Thursday, September 13, 2007

Oh, my!

I should really be going to bed, but I just love the peace and quiet around the house once the kids are asleep. Since Sydney started school, we are working really hard to get the kids to bed before 9. During the summer they stay up with us (and honestly they've just gotten to the age where they don't wake up screaming every 15 minutes if we're downstairs and not up with them), but I'm loving this early-to-bed stuff. I feel like I need to take advantage of it while I can!

Life is reaching the overwhelming point once again. I know I whinge about this every other week or so, but I can't seem to break the cycle. Just when I feel like I'm on top of things and everything is swimming along nicely, I take on too much and all of a sudden I'm back in the hole. Or else I remember the 50 things that I'm supposed to be doing (like FINALLY drawing for the Sock-A-Month 3 prizes...the KAL has only been over for a month and a half...) and the walls close in again.

To make matters a tad bit more stressful, Bill's company is converting all of their sales consultants from employees to independent contractors. He'll get a much bigger commission from each sale, but there will be a few iffy months at the beginning of the year before things start kicking in. We're not one of those smart couples who has no credit card debt and a 6-month emergency savings account... I'm trying to get my business in the black ASAP so that I'm not draining our personal money anymore paying for my office expenses. So far so good, but it's not easy when most publishers don't pay you for your work until the book/magazine/whatever is actually published. For books, this could mean waiting like two years to get paid! Fortunately my wholesale patterns and teaching give a little influx of cash to cover things like TNNA booth registration and that hefty fee for upgrading from affiliate member to wholesale member.

Should I get myself a beer?

I just charged up my iPod and I'm having fun listening to a bunch of stuff I finally got loaded onto it. I go through these phases where I'll listen obsessively to that thing and then I'll put it down and won't pick it up again for 9 months. Right now I've got episodes of Cast-On from the whole summer that I'm listening to along with some books (including the Yarn Harlot's latest, Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Mineral" and Bill Clinton's "Giving"). One thing I don't like about knitting is that it has turned me from a voracious reader into a very occasional one. Audiobooks help fill that void a little bit.

I should also announce that I officially have a booth space out on the lawn at Oregon Flock and Fiber on the 22nd-23rd. I'll be clearing out the last of that sock yarn and will potentially have some good deals. For sock yarn fans, I'd also highly recommend checking out the Chameleon Colorworks booth. The owner & dyer, Janel, is the editor of Spindlicity and has this amazing merino that is unbelievably soft. I saw it at TNNA and went crazy for it. If you're there, definitely stop by and say hi!

Finally, for any of you on Ravelry, I'm thinking of starting a Chicken Lovin' Knitters group. I know you chicken people are out there - help me out! And now, it's off to bed. I will not go back on Ravelry, I will not go back on Ravelry, I will not... Oh, screw it, who am I kidding? Who needs sleep, anyway?

6 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

I can't wait for OFFF, now I have at least 3 special booths I want to visit!! I think I need to write them down so I don't forget.

I would join your chicken group. Tina has turned me into a chicken spotter. Everytime I turn around now I see chickens on something. :)

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! We're reading the same things, and on the same backlog of Cast-on episodes!

And yeah, I know that feeling of the several things you've forgotten about piling down on you.

One word: BREATHE.

9:07 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Does this mean you will be designing a cute little knitted chicken for us? *grin*

10:22 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

A chicken lovers' knitting group? Can you imagine the strange Google hits you'll get with that? It's almost worth doing just for that...

10:40 AM  
Blogger Tonya B said...

Yes, you should have a beer. I think it makes all things better.

Crafty Girl

5:23 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Yes, have a beer, take a deep breath, and you'll be fine.

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home