I'd then ask for a vote on the winner. Once the design is chosen, I'd take you all through the process of choosing the final yarn, calculating the pattern, working up the design, etc. It would be sort of like a complete dissection of my design process.

Why would I want to do this? Well, the idea was sparked by an article in this morning's paper about blogging and how it has helped several people around the Portland area respark their creativity, lose weight, get in shape, etc. For example, a writer has decided to try something new every day and then blog about it. He's done a bunch of stuff that he never would've done without encouragement from his audience. Obviously I don't need an audience to design, but I feel like I'm a bit isolated when I'm into the heavy-duty work of pattern grading, swatching, etc. because I don't really talk about it on my blog and there aren't too many people who really understand what I'm doing. I'd love to give people a first-hand view of what I do and maybe give some insight into what's involved in putting together one of my patterns.

So...if this sounds like something you would read, let me know! I think it could end up being really fun, and it might get me to blog a little more often. We'll plan to start the first week of April with the first few sketches. Now I'm off to find some more chocolate...

18 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

It sounds like it would be really interesting to follow along! Here is my comment of encouragement!!!

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that would be really fun to follow. I always wish that I were more creative and able to design on my own, but I think part of it is being a big chicken.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

Hi Chrissy,
I think it's a great idea. As I've told you before, your blog has been so inspiring to me and I really enjoy reading your posts. I think it would be really interesting to read about your design process from start to finish. Everyone has such individual approaches to this that it's always fun to read about :) Happy Easter.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Cindy, aka Maxfun said...

As someone who is trying to write down some of my sock patterns so that others can understand them, I'd really love to get a glimpse of your process. :)

9:38 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I'd be interested in reading it! *Not that I'm biased or anything. . . :)

9:49 PM  
Blogger knitting harvest said...

Sounds great! I look forward to participating. I love your designs and am interested to see how everything comes to be.

5:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would love to do that! Maybe it will kick me in the arse and get me back to blogging (not just throwing a Utube video clip up there!)

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a designer too, but I'd be interested in your design process.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

As someone who is just beginning to try to design socks, I would be fascinated to read how someone else gets it done.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

That sounds like fun! I design a lot of my own stuff, but only for myself. I'd really enjoy seeing what other people like, and why, and how you accommodate their preferences.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Sounds like fun! For wanna-be designers it would be great to see the process that goes into the product.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I would love to get a peek into the design process, and appreciate your willingness to share. This'll be great!

9:33 AM  
Blogger LavenderSheep said...

I think it would be really interesting! I would love to see how your design process works!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Ebony said...

I'd love to see this process through with you. I might even be able to work through a simple design of my own by looking over your shoulder, so to speak.

I say go for it! I'm sure all of your readers would appreciate it.

11:18 AM  
Blogger leah said...

I think it sounds great! It just may give me courage to consider designing something myself. Please help us!

7:50 AM  
Blogger Mims said...

that's a great idea, i'd love to read it!

4:09 PM  
Blogger skywitch said...

Sounds great!

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm late to the party, but ABSOLUTELY!

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home