Sunday, August 26, 2007

Happy & Sad

I'm about to run out the door, but I wanted to write quickly before I lost my train of thought. First, happy news - Diddy laid her first egg today! I will add pictures later of the lovely, light-blue little egg she produced. Unfortunately it was cracked so we can't eat it, but I'm looking forward to many more eggs in our future.

Now on a sadder note, I just read Larissa's post on the loss of our lovely Mabel's. I was crushed when I first heard the news, but we were in the midst of our vacation and I couldn't really process it. Larissa's post brought back the memory of Mabel's and what it really meant to me. After all, Mabel's is the place where I first got back into knitting. It's where my mommy knitting group got together and I made some of my best friends. It's where I discovered that there's a world of yarn beyond Michael's and Jo-Ann. It's where I decided that I wanted to figure out how to make a career out of this knitting thing. I owe Mabel's so much, even though I didn't get down there that often (especially recently). Sadly, they closed up shop while I was still out of town, so I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye.

Sometimes you just don't know what you've got until it's gone. Cliche, I know, but so very, very true.

2 Comments:

Blogger Niki said...

Congrats on the egg, and I am sorry for your "loss" I hope you have a better week, and the next egg will be just perfect!

8:45 PM  
Blogger peppy65 said...

what no Mabel's - I loved that place. It sounds like there will be another knit shop there though. We have lost two knit shops out in my area Yarnin around and the knit shop in troutdale. I wish I knew the the secret to success.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home