Monday, November 19, 2007

Oops! I did it again!

I totally forgot to post yesterday. Did you miss me? I know you did!

Yesterday was the day of cleaning. Again. My mom is coming tomorrow, and she's going to think she's in the wrong house, it's so clean around here. If only I could figure out how to get my yarn organized!

I've also been cooking like crazy, can you believe it? I made menu plans last week and this, and so far, we've been sticking to 'em. Unfortunately, my enthusiasm for cleanliness was dampened a bit when I found out the cat had peed in the middle of my nicely made bed...stupid cat. We thought she'd outgrown the whole peeing in the house thing, but I think she's mad at being cooped up inside so much lately with the bad weather we've been having.

I keep meaning to write a long post about my current obsession - shopping locally - but I don't know if I have the energy after a full day at work. I'll just leave you with the dilemma that stumped me for about 15 minutes at the grocery store yesterday in the hopes that maybe you can help. Is it better to buy organic milk in a plastic jug or paper carton that is produced locally, or is it better to get organic milk from California, a little further away, that's in returnable glass jugs? On the one hand, local is good because it takes less energy to get the milk to the store - but does that energy savings offset the energy that it takes to make/recycle the non-reusable paper/plastic cartons/jugs? After much agonizing in front of the dairy case, I opted for whipping cream in a glass bottle and no milk for the moment since we still have half a gallon in the fridge. What would you do?

In any case, we're incredibly lucky here in Portland to have the most amazing grocery chain ever - New Seasons. It makes those environmentally-conscious eating decisions so much easier than shopping at, say, Albertsons (or that evil natural-food-is-only-good-because-it's-trendy-and-expensive chain, Whole Foods...).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, I am glad I am not the only one stumped on dairy. It makes your head spin doesn't it?

I am a bit jealous over the grocery stores, we don't even have the, ahem, whole foods option...Our local grocer does pretty well with the organic though, so it's not all bad.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home