Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Whoops!

This morning, my brain and reality were not working together. For some reason, I'd gotten it in my head that Sydney's school started on the day after Labor Day. I also knew that school started on the 5th. As you may well know, the day after Labor Day is not the 5th. Whoopsie! I talked Bill into taking Sydney to school this morning since she was acting reluctant and I didn't want to have to drag her into school, kicking and screaming, and carry Owen on my hip at the same time (to prevent him from running into traffic).

Bill was silly enough to trust my handle on the calendar and took her. He brought her back around 9 and informed me that school doesn't start until tomorrow. He was even nice enough to bring me a sugar-free vanilla latte. What a guy! Needless to say, I don't have any doubts about who will be bringing her tomorrow, reluctant or not!

We are also making a concerted attempt at potty training here in Chez Knittin' Mom. We bought Owen a potty that makes music when you go, along with a bunch of underpants featuring characters from Cars, Go Diego Go, and Elmo. So far Sydney has been much more interested in both the underpants and the potty than Owen, but we'll see what happens. My evil plan is to get him potty trained this fall and then put him in preschool in January. How heavenly that would be! I always feel guilty about pushing my kids into school as early as possible because one of my best friends is a dedicated homeschooler and I completely agree with all of her reasons for doing it. I bandy the idea of homeschooling about every month or two, but I need to resign myself to the fact that I just don't have it in me. I've met so many homeschooled kids who are smart, polite, and just generally lovely and it makes me want to do it. But, like I said a moment ago, I just don't have it in me. I can't wait until both the kids are in school full-time. I'm not overly impressed with my parenting skills as it is, and I figure that spending 50% of their time away from me (or rather, away from the television, which is just too good of a babysitter when I'm working on a tight deadline) isn't a bad thing. I sure wish being a parent was easier...

But enough complaining. I've got some knitting to talk about! I got my fall pattern books from Classic Elite today, featuring the three patterns I designed for them. The Cabled Coat, the Kids' Cabled Coat and the Lacy Scarf. I was delighted to see the Kids' Cabled Coat featured in the Classic Elite ad on the back cover of the most recent Yarn Market News!

I also have a few new patterns that I've added to my pattern line. You can get them through selected retailers, including downloads from Sandra Singh (I'm hoping Knot Another Hat has them up soon as well, but since Sarah has a relatively new baby, I'm not sure when it will happen!).

First, the Feather Lace Shawl:



This is made with a single skein of Handmaiden Sea Silk or 100g of your favorite fingering-weight yarn. It's an easy repeat that you knit until it's big enough (or you run out of yarn) and then bind off.

Next, Hearts & Snowflakes for kids:



I designed these for the kiddos last winter and they wore them (to great acclaim) all year. I think they'll still fit, although I may need to hunt for a lost mitten or two. Someday I'm going to make adult versions since Bill has asked several times for a matching hat in the snowflake pattern...

And another non-sock pattern, the Spa Cloth Set:



His-and-hers washcloths with fun but not too difficult stitch patterns.

Finally, my lone sock offering - Mix-and-Match Rib Toe-Up Socks:



This is a "learn toe-up" pattern which features three different ribbing stitches that can be used on any of the socks. It's sized from newborn to Men's M. I'm currently teaching my Twisted class using this pattern, which is a very interesting process but a subject for its own post.

Since I'm no longer selling patterns myself, I'm going to be releasing designs a couple times a year. Right now, my test knitters are busy working on two summer sweaters (a tank top in GGH Touch Me - yummy! - and a top in dk-weight) and of course more socks. Can't wait to see what people think of them at TNNA in January!

Hope you all had a great Labor Day weekend - I'm back to pattern grading. How exciting...

6 Comments:

Blogger Yarnhog said...

That's something I would do! As for homeschooling, I seriously (albeit briefly) considered it for my older son, who is what they call "profoundly gifted" and was really bored in school. I concluded that a throttled child and a crazy mom would not be an improvement. I made arrangements with the school for a special curriculum for him, and he's thriving. I volunteer at the school and spend lots of time with my kids out of school, but I'm not cut out to spend 24 hours a day with my kids. I need alone time and adult time, and I don't think anyone should feel guilty about that. Motherhood is not about sacrificing your entire life and identity. For moms who want to homeschool, I think that's wonderful. For those of us who don't, there are lots of great schools out there, and going to school with other kids provides some real benefits. Don't beat yourself up over your choice. Your kids will grow up to be smart, educated, wonderful people, with a mom who loves them and isn't confined to a straightjacket.

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Homeschooling is great for those moms who wouldn't completely lose it if they chose to do it. I am in the same boat as you, there are many of us out there. :) LOVE the shawl, fantastic! So you're doing just fine as a momma. And that comes from a momma who's almost doing backflips that her 7-year-old son started 2nd grade today and the 4-year-old son starts preschool on Friday and it's a 3 day a week program. If momma's not happy, NOBODY'S happy.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Oh Chrissy, don't be so hard on yourself. Parenting is hard! We all have times where we question our decisions and abilities, but I know that you love your kids and do the very best you can.

I often daydream about being able to be with the kids all day, but I know I would have a very hard time too. I really admire you folks who do it.

You and Bill are providing the kids with an excellent education and wonderful opportunities. No reason to feel guilty about that. We all have to make the decisions that are best for our families.

One last bit - Colin always tells me that what our kids need most are parents that are happy and sane. Same goes for your house.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Lyndsey-Jane said...

better to be a day early than a day late, and hey, you got a sugar-free vanilla latte out of it. Karl would think about the coffee, not have a clue what to order me and leave the shop. He's a tea drinker, not a coffee man!

10:52 AM  
Blogger bigyarnmama said...

What a good man you have to remember that you need a latte!! Homeschooling is amazing but we are not all cut out for it. I felt bad for a while that I couldn't handle it but I realized that I do my children a service by having some grown-up time and then I can be nicer when we are all together. You are a great mom and as long as there is love they will be fine!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I agree with everyone...homeschooling is not for everyone....I also needed my "adult" time when my kids were growing up. I believe every parent does....
Oh, and I just love your shawl..I never really liked shawl's until I started this knitting blog and have seen so many beautiful ones. I just might need to try one out.
I just bought the "interveave knits" fall edition and love the snowflake socks....is the hat pattern published too?

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home